The Wine Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but what do you consider "room temp?" Ice cubes water down the wine.

Room temp is getting it from the store, bringing it home and poping the cork. lol I let a good bottle breathe a bit. I'm not into the whole perfect climatic conditions thing. Some people pop them in the fridge for a few minutes. For hearty dishes like classic lassagna or steak and potatoes I prefer room temp.

Yeah, I know a cube waters it down a bit, but a red goes down better in hotter weather that way. To each his own. I definately wouldn't put a cube in a good bottle though.

Jakobs Creek is good one, especially white.

Late Harvest is pretty cheap and basic, but can be considered as a good "everyday" wine

Jakobs Creek is good one, especially white.

Late Harvest is pretty cheap and basic, but can be considered as a good "everyday" wine

I just ordered 6 bottles of Arcturo Late Harvest Rielsing shipped to me from Michigan. This is a delicious, on the sweet side wine and I love it. But cheap?? Not at $20.00 per bottle. But worth every cent.

BTW, I just discovered Prosecco over the holidays and will use this instead of champagne from now on. Good stuff, cheaper than champagne and we all loved it in Mimosas. I blogged about it.

My DH and I like reds. We have been making our own wine from kits for almost 3 years now. The kits we like best are Vintner's Reserve either in a Merlot or Cabernet. A kit makes about 30 bottles of wine. And after your initial cost of the bottles, and the carboy to make the wine in it can be very economical. Not to mention we control the amount of sulfites that are in the wine so we do not get headaches from a red wine.
It really is pretty easy making your own wine we do it in our kitchen.

I love the Cannonball Cabernet.. Its delish.. Tasted it @ a wine tasting event by Bottlenotes(Around the World in 80 Sips).. Jus too yumm!

I'm glad to see that this thread is still alive. I have nothing to add at the moment. Due to financial circumstances (I'm totally broke) I'm presently drinking REALLY cheap malbecs ($3/bottle) and am embarrassed to name them, but wine afficianados please post here. We read and appreciate all comments.

When we have money (right now we're broke) we drink Pinot Grigio for the most part. In the winter we may switch up to a nice and dry cabernet sauvignon (my favorite), my fav so far has been a mid to late 90's Mt. Veeder Cab ... oh so good, the tanin's are bitin' and the tobacco n cherry flavors are delectable.

Several years ago, as a joke, I bought my husband a bottle of cab named Fat Bastard (lol). I thought it would just be junk wine and we would keep it for the bottle. But we opened it and it was actually pretty good. We also tried the chardonnay and the shiraz. All affordable and all nice drinking wines. Now, we give a bottle to our accountant every year at the end of tax season. :LOL: He loves wine!!

Several years ago, as a joke, I bought my husband a bottle of cab named Fat Bastard (lol). I thought it would just be junk wine and we would keep it for the bottle. But we opened it and it was actually pretty good. We also tried the chardonnay and the shiraz. All affordable and all nice drinking wines. Now, we give a bottle to our accountant every year at the end of tax season. :LOL: He loves wine!!

I was a little leery to try it ... it had to be a joke wine. But it did turn out to be pretty good :)

Back
Top Bottom