Well....that was interestin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
My daughter and her fiance came over yesterday for a visit. She brought a bottle of one of the strangest potables I have heard of in a spell.
Chocolate and whipped cream flavored vodka.
She likes it, Mrs Hoot likes it, my daughter's fiance claims he likes it, but I have my doubts.
Hoot did not care for it.
It had a sickly sweet flavor that was reminiscent of cheap artificially flavored instant chocolate pudding.
Now before everyone who likes cheap artificially flavored instant chocolate pudding starts clamoring for my head on a stick, let me say that I truly gave it a fair trial. Still don't like it.
My daughter then proceeds to tell me that there is Froot-Loop flavored vodka, as well as Mountain Dew flavored vodka.
What has the vodka world come to these days?

Buon Giorno Hoot, Good Morning,

Thanks for posting, this fun topic.

Vodka which is served around the world at bars, has top notch bartenders shaking and mixing all types of cocktails. However, the market dictates that many average supermarket shoppers, know little about the world of spirits and have few utensils to prepare complicated cocktails ... Thus, they bottle vodka with cranberry, lemon, chocolate, etcetra ... Bailey´s Irish Cream is a popular best selling cordial, as well as Galician Spanish Orujo with Café ... amongst numerous others, and quick mix Margarita or Daquiri ... etcetra. Imagine, a beer with lemon called Shanty ! It is so easy to take a beer and squeeze some fresh lemon in it --- however, people buy a can instead ... same with Sangría in a plastic bottle ... It goes on and on ... There is a market for everyone ...

Not quite my cup of tea either.
Kind regards. Margi.

Buon Giorno Hoot, Good Morning,

Thanks for posting, this fun topic.

Vodka which is served around the world at bars, has top notch bartenders shaking and mixing all types of cocktails. However, the market dictates that many average supermarket shoppers, know little about the world of spirits and have few utensils to prepare complicated cocktails ... Thus, they bottle vodka with cranberry, lemon, chocolate, etcetra ... Bailey´s Irish Cream is a popular best selling cordial, as well as Galician Spanish Orujo with Café ... amongst numerous others, and quick mix Margarita or Daquiri ... etcetra. Imagine, a beer with lemon called Shanty ! It is so easy to take a beer and squeeze some fresh lemon in it --- however, people buy a can instead ... same with Sangría in a plastic bottle ... It goes on and on ... There is a market for everyone ...

Not quite my cup of tea either.
Kind regards. Margi.

I reckon so, Margi.
I am just a simple man...I will stick to bourbon.

Who made the vodka?

I do have a hypothesis that the cheaper brands make cheaper tasting flavors and the premium brands make less cheap tasting flavors, but I might be wrong.

That's the thing about vodka. It will take on any flavour. Just found some on the net with the flavours of skittle candy,marshmallow, bubble gum flavour etc. Don't know about you but life is complex enough without messing with my vodka and orange juice!

Frank Z. Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

This can be quite true yet a fine vodka used for a Martini Dry Straight Up with Olives is pricier than a bottle of plonk and obviously very different in taste profile ... There are Vodkas combining fruit, coffee, chocolate etcetra going for alot more than $15.00 USD.

An aged in oak barrel amber Tequila is about 40 Euros in Madrid Capital, and the clear or white Tequila plonk basic is alot cheaper. Brand, like Calvin Klein verses Chinese Brand X.

Common factor in uncountable items we purchase.

Have nice August.
Margaux.

That's the thing about vodka. It will take on any flavour. Just found some on the net with the flavours of skittle candy,marshmallow, bubble gum flavour etc. Don't know about you but life is complex enough without messing with my vodka and orange juice!

I can agree with that 100%. I got nothing against vodka...but I prefer to do the flavoring if need be.

She also brought some Parrot Bay coconut rum. Mixed with OJ, it was tolerable.

Hmmm...I wonder if I were to mix the chocolate vodka and the coconut rum together, do y'all think it might taste like a Mounds bar? Or I could throw a couple of almonds in it and call it an Almond Joy martini...
On the other hand....maybe not.

Hoot: the only flavoring I like is chilled & the Olives

Buonasera Hoot,

If I am going to have a Vodka, it shall be a Martini chilled and extremely dry & pure Vodka ... and a toothpick of 5 green olives stuffed with red basque piquillo peppers or red bell peps.

Have lovely Monday,
Margi. :)

hoot me old mucker,i have a bottle of russian export quality 45% abv vodka in the freezer & a bottle of woodford reserve 43.2% abv bourbon in the cupboard(soon to be joined by wild turkey thanks to you)...the only thing i let near either is a glass & my lips.....think we're singin' off the same hymn sheet buddy..............

That russian vodka...it is made from grain or is it taters? Most "vodka" made over here is made from grain. Russian vodka made from anything is mighty dear in these parts.

Hang on.. I just re-readed or re-read..."ahem"...looked at it again. Russian export quality. That means it is produced in England and conforms to Russian import standards?

It is not just vodka. Worst martini I have ever had was served to me in a semi-upscale restaurant. The thing was made with Hendricks. Cucumber flavored gin.

I like my alcohol straight up. If I want additional flavor, I know how to add it. That also goes for coffee and soft drinks.

Cucumber flavored gin.

16629-albums905-picture5020.gif

That russian vodka...it is made from grain or is it taters? Most "vodka" made over here is made from grain. Russian vodka made from anything is mighty dear in these parts.

Hang on.. I just re-readed or re-read..."ahem"...looked at it again. Russian export quality. That means it is produced in England and conforms to Russian import standards?
nope hoot it's smirnoff blue label russian grain vodka.apparently the "export quality" refers to it being stronger & more refined/filtered.not sure where it's made.....the back label's got freezer burn:LOL:!!.

Last edited:
One of the problems with those flavoured alcoholic drinks in a bottle is that they are usually full of weird chemicals. We used to buy coconut rum for pina coladas, because the can of coconut cream would go bad before we finished it. Then they start to put all kinds of crap in it. Oh well.

I like cocktails. I also like making them from good ingredients.

There plenty of good vodkas in the store nowadays. I am more than happy with a straight shot of it, rather than all these flavored stuff they have now.

Back
Top Bottom