"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

Laphroaig and Lagavulin. All others are imitators. Preferably 15 year or older.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrave View Post
Conventional wisdom has it that "whiskey hangovers" don't apply with single-malts.
Ohhhh... Conventional wisdom is so wrong. I've had a couple of pretty bad ones after an all-nighter with a bottle of islay malt.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Glen

My gosh! can't believe how the shelves are so empty. I was lucky to get one with the name Glen something and remembered that from this thread. Others were not around. Do people really drink at Christmas? Thought it was always New Years. I asked the guy who is working there if he ever gives samples? Not at this time of year. Everybody knows what they want. I didn't want to tell him I asked all of you.

People just won't even give you chance to get break in traffic. Even though they are waiting for light to change. How ignorant. Felt like opening the bottle right there. People do make you want to forget about them, if only way is to take a nip or two or maybe three. Got to calm down. You think I got a good one? Doesn't look like very big bottle. But everyone said to sip it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
Head Chef

Glen what? You didn't tell us what you got.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Glen what? You didn't tell us what you got.
Glenlivit, did you ever try it phinz? I am only going by what some of the group said they thought was pretty good. Just curious what brand Mr. Brokow drinks.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #16
Head Chef

My gosh, you can't turn someone onto single malts with Lagavulin or Laphroaig, although I have been to both of their distilleries - prefer Laphroaig.

And as a student was able to buy Laphroaig in Chicago for eight bucks a bottle.. My introduction to single malts.

But those two are a bit harsh - very peaty and have a distint taste of iodine.

Since I was weaned on them I prefer the taste. But when I want to introduce folks to single malts I do not choose them.

I would suggest Highland Park. The twelve year old is what you usually find and it is very nice.

The eighteen year old is far more expensive and is exquisite - but for a starter I would suggest the twelve.

Other than that Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, at least to my taste, are fairly light.

Of course if you can find them Bowmore, Bruichladdich, both from Islay (pronounced I-la) and are gentle to my palate at least.

There are many others. But if you are going to start on single malts speak to the guy at the liquour store. You want something light.

Again I recommend the Highland Park.

Just my take on things.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
Executive Chef

auntdot, you are always so knowledgeable when it comes to taste of many things. Thank you, do appreciate your comments and now since this bottle of Glenlivit is not going to be enough for the crew, will have to look for this Highland Park. I feel so ignorant when I go into the liquor department. That is why employees sell me the 'specials'. Consistently tell me that I will like it. I have found what you people suggest is from knowledge not the cost of the product.

Guess here I go again into this HAPPY crowd of gift givers. Must bother people to 'give' to others else why would they all be so bitter? First time I worked part time after school, I spent many of my paychecks which were not huge and just bought others 'small' gift. To this day, I often think about whether it was stupid or thoughtful. Memories! Thankful I still have them.

This year I will be 'toasting' Tom Brokow and my faithful friends here.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #18
Head Chef

Kitch, thank you.

If I have learned anything it is because I have been around a long time and folks were kind enough to tell me things.

Oh yeah, and I do have a love of books.

But single malts, I love them all. But many folks find some of them difficult.

In my experience if it starts with a Glen it is probably fairly gentle. Cannot go wrong with Highland Park - I give it as a special gift.

It comes from the Orkney Islands. I think I may want to go there. Went to the Shetlands and it was great. Orkney sounds a bit sparse, but we can have fun any where.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Highland Park must be hard find. More places handle this Glenlivit, only different prices. One place offered to special order but due to being special would be additional cost. since you suggested it, I would really like to try it as I trust your opinion. thanks again for sharing.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef

If you ever see GLen Farclas cask strength (104 proof) buy it. One of the joys of single malts, and any fine small batch sipping whiskey , is the variety and the chance to taste tour that variety over the course of time.