What are the good brands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am trying to keep a stock of the most common alcohols in my pantry but since I don't know much about drinks I am wondering what are the good brands for the following liquors:

Brandy
Gin
Tequila

These all come down to personal taste. What is good for one person will be lousy for the next.

My choice for Gin is Bombay Sapphire.
For Tequila I like Patron.

I do not know much about Brandy so someone else will need to chime in about that.

With tequila, the most important consideration is whether it's made with 100% blue agave juice; it will say that on the label. I don't drink gin, so can't help you with that. Our former Spanish exchange student's parents gave us a bottle of Spanish brandy years ago. I only use it for making sangria.

I'm with GB here. It really is a matter of personal taste, also what your budget is helps one decide what's good. I don't drink much of the three spirits you mentioned, so I can't offer any help.

Brandies can vary widely, espically if you "branch" into the fruit ones... ;)

For Tequila, I like Patron and Cabo wabo, both repasado or anejo. Blanco is good too, but isn't aged as much and is often used more for mixing.

Gin I don't drink a lot of, but I agree with GB on the Bombay as a good one.

For a basic bar, I'd say you would really want:

Rum
Bourbon (or Jack Daniels, preferably both :rolleyes:)
Vodka
Tequila
Gin

From there, you can mix most of the common well drinks and cocktails.

With tequila, the most important consideration is whether it's made with 100% blue agave juice; it will say that on the label. I don't drink gin, so can't help you with that. Our former Spanish exchange student's parents gave us a bottle of Spanish aging brandy years ago. I only use it for making sangria.

The other consideration with tequila is aging. Blancos are un-aged, very raw agave flavor, good for mixed drinks, or for sipping if you are a tequila freak, want the true stuff.

Reposado (rested) is tequila aged up to a year. A bit more mellow, taking on the flavor of the cask.

Anejo...aged over a year, sometimes much longer. Good ones are very expensive and have qualities similar to fine brandies. Waste of good tequila to use these as a mixer, they are for sipping.

It always boils down to what you like. I spent a few years figuring out how to stock my liquor cabinet, and it was a lot of fun! I settled on this list for the main stuff:

Bourbon--Woodford Reserve
Scotch--Dalwhinnie (peaty enough, but not so much that Dewars drinkers mind)
Tequila--Patron Gold for most folks; I tend to like the rawer mezcal type with the worm
Gin--Junipero (by the Anchor Steam people) or Bombay (not Sapphire)
Vodka--I didn't see much difference in the premium brands (the Smirnoff class is awful); I keep Grey Goose
Rum--Mount Gay dark
Cognac--Remy Club by preference; also Meukow, Hennesy VSOP, Martell's VSOP
Other brandy--aside from flavored ones for mixing, I keep Cardinal Mendoza, and whatever good Armagnac I can get my hands on!

Last edited:
I agree with Bombay Sapphire for gin (even though I can't stand gin!)

I'm a vodka drinker and a snobby one at that! Grey Goose would be my #1 choice, followed by Belleveder. I currently have Absolut in my freezer which is also good.

All this talk of vodka is making me crave a nice Bloody Mary for breakfast!

I am trying to keep a stock of the most common alcohols in my pantry but since I don't know much about drinks I am wondering what are the good brands for the following liquors:

Brandy
Gin
Tequila

Gin--Bombay Sapphire is my favorite. Hendricks is way up there too.
Tequila--toss up between. Cabo Wabo, Patron gold, Tres Generations..
Brandy[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]--I'm not a big fan of Brandy... I prefer Bourbon.. - USA[/FONT]

Jeff G said:
On a technical note--Jack Daniels is NOT Bourbon. It's sour mash whiskey..

Actually, all bourbons are sour mash whiskeys, the process where some of the backset (from the previous distillation) is added to the new mash. Jack Daniel's and Geroge Dickel are (sour mash) Tennessee Whiskeys due to the "Lynchburg Process" where the wiskey is charcoal filtered prior to barreling which technically prohibits them from being a bourbon.

Actually, all bourbons are sour mash whiskeys, the process where some of the backset (from the previous distillation) is added to the new mash. Jack Daniel's and Geroge Dickel are (sour mash) Tennessee Whiskeys due to the "Lynchburg Process" where the wiskey is charcoal filtered prior to barreling which technically prohibits them from being a bourbon.

So the spent mash is "sour mash"... I wasn't sure about that. I have to say I drink mainly single barrel bourbons. I am not fond of Jack Daniels.. Just doesn't taste right to me..

So the spent mash is "sour mash"... I wasn't sure about that. I have to say I drink mainly single barrel bourbons. I am not fond of Jack Daniels.. Just doesn't taste right to me..

Yes, as much as 25% (usually less) of back set is added to the new mash. Every distiller has their own formular. It helps to create a continuity from mash to mash. Through reputation, and excellent Marketing strategies JD is probably the Number One selling American whiskey in the world! It's certainly not because of taste! (IMHO) The Black Label whiskey has quietly gone from 90 proof to 86 proof to it's current 80 proof, while retail prices have quietly gone up along with all whiskeys. It smells and taste of shellac to me. If I want a quality Tennessee Whiskey it is always George Dickle 12...which is always in my bunker along with numerous Bourbons.

Yes, as much as 25% (usually less) of back set is added to the new mash. Every distiller has their own formular. It helps to create a continuity from mash to mash. Through reputation, and excellent Marketing strategies JD is probably the Number One selling American whiskey in the world! It's certainly not because of taste! (IMHO) The Black Label whiskey has quietly gone from 90 proof to 86 proof to it's current 80 proof, while retail prices have quietly gone up along with all whiskeys. It smells and taste of shellac to me. If I want a quality Tennessee Whiskey it is always George Dickle 12...which is always in my bunker along with numerous Bourbons.
GD is great, Makers Mark is usually on the shelf too. For basic mixing, Good ol' Jim Beam isn't bad. The black label (8yr old), is quite nice.

I didn't realize they back set quite that much!! that is substantial.. Currently I have a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 yr old. It has a unique flavor, quite unlike most bourbons.. I find it pleasant, some don't.

I always thought I was a blanco tequila lover because I have been a Patron Silver fan forever and ever. But we went to this super new spot in Redmond tonight for cocktails called "Matador" and our great bartender recommended we try Don Camilo Reposado ... my oh my, it's a beyooootiful sipping tequila. Next time I'm trying an anejo! The gorgeous bar, with it's inlaid wood, was nearly as yummy as the drinks.

It's kind of like scotch ... hated it! Until a friend opened a bottle of 21-year-old GlenLivit. Talk about a quick convert. =P It's hard to describe the warmth that starts at the back of your throat and just kind of works it way down into your stomach until you're just kind of amazed at the taste that's left lingering on your tongue. Or a casket strength MacCallen which feels like sipping fire until you feel like glowing embers are rolling through your veins. oy I'm getting thirsty just typing this. :-p

I'm not a huge gin drinker, but Bombay would have to be my choice if I were to make one.

I'm pretty ignorant about brandies. Other than having some in a coffee nudge once in awhile, I can't say I have ever had any.

And though I LOVE love the smell of whiskey and bourbons, I haven't quite developed a taste for them. Basil Hayden smells the best of what I know so far. Now if I could just learn to sip one ...

:heart:
Z

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom