What does "dry" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... so why does a dry martini have less vermouth in it even though it is dry vermouth to begin with... ?

Hmmm... so why does a dry martini have less vermouth in it even though it is dry vermouth to begin with... ?

Yes.

Some dry martinis only have the vermouth bottle waived above it. I like my martinis with the vermouth added to the ice, shaken, vermouth dumped, gin added, shaken and poured.

Also, dry vermouth still is a somewhat sweet, though not as sweet as sweet vermouth.

It is my understanding that any vermouth drink that uses dry vermouth is called 'dry' while those that use sweet vermouth are usually called 'sweet'.

A dry martini calls for dry vermouth (and have never heard of a sweet gin or vodka martini). But then some folks decided that less vermouth might be tastier and called those very dry martinis. Yep, and now some folks ignore the vermouth altogether, although to me that is just a glass of gin.

And remember, let your taste be your guide with all foods and beverages. before I had a religeous reason to stop drinking alcoholic beverages (including wines), I tried for four years to "develop a taste" for them. In my 21rst year, I finally realized that I was drinking alcoholic beveerages because of peer pressure. I enjoyed niether the flavor not the feelings that went with drinking them, including drinking in moderation.

We all have different tastes we like and dislike. If you ahve no reason to not drink wines, then by all means, try them and determine what you like and dislike. But if you find that the flavor is not good for you, then don't let society, or peer pressure dictate to you what you should and shouldn't be drinking.

I choose to believe in a faith that is alcohol free. But I quit drinking alcoholic beverages long before I joined that faith, or even knew what it was.

The only exception for me was one time when I pan-fried a pork chop until mostly cooked through, added 2 tbs. Sherry, and covered to finish them. They were quite tasty. But truly, that was the only instance where I could stomach the flavor of any alcoholic beverage.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In terms of alcoholic beverages, Dry is a term used to describe the residual sugars (Specific gravity, brix, etc) and other elements that combine in the finish of a drink.

For example, a pale ale when unhopped may be quite sweet. The bitterness from the hops (a combination of tannins and alpha acids) helps "dry" it out.

A "dry" gin will have a lower residual sugar/more pronounced spicing mix to it.

The "pucker factor" (Anyone remember those old Keystone Bitter Beer Face Commercials?) is often a side effect, but not quite the same thing. ;)

And now back to the shadows I go!

If it makes your mouth pucker (removes saliva) doesn't that mean it's Bitter?

My understanding is..
Bitter = removes saliva
Sour = makes you salivate

This thread refers to cooking with wine, however you can use it for tasting as well.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f121/cooking-wine-36670.html

I'm not sure where the pucker thing is going, but drier wines are definately not sour or bitter. I thought the cheese was a good explanation. You could also use the flavor of some grapes that haven't completely ripened yet.

Or go buy a cheap bottle of cabernet and a cheap Sangria and you'll see the difference.

When you are ready beginner chef, go to your local liquor store and have them suggest some good wines to start out on. Give them your price range. A good bottle of wine does not have to cost a lot. You can get a very good bottle for $10 just as you can get a lousy bottle for $300. Price is not always an indication of what will taste good to you when it comes to wine.

We have a chain store here called The Wine Depot - I'm not sure what parts of the country they cover, but they have free tastings on Saturdays and the staff is very knowledgeable about wine. The liquor stores in Va. carry primarily liquor (a few Va. wines, but not much selection), so unless the liquor stores in Missouri carry a lot of wine, I'd suggest finding a good wine store and getting guidance there.

DH and I went on a wine-tasting trip in the Russian River area of Napa Valley - it was great fun :)

Back
Top Bottom