"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
but what do you consider "room temp?" Ice cubes water down the wine.
Room temp is getting it from the store, bringing it home and poping the cork. lol I let a good bottle breathe a bit. I'm not into the whole perfect climatic conditions thing. Some people pop them in the fridge for a few minutes. For hearty dishes like classic lassagna or steak and potatoes I prefer room temp.

Yeah, I know a cube waters it down a bit, but a red goes down better in hotter weather that way. To each his own. I definately wouldn't put a cube in a good bottle though.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #42
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
While I like nearly everything, I'm primarily a red-wine kind of guy. Pressed to choose a favorite, I'd have to pick Cabernet Sauvignon, either a good Napa cab or something from Washington's Columbia Valley. Since I'm a poor student, no Chateau Margeux, Petrus or Screaming Eagle for me, I'm afraid. My "hobby", if you will, is to truffle-pig out good wines in the $10 or less range. Occasionally I'll splurge and pop for a $20 bottle, but that's as high as I go unless it's a very special occasion.

A few of my favorites (and as most are under $20 I'm not going to list vintages):

Cabernet Sauvignon: J. Lohr Seven Oaks Reserve, Hess Collection, Moon Mountain, 14 Hands, Root: 1 (Chile), Sterling (Vintner's Collection), Columbia Crest Two Vines, Avalon (Napa Valley), Chateau St. Michelle, Liberty School, Red Diamond, Cellar No 8. Cab-on-the-cheap: Fish Eye, Hardy's (yeah, in the box...).
Merlot: Columbia Crest, Pine & Post, Red Diamond, Chateau St. Michelle, Sterling, Black Opal, Rosemount, Bogle, Clos Du Bois. Merlot-on-the-cheap: Fish Eye, Linemans, Barefoot.
Pinot Noir: Cono Sur, Mark West, Mirassou. Pinot-on-the-cheap: French-made Pinot Evil.
Zinfandale: Bogle Old Vine Zin, Ravenwood.
Shiraz/Sirah: Yellowtail Reserve, Rosemount, Black Opal. Shiraz-on-the-cheap: Yellowtail in the magnum.
Malbec: I've only had a few, all from Chile or Argentina. The Norton Malbec is probably the best I've had, but I'm still experimenting.
Sauvignon Blanc: Bogle, Root:1, Snoqualmie, Columbia Crest
Chardonnay: 14 Hands, Columbia Crest (Grand Estates & Two Vines), Kendal Jackson (although a bit overrated). My list isn't long here; I'm not a big Chard' fan, except with food- I generally prefer Sauv Blanc to Chardonnay.
Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris: Columbia Crest Grand Estates, Cavit, Linemans. Pinot G-on-the-cheap: Pinot Evil, Yellowtail (the latter is really a bit too sweet & fruity, but not hideous).
Riesling: I avoid them except when paired with spicy foods; then I'll take a Chateau St. Michelle, Shmidt Sohne, Relax or Mirassou.
Gewurtziminer: Haven't developed a taste- it's just too syrup sweet for me. I'll cook with it if it's around, in which case it's okay in chicken or seafood dishes. For that I'll just use Columbia Crest.

This is by no means an exhaustive lists and excludes blends like Bordeux, but it's a good cross section of what I've been drinking. Here are a few I've got in my "cellar" that I haven't tried yet:

House Wine: A Washinton blend that's basically a Bordeux Clone.
Campo Veijo Rioja Crianza: A Spanish red in the Old Style.
Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon: A "high end" California box wine; this one has received pretty good reviews, so I'm optimistic.
Avalon Cabernet (2005, "California", not "Napa Valley"): Bought this to see if any of the "magic" of the Napa trickles down to this one.

Eventually I'd like to try the Columbia Crest Reserves and spendier J. Lohr's, both around $35-40. And I'd like to branch out into a few more French wines and "Super Tuscans." And don't forget, in a few weeks we should have a new season's Beaujolais Nouveau!

Rob, I love your suggestions because I too am a cheapskate when it comes to wines, not always, but frequently! Interesting you should mention the Cono Sur Pinot, because I was just talking today with a wine expert friend of mine regarding wine pairings for turkey and Thanksgiving, and that is the first wine he recommended, the 2007 Cono Sur Pinot Noir. (You can read more and his review in the blog in my signature if you wish). I have had the Black Box Cab, on a camping trip, and was delightfully suprised, as were my fellow campers. We found that it traveled well too, and as we had a 40 minute hike to our camping spot and it was much lighter than bottles. Sometimes, even if you are a food or wine snob, you have to know when to check your attitude at the door!

Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #43
Head Chef

Ooops! Forget to keep track of this thread...I'll try to post a few more cheapo faves when I get the chance!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

Jakobs Creek is good one, especially white.

Late Harvest is pretty cheap and basic, but can be considered as a good "everyday" wine
Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #45
Master Chef

I watched a new independent film called Bottle Shock, about a 1976 Paris wine tasting contest and a California winery. I loved this film. Catch it if you get the chance.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Freak View Post
Jakobs Creek is good one, especially white.

Late Harvest is pretty cheap and basic, but can be considered as a good "everyday" wine
I just ordered 6 bottles of Arcturo Late Harvest Rielsing shipped to me from Michigan. This is a delicious, on the sweet side wine and I love it. But cheap?? Not at $20.00 per bottle. But worth every cent.

BTW, I just discovered Prosecco over the holidays and will use this instead of champagne from now on. Good stuff, cheaper than champagne and we all loved it in Mimosas. I blogged about it.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #47
Senior Cook

My DH and I like reds. We have been making our own wine from kits for almost 3 years now. The kits we like best are Vintner's Reserve either in a Merlot or Cabernet. A kit makes about 30 bottles of wine. And after your initial cost of the bottles, and the carboy to make the wine in it can be very economical. Not to mention we control the amount of sulfites that are in the wine so we do not get headaches from a red wine.
It really is pretty easy making your own wine we do it in our kitchen.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

I love the Cannonball Cabernet.. Its delish.. Tasted it @ a wine tasting event by Bottlenotes(Around the World in 80 Sips).. Jus too yumm!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Campo de Borja Borsao - you won't believe the taste for the money! Also Campo de Borja Vina Borgia.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #50
Senior Cook

I'm glad to see that this thread is still alive. I have nothing to add at the moment. Due to financial circumstances (I'm totally broke) I'm presently drinking REALLY cheap malbecs ($3/bottle) and am embarrassed to name them, but wine afficianados please post here. We read and appreciate all comments.

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote