What is your beer I.Q.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBQ Mikey,

Are all 1,650 USA brewed beers ?

Can you provide us with some tasting notes on a dozen from a variety of different locations and assorted breweries, pales, darks and lagers ?

Thanks,
Ciao, Margi.

BBQ Mikey,

Are all 1,650 USA brewed beers ?

Can you provide us with some tasting notes on a dozen from a variety of different locations and assorted breweries, pales, darks and lagers ?

Thanks,
Ciao, Margi.

To answer your question, definitely not, fine beer flows everywhere (almost). I have had beer from many countries, states, cities, towns and individual roving brewers.

My Reviews

All beers Ive reviewed in the past month.....my handle on that site is Stinkypuss, you can search for all my reviews on the site. Cheers! Enjoy good beers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you brew your own BBQ. If not then you are missing big opportunities. I'm drinking a really good Classic American Pilsner, something you cannot get anymore

Yes, my father and I are a two man brewing team. Some recent ones we've made are IPA, Wild Raspberry Stout, Porter, and Pumpkin ale. We kegged our last batch of IPA and its ontap at my folks' home basement bar setup. Its pretty nice and hoppy with amarillo, warrior, and cascade hops in the boil, and pale/caramel malts, dry hopped with an unknown hop variety, and fermented with a mild english ale yeast .

I'm reminded of a poster I saw at a local CEGEP (junior college): The drunker he got, the better (picture of several attractive young women) they looked. Unfortunately, it didn't work the other way.

Mmmm-hm...like the four stages of tequila,
1. clever
2. handsome
3. rich
4. invisible

Or:
1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, floor.

Dang amateurs.

Last edited:
I think my beer IQ is 2+. Sam Adams Boston Lager most of the time and Sam Adams Winter Lager from November through January when it's available.

The '+' is for when those two are not available.

Around here Andy, Sam Adams rules. Two guys who found an old recipe and decided to try and make it for themselves. Now look where they stand in the world of beer. And they haven't lost their enthusiasm for what they do. They are still experimenting with new beers all the time.

Andy, did you know that their brewery has become a "must visit" for tourists? I think it is that free taste of beer they get before they leave at the end of the tour. I forget exactly what the amount is, but our crazy liquor laws do not allow the brewery to give away 'free' a taste of more than a certain amount of ounces of beer. I think it is eight ounces or more. And I think I read somewhere that they discourage bringing children into the brewery for the tour.

Mikey: Thank you for the valuable information

Buonasera, Mikey, :cool: ;)

Thank you for posting the Beer Advocat tasting notes for us. Truly appreciate it.

I plan to view the links tonight with the Vet ...

Have a lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margi.

The more beer I drink, the less IQ i have, so it seems....:D

NOT TRUE

In an episode of "Cheers," Cliff Clavin, the trivia-spouting, quirky, irksome mama's boy mailman is seated at the bar describing the buffalo theory to his buddy, Norm Peterson, the beer loving heavyweight bar stool sitting perpetual patron.

Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Magazine The Beer Advocate

Buon Giorno,

Thanks for your recommendation on flavor notes in the above named magazine online version.

Quite interesting.

As I have studied wines quite thoroughly, the tasting notes, are always of great interest to me.

Kind regards.
Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.

The more beer I drink, the less IQ i have, so it seems....:D
I have to agree. I am currently thinking to myself, "I just made a great supper, I couldn't possibly do that now."

And here is part of the reason:
IMG_3122.JPG

I'd say my beer IQ is average to above-average.
I'm mostly of the opinion that the best beer is free and/or the one in my hand these days though. I went through a microbrew beer snob phase once for a couple years, all high-and-mighty about microbrews and this that and the other before realizing it's not all that big of a deal to enjoy a "common" beer once sometimes too.

Last edited:
I like Yuengling Lager, Guiness, Bass Ale, Lionshead, Beck's, and Troeg's.

In college, I drank a lot of Milwaukee's Best Light, because it was really cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom