"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-29-2005, 05:49 AM   #31
Head Chef

GG vodka is great, I agree.

A nice alternative which isn't quite as expensive is Kettle One. It's super smooth and just as tasty on the rocks as it is in a mixed drink or a dirty (yummmmm) martini.

Z

Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Olives Onions

Why do they put olives and onions in drinks? Does it give it some kind of flavor? Local paper suggested putting onions in freezer on parchment paper to keep in plastic bag for later use. GB and Zereh agree about the vodkas they drink. Has anyone tried one called Stolies? Some guy recommended I try that when I was in store. I just appreciate not having to look forward to headache when I drink martini. Will stick with vodka for 'health' benefits!

Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

itk, stoli is a russian vodka, probably the most popular one, called stolichnaya. also a very good vodka.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef

buckytom

Thanks for info. I can always count on your knowledge to assure me of what I want. You seem to have tried them all! what do you put in your martini olives or onions? Do you really have to have them? I just was putting in ice but now have vodka in the freezer.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
most people of the opposite sex look a lot thinner, and are much better looking when they drink vodka...
And... their IQ seems to improve.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #36
Master Chef

I like wodka best with orange juice.. reminds me of my younger days...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have tee many martoonies anymore, but I like 'em with pepper vodka the best. Have no idea if there's a "good" brand of that stuff.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I don't have tee many martoonies anymore, but I like 'em with pepper vodka the best. Have no idea if there's a "good" brand of that stuff.
You could always make your own

OK a funny (well not at the time) story about pepper vodka. I was about 10 or so and we went to visit close friends in NY. My parents brought a bottle of pepper vodka as a gift for our friends. The kids all went to bed and the parents stayed up in the kitchen talking. Well the kids decided to play truth or dare and one of the dares had something to do with going downstairs and doing something stupid in front of the parents. So we go down and whoever was supposed to do their thing did it. The parents thought it was hilarious. Little did we know at the time that they probably were a little drunk, but we were young and didn't know any better. Anyway they were drinking what I thought was water. I asked dad for a sip cause I was thirsty. He handed me his glass and I took a nice gulp. My throat was on FIRE. The parents all were laughing so hard. Of course you can guess by now that they were not drinking water. Man was that stuff hot. Now I know they were drunk because they never would have done something like that sober

OK back on topic, ITK the olive or onion or whatever else you use is more of a garnish than anything else. If I just use an olive without any of the brine then I do not taste a difference between on with and one without. If you don't want to use them then your drink won't suffer. It is sort of like that little piece of parsley on your plate in the restaurant. I do enjoy eating the olive when I get to the end of the drink though
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Thanks

GB, you sure have your share of personal experience. Never heard of 'pepper' vodka. I will just ignore the suggestion of onion or olive and try the different suggestions here. As i said before, like opening different world to me. Thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #40
Head Chef

Wow, I get busy around the house (and didn't really have a PC since Santa brought me a new hard drive, and since I had the hood up, I just COULDN'T only put in the new drive...), and the wodka thread keeps on rolling!

I usually have anywhere from 5-8 different vodkas in the house - I think it has something to do with Polish tradition...

Right now there's:

Vincent van Gough vodka (not bad...)
Luksusowa
Bellevedere (Very good, and from Poland!)
Another Polish vodka, but the name eludes me - it's a rye vodka - quite good.
Absolute
Absolute Citron
And there may be some Stoli left, I'm not sure...

Speaking of high end vodkas, has anyone ever caught the Mythbusters on Discovery? They had one episode where they filtered a cheap vodka (Probably Mowhawk or Popov) through a water filter - one of those charcoal ones like Brita. I think they filtered it 3 times. In a blind test, they couldn't tell the difference between a high end vodka and the filtered stuff!

John