Using up sweet red wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnygrl_ks

Assistant Cook
My hubby is trying different wines and came across a SUPER SWEET red wine that is so sweet he can't stand to drink it... can you help steer me in the direction of recipies that can use it up in?.... It is a super large bottle so the more used in each recipe the better.
TIA!!!

eta: perferably a food recipe instead of a drink rec. thanks

Last edited:
I do a fast and easy “Sherry Pork” that everyone loves and requests frequently….which surprises me because it’s so easy, but it is tasty. Get some pork loin and cut it into 1” cubes. Toss it into a hot pain with a splash of OO, brown for 3-4 minutes, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup wine (I use sweet sherry). Don’t know if that wine will flame, but Sherry is fortified and does, so I always put a match to it for a little “flare” literally and figuratively. Stir-fry it a bit until the win reduces then serve over egg noodles, rice, or simply in a bowl with tooth picks. Very good stuff.

Also, you might want to try a red wine and left over rice reduction like I did with a cheap Blackberry Merlot. It adds a nice color to the rice and a nice flavor. Kick it up a notch if you like it hot by adding peppers, hot sauce, or a pepper mash. Simply take 2 cups of left over cooked rice and stir fry for a minute or 2 in butter or oil, then add 1/2 cup of the wine and keep stirring till all of the wine has evaporated and colored and coated the rice. Maybe add a splash of lemon juice or vinegar for tartness since your wine is so sweet. Adding onions is also good. Nice.

You can also reduce about 3/4 cup of the wine down with some dry or wet mustard, garlic, and a splash of vinegar to make a nice coating for fried chicken wings or grilled chicken pieces.

Reds are often used in stews and mushroom sauces for steak, but if it is that sweet, I’m not sure about it. Maybe adding salt, vinegar or even Worcestershire sauce will balance that out enough to be used in a stew, mushroom sauce, or even a beef marinade. I'd definitely try the W sauce or even soy in the mix!

Last edited:
Do a Google search for Charoset recipes. It is basically fruit, nuts, and sweet wine blended into a delicious paste. There are a million different recipes for it and each is different so there is bound to be a few that speak to you.

I do not like dry wines, as the matter of fact can't stand it. So I use a lot of sweet wine in plase of dry for meat recipes. It is not the same in the end, but it is the way I like it. Try to do the same thing. Plus there must be a lot of desert recipes where sweeet wine is used.

I tried using a bottle of very very sweet red in a wine/butter sauce for pan fried steaks and it didn't work well. It was almost like a sugary syrup. I ended up putting it over some hot biscuits and that was better. But it wasn't good with the meat.

I'm just getting into cooking and have begun experimenting a bit.

Last night and I looked in the fridge and cupboards and tried to improvise something. I ended up sauteing a seasoned chicken breast for a few minutes until browned, and set aside. Then chopped up some red onion, red and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic and sauted them in a pan. Once softened, I splashed in bit of sweet vermouth, returned the chicken back in the pan, reduced the heat, covered and simmered until chicken was done (170F), about 10 min. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. It was sweet (not surprising considering the ingredients) but not overly sweet.

-bob

Do a Google search for Charoset recipes. It is basically fruit, nuts, and sweet wine blended into a delicious paste. There are a million different recipes for it and each is different so there is bound to be a few that speak to you.
My family loves Charoset! I'm not Jewish, but the first seder we were invited to got us hooked. I make it pretty regularly and the kids gobble it down. Makes a wonderful afternoon snack, too, on fresh pita bread.

You could also do some experimenting with sauces for meat &/or poultry by cutting the sweetness of the wine with some wine vinegar.

For instance, I've made a quick butter sauce for chicken breast cutlets using Raspberry Vinegar (which is somewhat sweet) & butter. I'd think that combining & heating a very sweet red wine with some red wine vinegar to taste & then whisking in pieces of cold butter would end up with a similar flavor - minus the fruit, of course. In fact, the lack of fruit would probably make it nicer to use with beef or pork.

Back
Top Bottom