Tom Brokow likes single malt scotch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Just heard an interview on radio with Tom Brokow. He said he is fond of 'single malt scotch'. Could someone tell me what this is and name a good brand. Has my curiosity.

Thanks

It's scotch that is unblended.

Some kinds of scotch (Johnny Walker) blends scotch from more than one dstillery and made from malt and grain.

Single malt is made from only malt and from only one distillery.

Single malt scotch whiskey got very trendy about 10 years ago. There are many, many brands and some are very expensive. The more reasonably priced (and widely available) brands are Glenlivit and Macallen. The higher end brands often taste very much of smoke and peat moss.

Scotch Whisky Distilleries

Do a taste test of Johnny Walker Black and Glenlivit at a bar some time.

One of my favorites is the Balvenie DoubleWood single malt. It is traditionally aged in oak whiskey casks then transfered to first fill sherry casks. Very smooth, tasty scotch.

Scotches come from 4 areas all are smokey but: Highland (floral) Islay (west coast, salty smokey iodiney) Speyside (east coast musky) Lowland (peatey)

common single malts: Glen Livet, Laphroig, Balvenie, Glen Fiddich, (and many more)

good blends (Johnny Walker Black Label, Dewers White Label, Pinch, Bells, and a few others)

most other blends have a distict raw aftertaste of neutral spirits

Like a small batch Bourbon, single malt is pricey because their is only a limited amount per year.

If you like a fine sipping whiskey, single malt is one of them to enjoy (as is also a fine rye and a fine Irish)

When I was living in Edinburgh, I always ordered Talisker's when I wanted a whiskey. It was affordable, and the only single-malt I knew of anyway. There was never any question about ice -- single-malts are to be enjoyed "neat" (no mixer), and at room temperature. A glass of water on the side would be provided, to dilute to taste.

Conventional wisdom has it that "whiskey hangovers" don't apply with single-malts. I have no reason to doubt this, but really, I never drank enough to worry about hangovers in any case. I did wonder, however, whether this might be a rationale for heavy drinking (no need to worry about the morning after). You can get reeling drunk with a single-malt just as well as with any other hard liquor, and I knew a few who did this more or less routinely. What their mornings were like, I never discovered.

Single malt is generally so expensive you don't want to drink enough of it to get hammered. Blended scotches sometimes mix vodka with their blens. My favorite is
Glen Morangie Sherry Cask Aged. Tom Brokaw has good taste.

Grateful

Thank you all for the response. Just before I am about to venture out into the crowds and make my search. This will surely help as I have specific brands to look for. Rather than having someone suggest 'special' that I usually wind up pour out cause no one seems to like it.

I respect Tom Brokow and have for long time. I did not know that he was going to be on radio show I listen to and when he mentioned this, I knew and have so much faith that I would be able to find someone who knew what he was talking about. I feel my world is so limited and being able to ask all of you about your opinions is a true gift to me. I thank you all for your time and opinions.

Now I just hope I am able to afford it. Must be really a 'special' price. But as most of you say, worth it. Maybe I will just give myself a gift and think of Mr. Brokow. Although he would rather have me buy his book.

I'd highly suggest tasting it before you invest in a bottle. Just becasue TB likes it doesn't mean you will.

At a bar or buy a nip.

I have enjoyed some of the top shelf Single Malts...On the rare occasions that I want Scotch as a change from Bourbon I ususally just go with one of the Blends... Dewar's White Lablel or Chivas Regal on the rocks!

Glen

My gosh! can't believe how the shelves are so empty. I was lucky to get one with the name Glen something and remembered that from this thread. Others were not around. Do people really drink at Christmas? Thought it was always New Years. I asked the guy who is working there if he ever gives samples? Not at this time of year. Everybody knows what they want. I didn't want to tell him I asked all of you.

People just won't even give you chance to get break in traffic. Even though they are waiting for light to change. How ignorant. Felt like opening the bottle right there. People do make you want to forget about them, if only way is to take a nip or two or maybe three. Got to calm down. You think I got a good one? Doesn't look like very big bottle. But everyone said to sip it.

My gosh, you can't turn someone onto single malts with Lagavulin or Laphroaig, although I have been to both of their distilleries - prefer Laphroaig.

And as a student was able to buy Laphroaig in Chicago for eight bucks a bottle.. My introduction to single malts.

But those two are a bit harsh - very peaty and have a distint taste of iodine.

Since I was weaned on them I prefer the taste. But when I want to introduce folks to single malts I do not choose them.

I would suggest Highland Park. The twelve year old is what you usually find and it is very nice.

The eighteen year old is far more expensive and is exquisite - but for a starter I would suggest the twelve.

Other than that Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, at least to my taste, are fairly light.

Of course if you can find them Bowmore, Bruichladdich, both from Islay (pronounced I-la) and are gentle to my palate at least.

There are many others. But if you are going to start on single malts speak to the guy at the liquour store. You want something light.

Again I recommend the Highland Park.

Just my take on things.

auntdot, you are always so knowledgeable when it comes to taste of many things. Thank you, do appreciate your comments and now since this bottle of Glenlivit is not going to be enough for the crew, will have to look for this Highland Park. I feel so ignorant when I go into the liquor department. That is why employees sell me the 'specials'. Consistently tell me that I will like it. I have found what you people suggest is from knowledge not the cost of the product.

Guess here I go again into this HAPPY crowd of gift givers. Must bother people to 'give' to others else why would they all be so bitter? First time I worked part time after school, I spent many of my paychecks which were not huge and just bought others 'small' gift. To this day, I often think about whether it was stupid or thoughtful. Memories! Thankful I still have them.

This year I will be 'toasting' Tom Brokow and my faithful friends here.

Last edited:
Kitch, thank you.

If I have learned anything it is because I have been around a long time and folks were kind enough to tell me things.

Oh yeah, and I do have a love of books.

But single malts, I love them all. But many folks find some of them difficult.

In my experience if it starts with a Glen it is probably fairly gentle. Cannot go wrong with Highland Park - I give it as a special gift.

It comes from the Orkney Islands. I think I may want to go there. Went to the Shetlands and it was great. Orkney sounds a bit sparse, but we can have fun any where.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Merry Christmas.

Highland Park must be hard find. More places handle this Glenlivit, only different prices. One place offered to special order but due to being special would be additional cost. since you suggested it, I would really like to try it as I trust your opinion. thanks again for sharing.

If you ever see GLen Farclas cask strength (104 proof) buy it. One of the joys of single malts, and any fine small batch sipping whiskey , is the variety and the chance to taste tour that variety over the course of time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom