"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What is wrong with drinking pure alcohol. That can be very enjoyable. Just ask anyone who drinks martinis (the original kind or even a vodka martini) or people who enjoy scotch straight up or any other alcohol straight up. Straight alcohol can be very enjoyable.
Those are my favorite drinks. SM scotch and classic martinis. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Yeah there isn't anything wrong with drinking pure alcohol, I enjoy it myself, I was just saying I don't think she'd like it.

And also, I did not explicitly say a "mixed drink" so wine is not out of the question, as some other posters mentioned. Although my original post might have made it sound like that. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #43
Master Chef

Ahh, well in that case are you having anything when she comes over? Just drinks, or dinner and drinks, or maybe appetizers and drinks? That does influence what you might choose to serve.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Ahh, well in that case are you having anything when she comes over? Just drinks, or dinner and drinks, or maybe appetizers and drinks? That does influence what you might choose to serve.
Yeah I was thinking about making this

Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon Recipe - Fish - MyRecipes.com + Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Marsala Recipe - Vegetables - MyRecipes.com
Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #45
Head Chef

Fred Sanford had a drink he mixed to impress the ladies...Champagne and Ripple. He called it "Cham-Pipple."
Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #46
Master Chef

Hmm, I need some help here. I am not sure how well the salmon will pair with mashed potatoes with Marsala wine in them... but I could be wrong (I do that a lot!).
And I don't think a mixed drink should go with it, probably a nice wine but I don't know if it should be white or red, dry or sweet.
Sorry, someone else is gonna have to come along and help out at this point.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Sorry, it probably just sounds like I'm making way too big of a deal of out a drink... It's just that I am posting this in the 'alcoholic drinks' forum so that is the emphasis here. That is not the whole focus of my entire evening with this person it's just that in this forum, that is what I am inquiring about.

And, I have made the salmon and mashed potatoes and I think it works nicely. The marsala part of the sweet potatoes is not really significant... it doesn't do much, only like a tablespoon of wine. Just adds a slight flavor. It's good, try it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #48
Master Chef

I don't think you are making a big deal out of this, I am just not sure what wine would go well with what you are cooking. Sounds kinda important, so I don't want to lead you astray.
The food sounds good, I just may pick up the ingredients for it next time I am shopping and give it a try. The potatoes have me intrigued, I am very curious how they will taste and match up.
Hopefully someone will come along with good ideas on a nice wine or other drink to go along with it, then I will know what to serve with it if I make it, LOL!
See, I have only selfish reasons in all this ;)
Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I don't think you are making a big deal out of this, I am just not sure what wine would go well with what you are cooking. Sounds kinda important, so I don't want to lead you astray.
The food sounds good, I just may pick up the ingredients for it next time I am shopping and give it a try. The potatoes have me intrigued, I am very curious how they will taste and match up.
Hopefully someone will come along with good ideas on a nice wine or other drink to go along with it, then I will know what to serve with it if I make it, LOL!
See, I have only selfish reasons in all this ;)
Thank you. The point is: I'm just trying to make a nice evening for this girl and I think that having a nice dinner / drink can really contribute to that. I guess that is why I am at a cooking forum?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #50
Master Chef

You're in the right place, we just need to tear some of these guys away from the Olympics long enough to help, LOL.