Watermelon Margaritas (or Virgin Watermelon Lemonade)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Thoroughly liquify 1/2 of a watermelon cut into chunks and deseeded, in batches (both the red and white parts, cut off the dark green skin) in the blender until liquified, with the juice of half a lime, maybe a bit of lemonade, and a bit of agave syrup, or whatever other sweetener you like. Taste and add more lime or sweetener if desired. Strain if you like. I keep the juice in a pitcher in the fridge. It's nice watermelon lemonade. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays. Then, just make it like a regular Marg, some watermelon juice, 3 parts tequila, 1 or more part orange liqueur of choice (Cointreau, Triple Sec, Controy, Grand Marnier). Blend with ice, or frozen watermelon ice cubes, or not. We like ours on the rocks. You can rim your glasses with lime and dip in sugar or salt.

I find the white rind part cuts the sweetness of the watermelon, and adds a nice flavor.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's a great way to use up watermelon, I'm the only one here who will eat it in solid form. DH loves the juice though.
Thanks for the recipe DL. Great idea about using up watermelon. We buy the tiny ones (a little bigger than a cantaloupe) and we still had a half go off in the fridge.

Thanks for the recipe DL. Great idea about using up watermelon. We buy the tiny ones (a little bigger than a cantaloupe) and we still had a half go off in the fridge.

Thanks Taxy, I haven't been able to find the little ones here.

I've made a really nice lemonade with just the white rind part too, it's got such a refreshing flavor. I hate to throw anything away :LOL:

The first time I saw one of the little ones was when I moved to Denmark in 1969. I looked at them and said to myself, "You've got to be kidding."

I haven't checked the other roadside stands yet, I really would like one. And we're in melon country here, I'm surprised they're not more available.

Do they grow them locally? It may be the little ones are easier to ship.

You may like this? If you have a doughnut jam syringe ( for injecting jam into your doughnuts etc.) which you can usually find in the kitchen equipment departments or buy online. Inject your watermelon each day for a week with a dose of vodka through the stalk end. When your friends come round, serve as a simple delicious 'afters'. Obviously this is one for the grown-ups and I ALWAYS tell people so that they know it's alcoholic. Only fair and it is Brill!!

You may like this? If you have a doughnut jam syringe ( for injecting jam into your doughnuts etc.) which you can usually find in the kitchen equipment departments or buy online. Inject your watermelon each day for a week with a dose of vodka through the stalk end. When your friends come round, serve as a simple delicious 'afters'. Obviously this is one for the grown-ups and I ALWAYS tell people so that they know it's alcoholic. Only fair and it is Brill!!

Yum! Great idea, MM! We used to do something like that when I was in college, called it plugging. We'd cut a small round hole in the melon, and fill with as much vodka as we could, let sit, then pour in more vodka. Very popular!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom