"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Vintage courvoisier - estimate of value?

this weekend my brother in law opened a bottle of vintage courvoisier in celebration of his new daughter.....it was a gift from a patient of his, and we are fairly sure that it was about 100 years old (aged 60, then sat in his patients house for another 35-40)...i don't have a picture of the bottle, but i do remember it said "courvoisier of napoleon" or somthing similar, and that it was from France (champagne)....the bottle itself seemed to be green in color, and looked very old

anyone have any idea what a bottle of this would cost? i know we would need alot more details to be exact, but any good guess is appreciated...another family member, who is very educated about wine & spirits, estimated up to $1000

unfortunately, im not a big brandy/cognac (right?) drinker, so i can't effective relay what it was like....it was VERY dark (like cola), had a very sweet smell, and tasted very strongly....pretty useless description, huh? anyway, it was cool just to try something that i knew was special, even if i didn't fully appreciate the flavor

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

the green botttle indicates a rd. bordeaux. costs vary greatly.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Cognac is not wine -- it's a type of brandy from a particular region of France that's made in a particular manner.

Unlike wine, spirits, including Cognac, do not improve once they're bottled, and in fact they begin to deteriorate, especially if exposed to heat and light. So the age of your BIL's bottle would not affect its value, unless it were a very rare or one-time bottling (e.g., Courvoisier Erte -- which just happens to be made form vintages that on average have been aged for 60 years before blending).

Any added value would be due to the rarity of the bottle, however, not because the booze in it has gotten any better.

BTW, the empty bottle of something like Courvoisier Erte has value -- don't toss it out!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

thanks!

well, it's not courvoisier erte....seems to be one of the "napoleon" styles, which i see on the website