Un-aged Scotch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Is there such a thing as un-aged scotch, or scotch you can buy and let age? My dad is a scotch fan and over the years has kept three good bottles for special occasions--when I graduated from college, when I got married and when he retires. DH and I would like to get him a bottle to celebrate him becoming a grandpa for the first time this fall that can age for 21 years--so someday he can share a drink with his grandchild.

What should we be looking for?

PA
I don't know about US whiskies, or even Irish ones, but
any Scottish single malt whisky is already 'aged' before you get it. The 'youngest' is usually about 10 years old.

My husband's favourites are Bowmore, Strathisla and Highland Park.

Whiskies like Johnny Walker are blended whiskies.

I don't know much about scotch, but I believe the aging process imparts the flavors from the wood barrels into the scotch. Once it is bottled it is not really aging anymore. It is getting older, but not aging.

yep, scotch does not age in the bottle. i wish it did. i have several bottles that i found when i refinished the basement that my fil stashed away. they had been hidden for at least 25 years. i asked some scotch afficianados at work about it, and all they said it still only rates by the age on the label, but that i should bring it in for them to test. :cool:

My advice would be to work out what type of whisky (we don't call it Scotch - after all, there IS only one whisky....:LOL:
he likes. It would be so easy to make a mistake. Islay malts have an astringent, some say sea-weedy note.

Scots single malt whiskies are all very different in taste. The highland malts, the Speyside malts, the island malts and the island malts (from Islay, like Bowmore) all have very different characteristics. My husband loves a 'dram' but doesn't like, for instance, the MacAllan or Laphroaig. My Dad adored Laphroaig and didn't like Strathisla.... :mrgreen:

Buckytom is, as usual, correct. Whisky is not like wine, once out of the cask it does not age in the bottle, or at least that is what I have read and been told.

And I do like a wee dram of single malt, and fancy the Islay malts (love Laphroaig). Also Tallisker, while not an Islay malt, is also a favorite.

PA, your fil can put away a bottle for 21 years, but it seems it will be no different than when it was bottled.

Sorry.

But why not get him a bottle of his favorite to celebrate the birth of his grandchild?

Just an idea. Congratulations.

Laghavouhlin (or some such spelling) is also a fine Islay malt. and Glen Farclas cask strength (100 proof) is a very fine Highland. But one of the joys of malt wiskey is trying a new one when you can't one you're familiar with. Making a new friend is always nice, eh? :cool:

Lagavulin!

And Scots' whiskies are always whisky without an 'e' - Irish and American with an 'e'.... :mrgreen:

There are many whiskies out there including single malts (aged for various times), pure malts, those from independent bottlers, and blended whiskies, among others.

Some, and many would argue all, are an acquired taste. IMHO, those from Islay generally require a bit of getting used to, particularly Lagavulin, which I do enjoy (and have about half a bottle of the 16 year old about 20 feet away).

The single malts are fairly dear, at least where I live (VA), although we can get a reasonable variety in the state run liquor stores.

Would certainly want to know what dad fancies before making a purchase.

Oh, heck, the sun is over the yardarm and this whisky talk is making me thirsty.

Nice to see a whisky thread here.

So what's a good Scots whiskey for someone who's only had Bourbon and Jack Daniels?

For me, taste matters way more than proof.

Also, what's the best way to cut whiskey? I will not use tap water, should I just use spring water?

Scots whisky is a matter of personal taste - the flavours really ARE very different, even amonst distilleries which are in the same area, use the same water supply etc. The difference between the various areas is also extremely marked, eg Islay and Speyside.

Whiskies we always have in the house

Bowmore
Strathisla
Highland Park
Glen Kinchie
The Glenlivet

Our water in Scotland is really 'soft', with very little chemical treatment, so my husband always adds just a splash of tap water. Some people drink it with nothing added. My Dad always said that the addition of a smidgeon of water was to break the surface tension of the whisky and to allow the flavours to be released! (Don't know if that's true, or not, but it sounded good!) What no Scot who is serious about whisky does is add ice....:mrgreen: Although I have a Japanese friend who is a real malt whisky fan and he always says that straight whisky with ONE icecube adds just enough water to release the oils and flavours!

Ekim said:
So what's a good Scots whiskey for someone who's only had Bourbon and Jack Daniels?

For me, taste matters way more than proof.

Also, what's the best way to cut whiskey? I will not use tap water, should I just use spring water?

I'd order from a bar firstbefore dropping $$ on a bottle.

You might want to start by taste testing a pretty good blended scotch like Johnny Walker Black versus a pretty good single malt scotch like Glenlivet. They are both decent and not overpoweringly smokey and peat-y tasting.

If you like the Glenlivet you might want to experiment with other single malt scotches that have the more interesting "acquired" tastes.

to cut a malt whisky is something of a crime. I would recommend a fine blend like Dewars white lable or Johnny Walker Black, and cut with seltzer. Scots whisky does not take well to sweet mixers as it has a smokey flavor.

In Scotland it is considered personal taste whether or not to add water - hardly a 'crime':cool:

Last October we were invited to a dinner of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society in Edinburgh. The whisky was wonderful, the friendship charming, and the presentation had us rolling on the floor (and that was before most of the whisky was served.)

Did notice (and I was watching carefully) that most of the Scots (we were the only foreigners in the place) added some water to their drinks.

Personally, I generally prefer whisky neat but, sorry Ishbel, will occasionally add one small ice cube.

Agree with Jennyema, would suggest Ekim try some in a cocktail lounge before springing for a large bottle.

A nice blended Scotch (Johnny Walker, Famous Grouse), or a gentle single malt like Highland Park, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet (OK, the Glens seem to be milder than some) would be a good place to start.

Or if you can buy the airline bottles in the liquor store you can give a few a taste without a large expenditure.

Ekim, was never a fan of Bourbon, or its relatives, but have become a fan.

But still prefer a good Scotch whisky.

Hope you learn to enjoy whisky at least as much as I have learned to enjoy a good Bourbon.

Ishbel, American chlorinated city water would not be a tasty additive to good Whisky. Much of our water is "hard " with minerals which give a distinct taste as well. Here it is just better to go with something filtered.

I am not a whiskey or scotch drinker. I watched something on whiskey a short while ago. The brewmaster (is that what they are called when making whiskey?) said that the reason a small amount of water is added is that it brings out some subtle flavors in the whiskey that you would otherwise not taste. The way he was describing it, it made me think of it similar to how we use salt. A little bit of salt on food brings out the flavors.

GB - That distiller's opinion is widesprea in Scotland, and probably why most Scots (as AuntDot noted!) use the 'just a splash' technique with water!

Good point on the water, I wouldn't use ice as that tends to dull some of the more subtile flavors the better whiskys have. As with most any drink or food, try it before you invest money in it, I have over $1000.00 tied up in a few bottles of different "Water of Life" but every drop is a favorite. Age is another factor in selecting the drink too. Older is usually better because who wants to keep a kask around for 25 years only to have a mediocher product.

BTW, the smoky/peaty tastes come primarily from the water used and the type of still (Swan's neck, open spout stills are what is used for whisky and a closed system for most of the stuff that is called whiskey). For more info on Scotch and it's making try this site and it's links www.scotch-whisky.org.uk There is a world of info there.

You can get Scotch that is still in the barrel or keg and age it but it will have to be at least 3 years old (I think it was reduced from 7 years anyway) in order to be 1) Scotch and 2) exportable according to laws. You will have to wait for 3 or 7 years before you can buy it if you want a true 21 year old.

I do really like the idea of buying a bottle/cask for your son's 21st drink!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom