"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is dry red wine? Help!

Hello,
I have a qestion I have a recipe for Red snapper, and it says add dry red wine.What does that mean? I would like to know what Brand should i buy ?
I work at Costco and their are alot of different names and brands.
Some one told me not to use the cooking wines .Is this true?
I'm so confuse. please help me!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Well, you could soak it up with Bounty.....the quicker picker upper.

Dry represents tannins that when you drink it makes you want to smack your tounge on the roof of your mouth. Dry just is a term to describe a quality of the wine. Dry is like pucker. If you have had anything dry(besides my "humor", you know what I mean).

Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
"Dry" wine is the type of wine which is not "sweet". A dry wine has been fermented to the point most/all of the sugar element in the grapes is consumed.
I like the sweet red wine and I don't know enough of the dry ones to give you the recommendations, (anyone else out there to help out?) most definitely stay clear of those cooking wines!! They are really not wines (that's why you will find them in the condiments section of supermarkets, not in the wine section!), they contain chemical additives and the flavours are horrid. I would rather skip it or substitute with broth or something rather than using those "cooking wines"...

For cooking, there are many inexpensive choices, one thing to remember is you should be able to drink it, if you wouldn't drink it, don't use it in cooking either.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
Sous Chef

wine reply

Dry wine is wine that does not have a sweet taste.
Cooking wines often do not taste so good. A wine which tastes good to drink, will also make your recipe taste better than a wine that does not taste good to drink.
But dont worry too much about whether the wine is dry or not. I think any good tasting red wine will be ok.
When i have guests, i usually use some of the wine we will drink for dinner, in the the recipe. Good this way, because the bottle gets finished. Wine goes bitter, when opened for too long.
Mel
Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Here's an idea for you if you don't use much wine except for cooking, which sounds like you are just getting into.

Supermarkets carry little four-paks of Sutter Home bottles of wine - red and white - the bottles contain aprox. 1 cup each. You can keep these in your pantry for when a recipe calls for a small amount.

I'm sure there are other brands available also, but I've used the Sutter Home and it's good for cooking with.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

The others have answered your question about dry wine so I will answer your question about cooking wine.

Whoever told you not to use cooking wine was absolutely correct. Cooking wine has tons of salt added in. Buy a bottle and take a taste. Once you do that you will know why you would never want to use it in your food. It is horrible stuff.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

types of dry red wine: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Burgundy, Pinot Noir

"cooking Wines" have 1.5 % salt added to make them "undrinkable" thus saleable in dry communities. No good cook recommends cooking with a wine you can't drink. It is all about flavor, and if the flavor is bad, you don't want it in your food!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
For cooking, there are many inexpensive choices, one thing to remember is you should be able to drink it, if you wouldn't drink it, don't use it in cooking either.
THt's for darn sure!! I picked up a bottle of "cooking white wine" and ruined my dish. I'll pay more for actual wine next time and stay away from the vinegar aisle ~ which is where I found it. Should have clued in there.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
As others have said, avoid "cooking wines," which are horrible, tasteless, and full of salt.

Dry does mean the opposite of sweet in wine lingo, and usually refers to wine with under 1% residual sugar (the fermentation process converts the sugar in the grapes to alcohol, but it stops when the alcohol gets to about 14% and kills the yeast).

One word about cooking with wine -- it's usually best to avoid wines that are very tannic (a bitter quality like black tea that's been brewed too long) or that are heavily oaked (red wines and some whites are often aged in oak, which imparts unique woody flavors to the wine, often similar to vanilla). Those flavors make the wine more complex and enjoyable, at least to us winos, but if too strong, they can detract from any dish to which they're added, especially something light like fish.

When I cook with wine, which is quite often, I generally prefer something that's very fruity and not too tannic or oaky. That generally means not very expensive. I often choose something like Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc (white wines) or Syrah or Merlot or Pinot Noir (reds), although Chardonnay and Cabernet that's intended to drink now rather than age can be an excellent choice.

I do keep those small bottles that come in six-packs (187 ml each, which is 1/4 of a standard bottle) on hand for things that call for only a few ounces of wine. The Australian brand Lindeman's is a good choice. I also sometimes substitute dry sherry or vermouth for a small quantity of white wine -- but then white wine doesn't add much to most dishes, IMO.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Forgot about my Noilly Prat - this is just about all I use for white wine called for in recipes. The bottle is kept with my oils/vinegars and so very handy and does not go bad.