"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Scott-180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Posts: 46
Vodka jelly/jello

Does anyone have a good recipe for vodka jelly/jello?

We call it jelly in the UK but I think you call it jello in the US (please see below dedicated thread discussing the differences between British and American slang by Caseydog)

Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

When ever i try it, it always turns out too runny so i would like mine to be a bit firmer (don't we all?!!)

__________________

Scott-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,573
It's a pretty simple recipe. Make sure you use cold water and alcohol and put them in the fridge right away so they'll set. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jello-shots-294532
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Scott-180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's a pretty simple recipe. Make sure you use cold water and alcohol and put them in the fridge right away so they'll set. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jello-shots-294532
thanks very much, i'll give that one a go. I was driving through Virginia actually a few weeks ago. A very beautiful part of the country
Scott-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,573
We like it
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-180 View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for vodka jelly/jello?

We call it jelly in the UK but I think you call it jello in the US (please see below dedicated thread discussing the differences between British and American slang by Caseydog)

Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

When ever i try it, it always turns out too runny so i would like mine to be a bit firmer (don't we all?!!)
We call them Jello Shots in the US, as referenced in the link by GG. They are fun party treats. You can also make them with Everclear (basically non diluted Vodka - pure grain alcohol).

CD
__________________
"Government should be an opportunity for public service, not private gain." George H W Bush. RIP

CD
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 21,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
We call them Jello Shots in the US, as referenced in the link by GG. They are fun party treats. You can also make them with Everclear (basically non diluted Vodka - pure grain alcohol).

CD
We made them in different color and alcohol combinations for a large group once - lime and tequila, strawberry-banana and rum, and lemon drop with lemon vodka. Yummy
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We made them in different color and alcohol combinations for a large group once - lime and tequila, strawberry-banana and rum, and lemon drop with lemon vodka. Yummy
Never tried that. I'll keep that in mind.

CD
__________________
"Government should be an opportunity for public service, not private gain." George H W Bush. RIP

CD
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,938
fyi Scott 180

Jell-O is a brand name that has pretty much become the common name for a dessert jelly.
Zipper was also a brand name that lost its patent. It was/is technically a "fastner".
Tissues were/are commonly called Kleenix or Scotties (depending on what your mom bought while you were growing up).
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
fyi Scott 180

Jell-O is a brand name that has pretty much become the common name for a dessert jelly.
Zipper was also a brand name that lost its patent. It was/is technically a "fastner".
Tissues were/are commonly called Kleenix or Scotties (depending on what your mom bought while you were growing up).
And for some odd reason vacuum cleaners in GB are universally called "hoovers " even if they are made by different companies and vacuum cleaners were around in Britain before Hoover started sell their cleaners over here.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jello

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.