"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #41
Head Chef

I think that a wine snob would be someone who trys to make the house believe that he knows more than the sommelier. I would ask for recommendations both on the dinner and the wine and/or other libations. That's what they are there for. They will always give you good advice. You may want to inquire about the price on that special bottle, however. They don't always volunteer that info. Or, give them a price range.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #42
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
ok, obviouslly...... I have a mind of my own and tastes of my own "lol". just looking for some new ideas maybe.

I'm going to a 5 star restaurant this weekend and wanted to get something good and something I could enjoy. I don't drink often...well i do have 2 little ones so I don't have the time.

Anyways, what would you order if you were sitting in a 5 star restaurant.
If I wanted to try something different from what I usually ordered, I would find out what the special Cocktail of the House was, and ordered that.

However, I don't really like or drink cocktails, other than a very occasional extra dry Martini, so I would have ordered wine, which is what I prefer.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
You want to impress the waiter/waitress? When your asked what you want for a drink, bring out your ID and give it to them. After they "approve" it, say..."Mmmm, water please" while you look them in the eye. After three seconds...Say the alcohol drink of your choice...No matter how many times they've heard that, they'll get a chuckle...

Anyways...Since you're asking on here, you most likely want to impress...Only two ways to impress, the most expensive drink or the highest alcohol content, which is usually Everclear, Bacardi 151 or Wild turkey 101...Order a 151 and cola tall... :)
The only people I know who are worried about impressing anyone as you have described are some of those who have just attained the legal drinking age. and are trying to be "slick." The only person worth impressing is yourself. If you don't know what you'd like, ask for suggestions from the staff. They know what they have, and should be able to explain everything.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Both Buck's grandfather and father were wine aficionados and Buck became one too through their tutelage. It was always a treat to go out to a fine restaurant with him because he knew the wines and what paired well with what. He never steered me wrong and we had many a delightful meal. I still have all his wonderful wine books and envelopes full of wine labels taken from bottles we enjoyed.

And I'll bet you learned a lot about wine from Buck, too, Katie!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #45
Master Chef

Water.