What beer do you enjoy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our area ''Technicolor wines'' were Thunderbird and Bali Hi Sangria. I get a headache just thinking about them. I believe Colt 45 had a higher alcohol content than most beers.Oops Another headache.

Last edited:
Our area ''Technicolor wines'' were Thunderbird and Bali Hi Sangria. I get a headache just thinking about them. I believe Colt 45 had a higher alcohol content than most beers.Oops Another headache.
I remember seeing Thunderbird. Colt 45 was sold as "stout malt liquor" in California because it had more alcohol than beer was allowed to have. I guess it put it into a different alcohol tax rate.

Lol! I remember Thunderbird was the cheapest of the cheap....sadly I had a friend whose mom was an alcoholic and that's what she drank, because it was so. I think I remember seeing Bali Hi Sangria and for sure Colt 45 beer! And yes"headaches" came free with all!

If I remember right ''Boones Farm'' also made a peach wine. It was another ''Winner''. We also had ''Lake Cucamonga'' wine at $3.00@ Gallon. Oh Boy!

Last edited:
I was only 18 when I left California for Denmark. The drinking age was (is?) 21. Got to Denmark and started drinking Tuborg and Carlsberg. I still like both of those beers.
I remember'' Carlsberg Elephant Beer'' It was very strong and had a 7.2% alcohol content. All the Carlsberg beers are excellent. We also used to drink '' Ringes'' from Oslo. Not sure if they still make it.

I remember'' Carlsberg Elephant Beer'' It was very strong and had a 7.2% alcohol content. All the Carlsberg beers are excellent. We also used to drink '' Ringes'' from Oslo. Not sure if they still make it.
Yup, Carlsberg still makes Elephant Beer. It's 7.2% alcohol by weight in Denmark, so ~9% by volume. :ohmy: It's strong stuff.

I love beer. All kinds of beer. Make it good and cold, I don't really care what brand it is.
I also do not like to eat my beer which is the case with these very stout brews.
I like a lager and drink light beer most of the time.
Speaking of alcohol content. I saw this beer has 8%. See the picture below.
Its the strongest we can buy here in SC.

Attachments

• Icehouse edge.jpg
    Icehouse edge.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 205
I love beer. All kinds of beer. Make it good and cold, I don't really care what brand it is.
I also do not like to eat my beer which is the case with these very stout brews.
I like a lager and drink light beer most of the time.
Speaking of alcohol content. I saw this beer has 8%. See the picture below.
Its the strongest we can buy here in SC.

You can buy much stronger in SC. Check out Charleston Beer Exchange, Greenville Beer Exchange and a lot of other stores. There are many beers much higher than 8% available in bottle shops.

Just a quick perusal shows that Charleston Beer Exchange has Allagash Odyssey, which is 10.4% ABV.

http://www.charlestonbeerexchange.com/inventory/

Last edited:
You can buy much stronger in SC. Check out Charleston Beer Exchange, Greenville Beer Exchange and a lot of other stores. There are many beers much higher than 8% available in bottle shops.

Just a quick perusal shows that Charleston Beer Exchange has Allagash Odyssey, which is 10.4% ABV.

The Charleston Beer Exchange

Thanks phinz. But alcohol content is not the reason I drink beer. I rarely drink craft beers. Thanks for the clarification/correction.
Bud Light suits me just fine. ;)

Thanks phinz. But alcohol content is not the reason I drink beer. I rarely drink craft beers. Thanks for the clarification/correction.
Bud Light suits me just fine. ;)

I don't drink it for alcohol content either and never implied that you did. I was just clarifying that your statement was incorrect regarding available ABV. SC has one of the top bottle shops in the world. Charleston Beer Exchange was voted number four in the United States this year, 2nd in the world in 2011 and top in the United States in 2012, and a lot of what they carry is above 8%.

I drink beer for flavor and sometimes just for adventure. I've tried some weird ones over the years. It so happens that sometimes my preferred beers have a high ABV. Oftentimes it's the opposite. Anybody who drinks just because of the ABV is a fool.

I don't drink it for alcohol content either and never implied that you did. I was just clarifying that your statement was incorrect regarding available ABV. SC has one of the top bottle shops in the world. Charleston Beer Exchange was voted number four in the United States this year, 2nd in the world in 2011 and top in the United States in 2012, and a lot of what they carry is above 8%.

I drink beer for flavor and sometimes just for adventure. I've tried some weird ones over the years. It so happens that sometimes my preferred beers have a high ABV. Oftentimes it's the opposite. Anybody who drinks just because of the ABV is a fool.

Okay got it. I stand corrected. You are right and I am wrong. :rolleyes: Mistaken is a better more appropriate word.

Are these beers (Charleston Beer Exchange) available in the Upstate of SC? I have never seen them and we are 250 miles from Charleston.
I also will try any beer. Doesn't matter where or who made it. If its something I have never had, I will order it. Try it out.

"Phinz" makes me think of my favorite team.

Are these beers (Charleston Beer Exchange) available in the Upstate of SC? I have never seen them and we are 250 miles from Charleston.
I also will try any beer. Doesn't matter where or who made it. If its something I have never had, I will order it. Try it out.

They should be. If Charleston Beer Exchange and Greenville Beer Exchange can get them, I would imagine any beer sales location in SC can get them. Spartanburg has a shop called Oasis that carries a lot of different beers. Asheville, if you don't mind running across the border, has Bruisin' Ales. They have a stellar selection of beers. There's the Growler Station in Greenville. Lots of places.

I like beer exploration too. The first thing I look for on a menu or in a bar is something I haven't tried. That's part of the fun of the beer world. There's so much out there right now it's impossible to keep up, so I just keep trying new things.

They should be. If Charleston Beer Exchange and Greenville Beer Exchange can get them, I would imagine any beer sales location in SC can get them. Spartanburg has a shop called Oasis that carries a lot of different beers. Asheville, if you don't mind running across the border, has Bruisin' Ales. They have a stellar selection of beers. There's the Growler Station in Greenville. Lots of places.

I like beer exploration too. The first thing I look for on a menu or in a bar is something I haven't tried. That's part of the fun of the beer world. There's so much out there right now it's impossible to keep up, so I just keep trying new things.

So whats up with your user name? "phinz"

I think I know, but I am not sure. Your location has given me some insight. I think?

I think he is paying homage to a Buffet song. Kinda like what I told my female scuba students when they asked about sharks on openwater dives. "Honey, there are more sharks on this boat than you will ever see in the water!";)

I'm a notorious Parrothead and John D. MacDonald fan. :cool:

I think he is paying homage to a Buffet song. Kinda like what I told my female scuba students when they asked about sharks on openwater dives. "Honey, there are more sharks on this boat than you will ever see in the water!";)

I am still not exactly sure. I know what a "Parrot Head" is and i am familiar with the singer/songwriter.
But "phinz" other than the shark fin on "Land Shark" beers logo, I was thinking he might be a "Fin" fan?
Like I am.

And if I am reading his location correctly, he is positioned to be a Fin Fan!!!!

Last edited:
I am still not exactly sure. I know what a "Parrot Head" is and i am familiar with the singer/songwriter.
But "phinz" other than the shark fin on "Land Shark" beers logo, I was thinking he might be a "Fin" fan?
Like I am.

And if I am reading his location correctly, he is positioned to be a Fin Fan!!!!

Not a Dolphins fan. Actually not really a sports fan at all.

Jimmy Buffett and Tom Corcoran wrote a song called Fins.

Jimmy Buffett Fins Music Video - YouTube

Travis McGee lived at Slip F-18, Bahia Mar Marina, in John D. MacDonald's books. The slip itself has never existed, but the marina does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom