"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Vodka and Martini and Rossi

In order to fix vodka martini do you mix these half and half? I just poured half of each one in glass and tastes okay. I don't care for gin so I use the vodka.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It depends on how dry you want your martini. A dry martini will have mostly gin (or vodka) and just a splash of vermouth. Some people would like then very dry start by pouring some vermouth into their glass then dumping it out and then adding the gin or vodka. Even drier than that, some people just wave the cap of the vermouth bottle over their glass then add the gin or vodka. OK that is a bit silly of course, but true none the less. Basically though, it comes down to what tastes good to you. If have vodka and half vermouth tastes good then go with that. When I make mine I probably use a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio, but sometimes I go even drier.

An important step that you may have skipped though it to put the booze in a cocktail shaker (preferably metal) with ice cubes and shake it up real good. Shake at least 20 times, but I usually go longer than that. This will chill the beverage and also add just a little water from the melting ice. This is an important step IMO.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Gb

You really know how to fix them! Knowing to put in metal container and shaking so often really gives me the feeling you expect perfection in your drink. Makes me feel at a loss that I even attempt to fix one. I notice that all your posts are so precise that I respect your advice. Thank you for your input and as always you make me want to achieve a higher goal in my life. Maybe I should just come over and have you fix me one? I will bring th vodka and Martini and Rossi. Is that deal? Thanks for your direction I appreciate it. Guess it is that time of year where I am overwhelmed. thanks GB
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

It sure is a deal! You are more than welcome in my home anytime

I did not start out making my martinis like this. When I first started making them I would keep the vodka in the freezer and then just pour right into the glass. Then I would pour a little vermouth in and stir it with the olive on the toothpick. They were no where as good as what I make now. It was someone else on this site (probably Ronjon) who explained that the vodka should not be cold as the melted ice is important to the drink. How right he was!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Gb

Thank you! You sure are kind, always! Isn't it great how we learn from one another? I just feel so grateful that I don't have to worry that people will judge me about things I do. Guess I try to live right according to the way I was raised.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
It sure is a deal! You are more than welcome in my home anytime

I did not start out making my martinis like this. When I first started making them I would keep the vodka in the freezer and then just pour right into the glass. Then I would pour a little vermouth in and stir it with the olive on the toothpick. They were no where as good as what I make now. It was someone else on this site (probably Ronjon) who explained that the vodka should not be cold as the melted ice is important to the drink. How right he was!
GB flatters me, but I can't take credit - it wasn't me.

I'm actually mostly from the stirred, not shaken (with apologies to Commander Bond...) school of martinis. There are certain exceptions, though. If, like GB described above, your going to shake it, my rule of thumbs is to shake it until the shaker is as cold as the ice you put into it. IMHO, if you arent going to bother shaking until it gets that cold, just stir it.

As for how dry to make it - well, I'm a fan of vodka martinis and if you have a REALLY good vodka, I think you should ust show it the bottle of vermouth...

Of course, with lesser gins or vodkas, the vermouth amounts go up.

John
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

It sure is great how we learn from each other. That is one of the greatest things about this site. We are all continuously learning.

OK ITK, because of this thread I have been drinking martinis all night. I am on my third right now. My wife is laughing at my right now because she thinks I am slurring my words, but I just said she sells sea shells by the sea shore flawlessly
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55

As for how dry to make it - well, I'm a fan of vodka martinis and if you have a REALLY good vodka, I think you should ust show it the bottle of vermouth...
I couldn't agree more. My last martini was vodka and ice in the shaker poured in the same room that the vermouth is in
Old 12-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
Head Chef

My latest martini drink has actually been the tangertini - A bit of tangerine concentrate (From Cost Plus World Market), a splash of tripel sec, and sa good vodka.

Tonight it's Belgian Ales, though...

John
Old 12-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Head Chef

If you are a fan of olives and use them as your condiment in your martini's, you can also use the juice in leiu of the vermouth (this makes them "dirty martini's"). IMHO, it makes a better martini. We drink gin but I've also had Dirty Vodka Martini's and they were just as good ... shaken, not stirred.
Cheers!