"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Thanksgiving Wine

Anyone know what the HOT wine for Thanksgiving 2004 is? I can't find a recommendation anywhere, perhaps its just too early. I like to serve a white and a red, I always fall back to a Riesling and a Malbec. Share the secret!!!! Thanks very much.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Head Chef

Haven't heard what it will be like, but Beaujolais Nouveau is always released the third week in November, and it usually goes pretty well with Thanksgiving dinners.

It's a red wine that made through carbonic maceration, and is meant to be drank young.

John

Old 10-31-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

The guy in the liqour shop yesterday said the Pinot Noirs in Oregon are fantastic, a real hot seller on LI right now. Never had them. Also he recommended a Chardonnay for the white.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Haven't heard what it will be like, but Beaujolais Nouveau is always released the third week in November, and it usually goes pretty well with Thanksgiving dinners.

It's a red wine that made through carbonic maceration, and is meant to be drank young.

John
I usually get a bottle of Beaujolias from someone every year for my birthday, which just happens to fall during the third week of November. Tres convenient!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Hahn Estates Meritage. Quite a fabulous red - meritage means that there are several grapes, but the majority is merlot. It is moderately dry, with a great nose. I open the bottle and can smell it just sitting on the counter. Around great red is Wolf Blass Black Label Cabernet/Shiraz from Australia. It is a bit more expensive - $40 - but really great for a nice dinner.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:47 PM   #6

Man, but Kansasgirl, someone is just HAVING you...

Wolf Blass is indeed a great winery of Australia, and one of the better Shiraz type's you can ever taste, but the whole lin is available in Canada for $15-19 CDN a bottle...somebody is STABBING you on that sort of pricing...

If you are into "white wines" you shoukd buy Chilean, they have the old growth roots that were killed off in Europe, and are/were underspriced, and worth laying don...

Lifter
Old 10-31-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Really? I had always thought of this particular wine store as being quite competitive and honest. I've appreciated the way they have come to know my tastes and thus can recommend wines I always enjoy. I am very intrigued about the pricing now - I might have to do some investigation. I agree about the Chilean chardonnays - they are really fabulous. Have you tried the Hahn Meritage?
Old 10-31-2004, 11:35 PM   #8

No, but I'm just a buddy of guys that are into the wine thing, and cannot claim to have the "tongue" or whatever to taste a difference...

I'm just stating that the Napa Valley isn't the end of the road for tasting, and you Americans should get a bit more worldly, and such worldly wines are not terrifically expensive, given Dubya doesn't tax you to death on them, because I'm not dumping on your vinter and his prices...

Lifter
Old 10-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My husband just got a bottle of Hans Meritage for his birthday - we drank it the other evening - EXCELLENT!!!!! Good recommendation kansasgirl!!! I'm a huge fan of "champagne" so that's usually my choice for a "white". If we open the bottle I bought him before Thanksgiving I'll let you know how it is Lifter. It's an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001 The Coppermine Road

Last night felt like a champagne night - went to a neighbor's halloween party - ended up drinking 5 bottles - that hit the wallet hard but you know, it was really, really good...and you can't take it with you! 8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55

John
i saw a thing once about how the big celebrations for beaujolais nouveau coming out in november was just a sales gimmick. it just so happens that the youngest wines, i think a year old, are ready for their earliest consumption starting some time in the fall, so in order to get a kickstart on sales, some frenchman thought up the idea of making it a celebration/spectacle to show off the new wines.

i don't know why, but it tastes better when served from a large decorated ceramic mug...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote