What drink to order at 5-star restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have a selection of wines by the glass. Why

not try one of those. They may have some that are not typically available at other restaurants. They should have someone at the restaurant to guide you in your choice.

+1 for cara.

they might have a somela (sp?) the wine snob person. they can give you good wine suggestions that go well with the meal your ordering.

:(oh, how unfortunate that you consider a sommelier to be a snob. When you consider the years of education they have, coupled with the ability to distinguish subtle nuances in flavours of countless wines, surely you can see they are an asset to a fine dining experience. Having knowledge and understanding of a product (or ability, or subject, etc) doesn't make you a snob, it just makes you knowledgeable.

i didnt mean it in a bad way. I had a teach who was like at a level master or what ever it is. its very impressive.

i guess it didnt come off in a joking manner. ohh well.

knowledge is power and that is 1 knowledge I hope to eventually have a bit of.

Definitely get a nice glass (or two of wine) with dinner.

After dinner, sip a Grand Marnier or have a coffee with Frangelico in it (yum, love that hazelnut liquor).

Looks like a VERY nice place. Enjoy!

Since I gave up alcohol a while ago I would order cool/cold tea, no ice.

I think it would be interesting.

I'd probably order a glass of a nice Cabernet Sauvigonon. It's my "go-to" drink, unless they have something else particularly interesting.

You want to impress the waiter/waitress? When your asked what you want for a drink, bring out your ID and give it to them. After they "approve" it, say..."Mmmm, water please" while you look them in the eye. After three seconds...Say the alcohol drink of your choice...No matter how many times they've heard that, they'll get a chuckle...

Anyways...Since you're asking on here, you most likely want to impress...Only two ways to impress, the most expensive drink or the highest alcohol content, which is usually Everclear, Bacardi 151 or Wild turkey 101...Order a 151 and cola tall... :)

Only two ways to impress, the most expensive drink or the highest alcohol content
I completely disagree. I do not find either of those things impressive. What is impressive to me is when someone knows different types of wine and what kind goes with which food. That is something I can not do and thus find it impressive. Opening your wallet and buying an expensive or strong drink ranks zero on the impressive scale for me.

And you know what? Like everything else involved with food, there really is no such thing as "knowing" what wine goes with what food. Once again it's all a matter of personal taste & preference. If you like that young red wine with your fish dish - ENJOY IT!!! If you like that Italian white with your steak - ENJOY IT!!! Like Ruby Port instead of the aged & pricey Tawny Port that everyone says you "should" enjoy more? Give them the boot & ENJOY your Ruby Port!!!!

I don't think I can possibly be more annoyed than by these dictates by the "wine police" that do nothing but make people feel embarrassed or stupid because they're enjoying what THEY like - regardless of the idiotic "norm".

Well that certainly is not what I am talking about Breezy. I am talking about people who can point out that wine xyz goes great with my whatever dish because the the notes of blah blah blah compliment the flavor of whoseiswhatsits in my meal. Sure it is up to me to decide if I agree or disagree with their final recommendation, but that does not mean that just because they have some knowledge that they are going to be snobby about it. I happen to know plenty of people (a few in particular on this very site) who have a great knowledge of wines and paring and are not the least bit dictators or annoying or police in their recommendations. They are simply helpful and for that I am grateful.

All that is very true Breezy. There are some wines that go nicely and "best" with some foods. However, if you do not like that wine then that blows that theory right out the window!!! I like a nice red with my tuna and salmon. Pork, depending on the sauce or sides may dictate red, or may dictate white. If I am having an "acid reflux" day then white it will be with my big fat steak...and I'll enjoy it too...it may be barrel-fermented to compliment the steak though! If a sommelier, for example, is asked what goes with what, they have the knowledge to know what goes with what. After speaking to that individual they should make the person feel at ease with their choice, even if wrong in their eyes.

Sometimes taking direction from a person knowledgeable in wine and food pairings can make for some very happy taste buds!

Both Buck's grandfather and father were wine aficionados and Buck became one too through their tutelage. It was always a treat to go out to a fine restaurant with him because he knew the wines and what paired well with what. He never steered me wrong and we had many a delightful meal. I still have all his wonderful wine books and envelopes full of wine labels taken from bottles we enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom