Vodka and Martini and Rossi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
In order to fix vodka martini do you mix these half and half? I just poured half of each one in glass and tastes okay. I don't care for gin so I use the vodka.

It depends on how dry you want your martini. A dry martini will have mostly gin (or vodka) and just a splash of vermouth. Some people would like then very dry start by pouring some vermouth into their glass then dumping it out and then adding the gin or vodka. Even drier than that, some people just wave the cap of the vermouth bottle over their glass then add the gin or vodka. OK that is a bit silly of course, but true none the less. Basically though, it comes down to what tastes good to you. If have vodka and half vermouth tastes good then go with that. When I make mine I probably use a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio, but sometimes I go even drier.

An important step that you may have skipped though it to put the booze in a cocktail shaker (preferably metal) with ice cubes and shake it up real good. Shake at least 20 times, but I usually go longer than that. This will chill the beverage and also add just a little water from the melting ice. This is an important step IMO.

Gb

You really know how to fix them! Knowing to put in metal container and shaking so often really gives me the feeling you expect perfection in your drink. Makes me feel at a loss that I even attempt to fix one. I notice that all your posts are so precise that I respect your advice. Thank you for your input and as always you make me want to achieve a higher goal in my life. Maybe I should just come over and have you fix me one? I will bring th vodka and Martini and Rossi. Is that deal? Thanks for your direction I appreciate it. Guess it is that time of year where I am overwhelmed. thanks GB

It sure is a deal! You are more than welcome in my home anytime :)

I did not start out making my martinis like this. When I first started making them I would keep the vodka in the freezer and then just pour right into the glass. Then I would pour a little vermouth in and stir it with the olive on the toothpick. They were no where as good as what I make now. It was someone else on this site (probably Ronjon) who explained that the vodka should not be cold as the melted ice is important to the drink. How right he was!

Gb

Thank you! You sure are kind, always! Isn't it great how we learn from one another? I just feel so grateful that I don't have to worry that people will judge me about things I do. Guess I try to live right according to the way I was raised.

GB said:
It sure is a deal! You are more than welcome in my home anytime :)

I did not start out making my martinis like this. When I first started making them I would keep the vodka in the freezer and then just pour right into the glass. Then I would pour a little vermouth in and stir it with the olive on the toothpick. They were no where as good as what I make now. It was someone else on this site (probably Ronjon) who explained that the vodka should not be cold as the melted ice is important to the drink. How right he was!

GB flatters me, but I can't take credit - it wasn't me.

I'm actually mostly from the stirred, not shaken (with apologies to Commander Bond...) school of martinis. There are certain exceptions, though. If, like GB described above, your going to shake it, my rule of thumbs is to shake it until the shaker is as cold as the ice you put into it. IMHO, if you arent going to bother shaking until it gets that cold, just stir it.

As for how dry to make it - well, I'm a fan of vodka martinis and if you have a REALLY good vodka, I think you should ust show it the bottle of vermouth... :angel:

Of course, with lesser gins or vodkas, the vermouth amounts go up.

John

It sure is great how we learn from each other. That is one of the greatest things about this site. We are all continuously learning.

OK ITK, because of this thread I have been drinking martinis all night. I am on my third right now. My wife is laughing at my right now because she thinks I am slurring my words, but I just said she sells sea shells by the sea shore flawlessly :LOL:

ronjohn55 said:
As for how dry to make it - well, I'm a fan of vodka martinis and if you have a REALLY good vodka, I think you should ust show it the bottle of vermouth... :angel:
I couldn't agree more. My last martini was vodka and ice in the shaker poured in the same room that the vermouth is in :mrgreen:

My latest martini drink has actually been the tangertini - A bit of tangerine concentrate (From Cost Plus World Market), a splash of tripel sec, and sa good vodka.

Tonight it's Belgian Ales, though...

John

If you are a fan of olives and use them as your condiment in your martini's, you can also use the juice in leiu of the vermouth (this makes them "dirty martini's"). IMHO, it makes a better martini. We drink gin but I've also had Dirty Vodka Martini's and they were just as good ... shaken, not stirred.
Cheers!

Wow, a discussion of martinis, real, true martinis. It seems today that anything one pours into a martini glass is termed that, a crime.

To me, and it is only my humble opinion, a martini is made with gin. The one that a person likes the best.

Depending upon my mood, I will vary the brand.

As for the vermouth, only a minimal amount at most.

I believe when the martini was introduced it was a mixture of one third vermouth to gin, or so.

Bleccchhh, a thousand times blech. I have tried it that way and found it an awful concoction.

And of course an olive, usually two. Three is too many. Putting in the olive juice is something I have tried and find the olive juice owerwhelms the drink. Two olives, nothing more, sorry.

As far as shaken vs stirred, I prefer the gin to be chilled in the fridge. No dilution at all.

Normally I am not a demanding person, no, not at all.

But when it comes to martinis, well, one must maintain ones standards.

I understand that others may disagree on this matter, fine and well.

But to me a martini is a fine gin, chilled, no dilution with ice, a drop of vermouth and two olives.

And if there is a heaven, that is the way they will serve martinis made just that way.

What a delightful thread!

There are "tipsy" olives that have been cured in vermouth - yum!
I've been known to keep a spray bottle of vermouth in the fridge and one spritz is the perfect amount of vermouth. IMHO

I ordered a very dry martini ad the bartender actually waved the vermooth bottle over the glass :LOL:

and if you can say See shells she sells that flawlessly you are perfectly sober!:wacko:

substitute a cocktail onion for the olive and you get a Gibson
or go with a twist (lemon )

or go all the way with a Sahara: = parts of gin and vodka, a drop of single malt whiskey and a twist. serve chilled straight up! takes your breath away!

Martini

One thing the vodka only gave me 'lift' for short while. In the morning, I didn't feel like a had anything but when i looked at the bottle I knew I did. Strange how different drinks affect person. I never got headache from the vodka either. Is that because it was expensive vodka? Going to give these suggestions try on New Years. I will probably get to watch either Regis or Dick Clark. I like both of them. Anyone having martini with them? Just remember they are working on New Years. Somehow I don't feel sorry for them like I do people that have to do cooking all day. But that's me.

Vodka Martini: Shaken or Stirred

Always stirred! This doesn't damage (tear up) the vodka.

The vodka is storred in the freezer always.

And always mix in a metal mixer, with lots of chopped ice.

Then STIR just enough to get the vodka cold. (Just about as long as it takes for you to get a cold martini glass from the freezer or from your ice chest and pour in and out the vermouth.)

Coat the glass with vermouth, then let it slide out, then add the chilled vodka.

Add whatever garnish you like.
I like a twist of lemon with mine.
(I don't like the olive becasue it kills the drink completely! It's for people who dont really enjoy the drink in it's natural state, so they kill the entire flavor to avoid it with this heavy olive juice!)

And vodka does not ever give me a headache or upset me the next day at all!
I had five (three is usually my max) the other night at home (of course) at a party with friends and just crashed. The next day I was just fine.
I of course went right to my juicer to get some good stuff back into me.

We haven't spoken of vodka made from "wheat" or from "potatos".

Vodka traditionally was made from wheat in Russia prior to the Germans taking all of the wheat crop for thier war. The Russinans had to resort to the potato. As it turns out the potato makes a better vodka!

I get a trippled filtered potato vodka called: Luksusowa and it is very delicious!
It is labeled right on top of the main label "Potato" Vodka.

There is another expecially tasty vodka named: "Tito's Handmade Vodka". Crafted from grain in an old fashioned pot still by Texas' First and Only Distillery in Austin, Texas. Filtered six times. The label says to keep in the freezer and shake once when you get it out for drinking. 80% proof!

Have fun! In moderation of course and please no driving while imparred!

Pete said:
The vodka is storred in the freezer always.
And always mix in a metal mixer, with lots of chopped ice.
Then STIR just enough to get the vodka cold.
If your vodka is stored in the freezer then isn't the vodka already cold (as cold as the ice)?

Pete said:
I don't like the olive becasue it kills the drink completely! It's for people who dont really enjoy the drink in it's natural state, so they kill the entire flavor to avoid it with this heavy olive juice!
I have to respectfully disagree with this. I love the taste of the drink in it's natural state. I also love vodka neat. I happen to love olives in my martinis and also love dirty martinis. I do not see it as covering up the taste, but simply changing it. It is akin to adding capers to pasta. I love the taste of pasta alone, but I also love the taste with capers. I do not like to limit myself. I like the drink many ways.

My friend who used to tend bar however once said to my dad when he asked her for two olives in his martini "would you like some alcohol with your salad?" :ROFLMAO:

In the Kitchen said:
In order to fix vodka martini do you mix these half and half? I just poured half of each one in glass and tastes okay. I don't care for gin so I use the vodka.

Half and half sounds a little strong to me... but, there are distilled? vodkas and different proofs and different brands... also depends on how much (if any) ice you add. To me it's a matter of taste. If it tastes good, go for it!

Re brands - Grey Goose seems to be the trend. Watching a taste test among Grey Goose lovers, when blindfolded, they didn't know the difference between a cheap brand and the goose. Go with what "you" like, gin or no gin.

In the Kitchen said:
One thing the vodka only gave me 'lift' for short while. In the morning, I didn't feel like a had anything but when i looked at the bottle I knew I did. Strange how different drinks affect person. I never got headache from the vodka either. Is that because it was expensive vodka? Going to give these suggestions try on New Years. I will probably get to watch either Regis or Dick Clark. I like both of them. Anyone having martini with them? Just remember they are working on New Years. Somehow I don't feel sorry for them like I do people that have to do cooking all day. But that's me.

Yeppers. Usually the more filtered the vodka is (and consequently the more $$), the better you'll feel in the am.:sick:

I pour a little vermouth in the shaker with the ice, shake it a bit, drain out the vermouth. Add some Bombay Sapphire and a t of olive juice. Shake. Drain and serve with 2 olives. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

Last edited:
One of my favorite lines from M.A.S.H. was when Hawkeye Pierce (Alan Alda), said that he's invented the world's driest martini: pour straight gin into a glass and drink it while looking at a picture of Antonio Benedetto Carpano, the inventor of vermouth.

LOL!

Lee

P.S. Yeah, I had to look up the name of the guy who invented vermouth.

Back
Top Bottom