Suggestions on Single Malt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK so with all the talk of Ardbeg I wanted to find that, but could not. I ended up getting a bottle of Laphroaig (how do you pronounce that?) 10 year old. It is quite good, but as Scotch mentioned, it is a bit over the top. It tastes like I am drinking a campfire, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think my next bottle I would like to be similar to this, but just a bit less smokey. What would be a goot bottle based on that description?

At the risk of being repetitive, try the Dalwhinnie. Even die hard Islay enthusiasts agree it's excellent Scotch, at least in my experience. You at least owe yourself a sip or two! :D (Where's the drunk smiley?)

Highland Park, Balvenie double wood, Talisker, all would be less smokey than an Islay scotch. enjoy!

OK so with all the talk of Ardbeg I wanted to find that, but could not. I ended up getting a bottle of Laphroaig (how do you pronounce that?) 10 year old. It is quite good, but as Scotch mentioned, it is a bit over the top. It tastes like I am drinking a campfire, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think my next bottle I would like to be similar to this, but just a bit less smokey. What would be a goot bottle based on that description?

The 'ph' is not seen often in Scottish Gaelic, so I'm not sure I know how to pronounce that part (I'm only a rudimentary Gaelic student at best), but I believe the 'oaig' would be similar to saying 'Oak' or "Aik", possibly being 'Laproak' or 'Laproch'.

This thread got me thinking and I wound up drinking the last dram of Dalwhinney in the cabinet. When I went to replace it, I got sticker shock--my old bottle (no idea how long ago I bought it) had a label of $34. The new price is more like $56! I'm not sure I like it that much, though it lasts long enough I'll probably break down. Still, an over 50% increase? Sheesh!

Probably the weak dollar. In August 2003, the Euro was about $1.11, but now it's over $1.43.

This thread got me thinking and I wound up drinking the last dram of Dalwhinney in the cabinet. When I went to replace it, I got sticker shock--my old bottle (no idea how long ago I bought it) had a label of $34. The new price is more like $56! I'm not sure I like it that much, though it lasts long enough I'll probably break down. Still, an over 50% increase? Sheesh!
$49.99 here: DALWHINNIE 15YR HIGHLAND - Wine Exchange

$53.99 nearer your home: http://www.winechateau.com/vsku1003992.html (and only $51.39 if you buy a case!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom