Vodka and Martini and Rossi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah ronjohn I saw that mythbusters episode. I also saw a web page where some college kids did the same thing. If you could rig up a large pipe with three filters in a row and have it long enough that you could empty the entire bottle into the pipe and have it filter all at once then that might be kind of cool to try.

In the Kitchen said:
Maybe you don't gain weight when you drink it?
If you look at any of the low-carb diets, they all recommend vodka for that reason BUT, it you start mixing it with juices or sodas (non-diet ... tonic included), you take away that aspect. Any clear liquor will have fewer calories than their colored counterparts so vodka, I believe, has 0 calories making most of the martini's you are drinking quite healthy.
:)
Happy New Year All!

JMediger said:
If you look at any of the low-carb diets, they all recommend vodka for that reason BUT, it you start mixing it with juices or sodas (non-diet ... tonic included), you take away that aspect. Any clear liquor will have fewer calories than their colored counterparts so vodka, I believe, has 0 calories making most of the martini's you are drinking quite healthy.
:)
Happy New Year All!

Vodka may be low carb but it certainly is NOT claorie free. The caloric content of vodka, gin, or any other liquor is primarily determined by the amount of alcohol in it.

100 proof vodka contains 82 calories per fluid ounce, 90 proof is 73 calories and 80 proof is good for 64 calories. These calorie counts are the same for gins and whiskeys of the same proofs.

Wow

This is sure interesting stuff! The best way is to drink it by itself right? Since I am leaving in the freezer, I don't need ice. Maybe would be good idea to add some ice, make it less calories. Like everything adding additional to make improved flavor only changes caloric intake. Like adding to my potatoes! Wealth of knowledge here. Thank you. Truly helps.

I stand corrected

Andy M. said:
Vodka may be low carb but it certainly is NOT claorie free. The caloric content of vodka, gin, or any other liquor is primarily determined by the amount of alcohol in it.

100 proof vodka contains 82 calories per fluid ounce, 90 proof is 73 calories and 80 proof is good for 64 calories. These calorie counts are the same for gins and whiskeys of the same proofs.

When we were dieting, we were told by several dieticians that the clearer the liquor, the more healthy it was due simply to the sugar content which translated to me, fewer calories.

However, I certainly stand corrected. I will definitely check my facts more precisely before I post again and not go by what I simply THINK to be true.

JMediger said:
When we were dieting, we were told by several dieticians that the clearer the liquor, the more healthy it was due simply to the sugar content which translated to me, fewer calories...quote]

The dieticians were right, of course. The sugar in the booze just piles more calories on top of the ones provided by the alcohol!

My motto has always been, "Never drink anything you can't see through!":LOL:

Andy M. said:
My motto has always been, "Never drink anything you can't see through!":LOL:

I dunno - I tried one of those Michelob Ultras - I could definitely see through it, but I'm not sure I want to drink it again! :-p

But yes, ethanol, in it's purest form is completly clear (but I will never buy that odorless/tasteless line - that's pure water). When it's blended (as nearly all spirits are) the quality of the water or other liquid can have a HUGE impact on the taste, potentially more than the distilling and aging.

Take bourbon for example - it's crystal clear when distilled, and aged in charred oak barrels. When ready, it's emptied and filtered and in most cases, blended with water down to a "consumable" proof level (190 proof is pretty tough on most folks). It could be pure gold coming out of the barrel, but if you blend it with sewer water... BLECH!!!!!

John

Ronjon:

I never said I drink everything that I can see through...

I typically drink Sam Adams for beer and Crown Royal for liquor. I can see through both of those with no trouble (at first). The gin and tonic I drink in the summer is also visually acceptable. The red wines are harder to see through but if you squint real hard and hold the glass up to the light...

I refuse to drink the light beers. After Sam, they all taste watered down.

What I exclude is sweet mixed drinks that are opaque and filled with a lot of non-booze stuff.

i would have assumed you drink pawtucket patriot, andy.

talk about seeing thru your beverage, i heard a story once about some explorers who were staying with indigenous peoples of an area of the amazon, and when they opened a can of coca cola, the natives thought the explorers were crazy for drinking black water, and wouldn't touch the stuff.

Andy M. said:
I refuse to drink the light beers. After Sam, they all taste watered down.
After the beers I normally drink, Sam tastes watered down. :LOL:

This isn't saying that Sam isn't decent beer, it's just not normally a major portion of the two fridges in my house dedicated to beer. :mrgreen: I will admit to a weakness for their Oktoberfest, though.

Fridge 1 (the Ultra is used for boiling hot dogs, etc...

Second fridge, in the bar. The Hurricane was a gag

Second fridge door.

The bar

Back on topic... In the freezer in the kitchen there's a bottle of Stoli 100 proof, Absolut 100 proof and Grey Goose. Of the three, I must say I prefer the Grey Goose, though each has their merits.

Has anybody ever considered modifying a tap machine that dispenses cold Jagermeister to dispense vodka? Do a search for tapmachine and you'll see what I mean. It dispenses Jagermeister at 5* Fahrenheit (yes. 5 degrees.), which I believe is still high enough to not freeze vodka...

Yep. That's Sam Smith Cream Stout. Here's a list of what's in the fridges...

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grolsch (Don't like it. It's for the brother-in-law)
Ultra (yech):sick:
Rogue Mocha Porter
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Shipyard lagers and ales in a box
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Sam Adams Cream Stout
PegLeg Porter
Blackened Voodoo Lager
Magic Hat
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Schlafly Octoberfest
Hooker Octoberfest