Thanksgiving-time Fruit- Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imp

Assistant Cook
Anyone partake of home-brewing or wine-making? This time of year, I get the yen to catch a post-turkey day sale of Cranberries. Last year our 99-cent store had a mountain of Ocean Spray lb. bags, two for a dollar!

I "mash" them using my wife's blender:
dec_cr11.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The "primary fermenter" (I hate such formality!) is a 5-gallon food-grade bucket:

From there, after about 7 days, the mash is filtered through a pillow-case, and finishes fermenting in big glass carboys, which, fortunately, I've been able to preserve over the years. Gettin' hard to find. imp

Cranberries are great for winemaking because they have so little fine pulp, that the skins & seeds easily filter out, and the resulting yeast/fruit/sugar/water mixture settles out quickly and cleanly. Also, amazingly deep color!

I got interested in making wine while living in Missouri, where we had plum and peach trees, tons of fruit, and only two people to eat them, allowing for the birds! I happened upon a guy's site who took to winemaking after getting out of the Service. His list of recipes begins with "Allegheny Shadbush Wine" and ends with "Zucchini Wine", with over a hundred others alphabetically. He explains how each fruit or vegetable type responds to the process, some very well, others so-so. I've never tried Artichoke Wine, nor Coffee Wine. His list: winemaking: requested recipes (Maraschino-Chocolate Sweet Mead)

My oldest brother started a tradition of serving Cold Duck.:innocent::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom