"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Picasso View Post
Thank you all for reply, really appreciate it! However this bar isn't really for friends, more for business guests. So what brand vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila do you guys suggest?
I would stick to the middle of the road.

If I was a client and saw only the best booze, I would know full well that I was paying for it and after a couple of drinks I would go do business elsewhere.

IMO socializing is best kept separate from business. I would conduct my business and then offer to take the client out for a drink. It has been my experience that the best business people decline the offer.

One final thought and that is liability to you and your business if a client has a couple of friendly pops and then has a problem driving home.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What drinks should I get for my bar?

I would do middle of the road too. There's a lot of frou-frou stuff out there. Schmirnoff vodka, Tanqueray or Bombay gin, Bacardi rum (Anjeo for dark), Johnny Walker Red or Cutty Sark scotch, Canadian Club whiskey, Jose Cuervo tequila. Jack Daniels bourbon if you're so inclined. I don't care for bourbon, but many do.

All are popular brands, and quite good. They're readily available anywhere. As you learn more about your customers' tastes, you can add more. (I was a bartender for many years.)

Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #13
Executive Chef

A good port would work and if you entertain southern clients a good bourbon.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Could I add to MC's super and knowledgeable list ( sounds a bit too knowledgeable to me ) an Extra dry Martini to go with the well chosen Bombay Sapphire gin so as to make a perfect 'Martini' oh, and don't forget the olives.
For the office; a selection of green, mint,and lemon teas perhaps

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Head Chef

How often do you entertain and what do your friends drink? You don't need to go to the expense of a full bar if you it would be mostly beer and wine. Vodka, gin and mixers may be all you may need and you may be able to afford a higher end brand if you aren't spreading your budget too thin.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Picasso View Post
Thank you all for reply, really appreciate it! However this bar isn't really for friends, more for business guests. So what brand vodka, rum, scotch, whiskey, gin, tequila do you guys suggest?
Go to a liquor store and tell the proprietor what you are doing. They can help you. My friend built a bar and got the store to help him stock it.
They were very helpful and even gave him free bottles as he spent a considerable amount to start up with.
He is still using the same store and is treated quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If I was a client and saw only the best booze, I would know full well that I was paying for it and after a couple of drinks I would go do business elsewhere.
IMO socializing is best kept separate from business. I would conduct my business and then offer to take the client out for a drink. It has been my experience that the best business people decline the offer.
One final thought and that is liability to you and your business if a client has a couple of friendly pops and then has a problem driving home.
Good luck!
We went out of our way to please our customers. Buying the best and allowing them the freedom to decide when and where to drink was considered polite.
Especially now that we live in a global society.
Not all customers have the same values as us stuck up Americans have.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Could I add to MC's super and knowledgeable list ( sounds a bit too knowledgeable to me ) an Extra dry Martini to go with the well chosen Bombay Sapphire gin so as to make a perfect 'Martini' oh, and don't forget the olives.
For the office; a selection of green, mint,and lemon teas perhaps
Drat, completely forgot about the extra dry vermouth for the martinis.

Believe it or not, I don't drink much. Unlike many people who get "merry" under the influence I become very straight-laced and solemn. Not bad tempered, just spinster-ish and disapproving so one G&T or two smallish glasses of wine are my limit.

I am the black sheep of mother's family who are all kind and cheerful drinkers
Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Good luck!
I have to say that I agree with you on this, Aunt Bea. I don't know if it's a British thing but most places I've worked (except for bars, obviously) have had "no alcohol" rules. Apart from anything else I'd be worried about the client turning round and saying he was made to sign a contract under the influence after being plied with liquor!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Hope you knew that I was kidding you MC xx

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Hope you knew that I was kidding you MC xx
Of course I did MM. As I say, my drinking habits are the family joke

Tags