"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think my beer IQ is 2+. Sam Adams Boston Lager most of the time and Sam Adams Winter Lager from November through January when it's available.

The '+' is for when those two are not available.
Around here Andy, Sam Adams rules. Two guys who found an old recipe and decided to try and make it for themselves. Now look where they stand in the world of beer. And they haven't lost their enthusiasm for what they do. They are still experimenting with new beers all the time.

Andy, did you know that their brewery has become a "must visit" for tourists? I think it is that free taste of beer they get before they leave at the end of the tour. I forget exactly what the amount is, but our crazy liquor laws do not allow the brewery to give away 'free' a taste of more than a certain amount of ounces of beer. I think it is eight ounces or more. And I think I read somewhere that they discourage bringing children into the brewery for the tour.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #72
Executive Chef
I have been sticking with some small independent breweries. Steamwhistle from Toronto makes a great Pils when I get home from work. Another one is Unibrou from Quebec. They make great craft beers. I really love their La Fine Du Monde( 9% ) so I just have one. They have won some international awards...
Steam Whistle Brewing - Canada's Premium Pilsner

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #73
Executive Chef
Mikey: Thank you for the valuable information

Buonasera, Mikey,

Thank you for posting the Beer Advocat tasting notes for us. Truly appreciate it.

I plan to view the links tonight with the Vet ...

Have a lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #74
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
The more beer I drink, the less IQ i have, so it seems....

In an episode of "Cheers," Cliff Clavin, the trivia-spouting, quirky, irksome mama's boy mailman is seated at the bar describing the buffalo theory to his buddy, Norm Peterson, the beer loving heavyweight bar stool sitting perpetual patron.

Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #75
Executive Chef
Magazine The Beer Advocate

Buon Giorno,

Thanks for your recommendation on flavor notes in the above named magazine online version.

Quite interesting.

As I have studied wines quite thoroughly, the tasting notes, are always of great interest to me.

Kind regards.
Have nice wkend.
Ciao, Margi.
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
The more beer I drink, the less IQ i have, so it seems....
I have to agree. I am currently thinking to myself, "I just made a great supper, I couldn't possibly do that now."

And here is part of the reason:
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #77
Sous Chef
I'd say my beer IQ is average to above-average.
I'm mostly of the opinion that the best beer is free and/or the one in my hand these days though. I went through a microbrew beer snob phase once for a couple years, all high-and-mighty about microbrews and this that and the other before realizing it's not all that big of a deal to enjoy a "common" beer once sometimes too.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #78
Senior Cook
I like Yuengling Lager, Guiness, Bass Ale, Lionshead, Beck's, and Troeg's.

In college, I drank a lot of Milwaukee's Best Light, because it was really cheap.

danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote