What beer do you enjoy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lowenbrau is my favorite. It ha an interesting history dating back to 1358 in Munich. Second is Grolsch a Dutch beer it has a porcelain cap top with a wire spring holding it in place. Also like Ballantine India Pale Ale. Rolling Rock, I guess I could keep going now that I think of it. Probably a shorter list of what I don't like. I like to use Guinness for cooking.

Last edited:
0547646.jpg
2Q==
2Q==

I should have said beers I used to like. Now I only drink N.A. beers. O'douls Amber is my favorite. Sharps next and then O'Douls Green or N.A. Bud. My only regret is that I never had a Sam Adams or any of the many specialty and Microbrews that are on the market today.

Last edited:
I should have said beers I used to like. Now I only drink N.A. beers. O'douls Amber is my favorite. Sharps next and then O'Douls Green or N.A. Bud. My only regret is that I never had a Sam Adams or any of the many specialty and Microbrews that are on the market today.

What??? You live in the Northeast and have never had a Sam Adams? Sam Adams is no longer a microbrew. If you look at their site, they now have breweries in several places and are fast climbing up to the top. They are also expanding to overseas. But their original plant in Jamaica Plain is still in operation and going strong. :angel:

What??? You live in the Northeast and have never had a Sam Adams? Sam Adams is no longer a microbrew. If you look at their site, they now have breweries in several places and are fast climbing up to the top. They are also expanding to overseas. But their original plant in Jamaica Plain is still in operation and going strong. :angel:
Unfortunately Sam Adams Beer wasn't invented until after I stopped drinking beer with alcohol. Like I said we all have regrets. Also remember Coor's wasn't even shipped East of the Rockies. Hulls Lager and Hull's Cream Ale were the last regional beers made in our state. I know Hul's was very popular around Yale but if I remember, it didn't do much for my taste buds.

Unfortunately Sam Adams Beer wasn't invented until after I stopped drinking beer with alcohol. Like I said we all have regrets. Also remember Coor's wasn't even shipped East of the Rockies. Hulls Lager and Hull's Cream Ale were the last regional beers made in our state. I know Hul's was very popular around Yale but if I remember, it didn't do much for my taste buds.

Coor's wasn't shipped East of the Mississippi...

I remember those days...Coor's was also shipped in refrigerated trucks as I recall.
On a side note...I have a friend who claims that he has (*ahem* I reckon I best not regale y'all with the details...) Let's just say that Rocky Mountain stream was a tick saltier than it shoulda been one day.

Nope! It had a higher alcohol content than other brands and above what the eastern states allowed for beer. For Massachusetts it was 10%. :angel:
Addie, I'm not sure where you got this information, but I don't buy it. According to RealBeer.com, Coors has the same 5%-ish alcohol content as most every other mass-market brand, such as Miller and Bud.

I also checked the alcohol laws for Massachusetts and there is no cap on beer ABV. In fact, Sam Adams makes a Triple Bock beer with 17.5% alcohol.

I have a co-worker whose husband is a bigwig at Coors. I'm going to have to see if she knows. From what I've been led to believe, the only reason Coors wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi is because they intentionally limited their distribution, not because of outside influences. I have no citation for this, however.

On a sidenote, I recall Coors being somewhat like the "forbidden fruit" of beers when I was younger, due to it not being available where I lived. Then a friend brought some back from a trip out west. All I can say is "yuck." We all decided to stick with our regular brands. :sick:

Last edited:
Addie, I'm not sure where you got this information, but I don't buy it. According to RealBeer.com, Coors has the same 5% alcohol content as most every other mass-market brand, such as Miller and Bud.

I also checked the alcohol laws for Massachusetts and there is no cap on beer ABV. In fact, Sam Adams makes a Triple Bock beer with 17.5% alcohol.

I have a co-worker whose husband is a bigwig at Coors. I'm going to have to see if she knows. From what I've been led to believe, the only reason Coors wasn't shipped east of the Mississippi is because they intentionally limited their distribution, not because of outside influences. I have no citation for this, however.

On a sidenote, I recall Coors being somewhat like the "forbidden fruit" of beers when I was younger, due to it not being available where I lived. Then a friend brought some back from a trip out west. All I can say is "yuck." We all decided to stick with our regular brands. :sick:

Steve, when I was growing up the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Commission) had some very strict laws here in Massachusetts. As did most of the New England states. In Maine you cannot stand while holding a drink in your hand. Or at least you couldn't. A tight control kept the lid on alcohol and all it entailed. Our bars closed at midnight on Saturday and couldn't open until one p.m. on Sunday. Our bars closed during the weekdays at 1 a.m. And the laws for liquor stores was even stricter. No sales on Sunday at all. You couldn't open your doors until nine a.m. during the week. You had to close by 11:00 p.m. You could not buy alcohol in grocery stores. Then during the 80's they decided to try and ease some of the rules. You could drink at 18 instead of 21. That was a disaster. We still had kids in H.S. who were 18. Kids were showing up at school with massive hangovers. Violence increased in the schools. And the auto accidents skyrocketed. That only lasted for a little more than a year. And it has only been recently that liquor stores have been open on Sundays. We move slowly here. :angel:

That might be Massachusetts. I'm talking about where you claim above that "[Coors] had a higher alcohol content than other brands and above what the eastern states allowed for beer."

That's not true, according to my research.

And regarding the Massachusetts drinking age, The New York Times states here that on Dec 4, 1984 "Gov. Michael S. Dukakis today signed a bill raising the drinking age in Massachusetts from 20 to 21, effective June 1, [1985] or earlier if all other New England states and New York conform to that age." Nowhere does it state that the drinking age was lowered to 18 during this period.

EDIT: Actually, Massachusetts' drinking age was lowered to 18 in 1973 and raised to 20 in 1979.

Last edited:
That might be Massachusetts. I'm talking about where you claim above that "[Coors] had a higher alcohol content than other brands and above what the eastern states allowed for beer."

That's not true, according to my research.

And regarding the Massachusetts drinking age, The New York Times states here that on Dec 4, 1984 "Gov. Michael S. Dukakis today signed a bill raising the drinking age in Massachusetts from 20 to 21, effective June 1, [1985] or earlier if all other New England states and New York conform to that age." Nowhere does it state that the drinking age was lowered to 18 during this period.

EDIT: Actually, Massachusetts' drinking age was lowered to 18 in 1973 and raised to 20 in 1979.

On that I was absolutely positive because my daughter was old enough, yet to scared to come home drunk. I was also working for the BPD at the time and they had their hands full with "kids" drinking that weren't even out of school yet. They would bring the kids in drunk for PC and they would be hollering that they had to get home because they had homework to do.

Steve back in the mid 70's when I worked for the BPD, some of the guys brought in an unopened six pack minus one, of a beer that came from Texas. They were filling out the paper work to send it to ABC to test it for alcohol content. They took it from a man sitting on his front steps on a hot summer night drinking. If it came back with a higher content that was allowed by our laws, they were discussing whether they wanted to take the time to prosecute him. They decided it wasn't worth it. And no, even today you cannot sit on your front steps or porch and drink in public. Only inside an establishment. Such as a bar or your home. When my daughter is in her back yard, she has to keep the stockade gate closed if they are drinking. Alcohol cannot be visible to the street. Oh, one more thing. We do not have Happy Hour either. That was outlawed several years back. Alcohol cannot be used as a prize or cut in price as an incentive to purchase more alcohol. And don't plan on drinking on Election Day. No alcohol sales until after all polling places are closed. :angel:

I remember those days...Coor's was also shipped in refrigerated trucks as I recall.
On a side note...I have a friend who claims that he has (*ahem* I reckon I best not regale y'all with the details...) Let's just say that Rocky Mountain stream was a tick saltier than it shoulda been one day.
I remember friends brought Coor's Back east and we thought it was something special. They always said they couldn't ship it unless it was refrigerated and the expense to the east was to much. Then when it showed up they had these confusing advertisements about how it was refrigerated since day one. In our area the distributors don' even have refrigerated trucks for store deliveries, nevermind warhouses.Ads must have meant ''something else''

Addie, that was 60-70 years ago. Things have changed ;)

I know I am old, but I used to waitress in one of our local bars in the late 60's and 70's. BTW, even before there was AC, you could not leave the door to a barroom or any establishment that sold liquor open or have a screen door. That law is still in effect. Yet at Fanuiel Hall, a tourist trap, they have tables outside where you can sit with your drinks. The whole purpose of the closed door is to "protect children from seeing adults drinking". Yet there are more children there on a summer day than you will see in a classroom. Go figure. We have some very dumb liquor laws in this state.

All these stupid liquor laws came about because we had a "Watch & Ward Society" that made it their business to stick their nose where it didn't belong. I had my youngest daughter at Boston City Hospital. When I went for my checkups, the W&WS wanted me to bring in my marriage certificate. I refused. I knew I was married, the State knew and so did the Queen of England. They threatened to take me to court. That was 1960. I had my daughter before they could do anything and I never went back for my six week checkup. By 1965, I think they disbanded. The W&WS also stopped the police from playing cards in the station house. It promoted gambling. Another stupid law still on the books. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom