"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Tom Brokow likes single malt scotch

Just heard an interview on radio with Tom Brokow. He said he is fond of 'single malt scotch'. Could someone tell me what this is and name a good brand. Has my curiosity.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

It's scotch that is unblended.

Some kinds of scotch (Johnny Walker) blends scotch from more than one dstillery and made from malt and grain.

Single malt is made from only malt and from only one distillery.

Single malt scotch whiskey got very trendy about 10 years ago. There are many, many brands and some are very expensive. The more reasonably priced (and widely available) brands are Glenlivit and Macallen. The higher end brands often taste very much of smoke and peat moss.

Scotch Whisky Distilleries

Do a taste test of Johnny Walker Black and Glenlivit at a bar some time.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Head Chef

One of my favorites is the Balvenie DoubleWood single malt. It is traditionally aged in oak whiskey casks then transfered to first fill sherry casks. Very smooth, tasty scotch.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Scotches come from 4 areas all are smokey but: Highland (floral) Islay (west coast, salty smokey iodiney) Speyside (east coast musky) Lowland (peatey)

common single malts: Glen Livet, Laphroig, Balvenie, Glen Fiddich, (and many more)

good blends (Johnny Walker Black Label, Dewers White Label, Pinch, Bells, and a few others)

most other blends have a distict raw aftertaste of neutral spirits

Like a small batch Bourbon, single malt is pricey because their is only a limited amount per year.

If you like a fine sipping whiskey, single malt is one of them to enjoy (as is also a fine rye and a fine Irish)
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

When I was living in Edinburgh, I always ordered Talisker's when I wanted a whiskey. It was affordable, and the only single-malt I knew of anyway. There was never any question about ice -- single-malts are to be enjoyed "neat" (no mixer), and at room temperature. A glass of water on the side would be provided, to dilute to taste.

Conventional wisdom has it that "whiskey hangovers" don't apply with single-malts. I have no reason to doubt this, but really, I never drank enough to worry about hangovers in any case. I did wonder, however, whether this might be a rationale for heavy drinking (no need to worry about the morning after). You can get reeling drunk with a single-malt just as well as with any other hard liquor, and I knew a few who did this more or less routinely. What their mornings were like, I never discovered.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Cook

Single malt is generally so expensive you don't want to drink enough of it to get hammered. Blended scotches sometimes mix vodka with their blens. My favorite is
Glen Morangie Sherry Cask Aged. Tom Brokaw has good taste.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Grateful

Thank you all for the response. Just before I am about to venture out into the crowds and make my search. This will surely help as I have specific brands to look for. Rather than having someone suggest 'special' that I usually wind up pour out cause no one seems to like it.

I respect Tom Brokow and have for long time. I did not know that he was going to be on radio show I listen to and when he mentioned this, I knew and have so much faith that I would be able to find someone who knew what he was talking about. I feel my world is so limited and being able to ask all of you about your opinions is a true gift to me. I thank you all for your time and opinions.

Now I just hope I am able to afford it. Must be really a 'special' price. But as most of you say, worth it. Maybe I will just give myself a gift and think of Mr. Brokow. Although he would rather have me buy his book.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'd highly suggest tasting it before you invest in a bottle. Just becasue TB likes it doesn't mean you will.

At a bar or buy a nip.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I have enjoyed some of the top shelf Single Malts...On the rare occasions that I want Scotch as a change from Bourbon I ususally just go with one of the Blends... Dewar's White Lablel or Chivas Regal on the rocks!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Just heard an interview on radio with Tom Brokow. He said he is fond of 'single malt scotch'.
I'll try to remember that, just in case I have the occasion to entertain him.