What is your beer I.Q.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for pure taste and enjoyment, i like a bottle of st. paulie girl, dark. but for a workaday beer, busch beer fills my requirements for taste in an affordable, unpretentious clean flavored brew....

Last edited:
I confess I'm not a big beer drinker. A 6-pack usually lasts about a month in the fridge. There are a few I really like, though. Goose Island Honkers Ale is probably my all-time favorite. I also enjoy Fat Tire, Stella Artois, and Sam Adams from time-to-time.

Harry,

Some of the Beers I have had on one of my numerous trips to the UK, are:

Theakson Yorkshire Ale
Traquair Ale - Scotland
Samuel Smith - England
Bass Ale - England
Felinfoel - Welsh

Though PIMMS is not a Beer, in 1849 James Pimm concocted a gin blend, herbal and fruit liquor for his restaurants. Though not a beer, we had a few various varieties ...

To say good evening: John Gay from the Beggar´s Opera once said:
Fill every glass for wine inspires us and fires us with courage, love and joy ...

I am a wine drinker, though as previously mentioned I enjoy a beer depending on the cuisine I am dining on ... and I am open, however, it must be very chilled ...

Enjoy wkend, Ciao.
Margi.

I thought I would share our brew pub experience from last night.....
We went to a brew pub called Atomic Ale House, so named for the area we are visiting near the Hanford Nuclear Plant. All of the handcrafted beers and some of the food had names that reflected the area. The decor of the pub was reflective as well with some good historical photos and such. This town was originally built for the folks who built/worked at the nuclear plant. I started off with a Porter (I can't believe I didn't write those names down)! DH had their summer Hefeweizen that had been infused with Marionberries. (unusual) we ordered their special red potato soup made with Hefeweizen it was really tasty. For our main dish we ordered a thin crust hand tossed wood fired pizza. 1/2 was back bacon, sausage and bratwurst and the other half we ordered their special, bacon, pineapple and back bacon. Both with red sauce, they were excellent! DH ordered another beer, so I ordered the beer sampler which I missed the first time. It could have been a mistake as they brought 7 different beers in about 2-1/2 oz glasses. Here's what I tried:

Half-Life Hefeweizen
Atomic Amber
Plutonium Porter
Burkes Blonde (named for the brewmaster$
Oppenheimer Oatmeal Stout
International Proton Pale Ale
Backscatter Blackberry Wheat
I guess they weren't pulling "Rector Core Red"
DH had to help me finish and it was good thing we were walking back to our hotel ;-)

Let me see......hmmmmm
I was afraid of that...
Atomic Ale House....
2834 miles away.
Shucks! :mad:
Sounds like y'all had a great time!!
slider_beersmiley1.gif

Last edited:
Harry,

Some of the Beers I have had on one of my numerous trips to the UK, are:

Theakson Yorkshire Ale
Traquair Ale - Scotland
Samuel Smith - England
Bass Ale - England
Felinfoel - Welsh

, however, it must be very chilled ...

Enjoy wkend, Ciao.
Margi.

Every one of those beers would be better at 48-53F (9-13 celsius). The flavors are released as the beer warms, especially Traquair House (one of my favorite beers to brew)

A fun way to learn different beers is to buy a Saranac Trail Mix
6 pack. Each beer has a description of the characteristics and
flavors on the neck label!
I have found that most "microbrews" are good both slightly chilled
and really cold.... sometimes different flavor notes are accented
depending on the temperature.
My favorites are hoppy beers like IPAs, but i also enjoy stouts and
malty beers too.
Since I grew up drinking the cheap stuff, a nice cold Miller Lite or
Coors Light (or even Milwaukee's Best) still is appreciated.
(Score of the year: Saranac 12 packs of assorted ales and stouts
for $8.00 at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati! Got 3 cases.)

Hoot said:
Let me see......hmmmmm
I was afraid of that...
Atomic Ale House....
2834 miles away.
Shucks! :mad:
Sounds like y'all had a great time!!

Hoot we did have a good time. this is wine country, but they can make some beer! We stopped at another craft beer brew house today and had a yummy pale ale, the wine tour will have to wait for another trip. :).
I had trouble with a parse error when posting earlier so am adding my Atomic Ale pics now. Too bad you are so far away Hoot.....would have been pleased to treat you and Mrs hoot to a Washington State beer!

image-740121085.jpg

Attachments

• image-3513054999.jpg
    image-3513054999.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 181
Buon Giorno Niquejim,

I had tasted these beers at temperatures you have mentioned ... However, culturally, I am accustomed to really chilled beers ... Especially Mexican Black or Darks ...

I shall take your advice and try it, next time we have cuisine that pairs better with beer or ale ...

Pleased to hear that you brew beer !

Have a Lovely Sunday.
Ciao, Margi.

Hoot we did have a good time. this is wine country, but they can make some beer! We stopped at another craft beer brew house today and had a yummy pale ale, the wine tour will have to wait for another trip. :).
I had trouble with a parse error when posting earlier so am adding my Atomic Ale pics now. Too bad you are so far away Hoot.....would have been pleased to treat you and Mrs hoot to a Washington State beer!

View attachment 13877
Well..Thank ye, kindly!!
Mrs Hoot enjoys beer but she just ain't adventuresome when it comes to tryin' the unknown. We do thank y'all for the thought! Who knows.... I always had a hankerin' to lay these old eyes on the Pacific Ocean.
One of these days.....

A johnboat is a flat bottomed boat. It can be made from various materials. Mine is aluminum, 14 feet long. Looking at the map, I figger it might take me a few months to get that far. I can't paddle like I used to (I ain't as young as I used to be). I might need to find alternate transportation. :LOL:

A johnboat is a flat bottomed boat. It can be made from various materials. Mine is aluminum, 14 feet long. Looking at the map, I figger it might take me a few months to get that far. I can't paddle like I used to (I ain't as young as I used to be). I might need to find alternate transportation. :LOL:
ah hah,gotcha,like the boats they use in the everglades.saw them when i was staying with friends who live on the fringe of the 'glades & in "swamp people" on tv.hang on hoot,you live on the edge of a swamp,please tell me you don't wrassle 'gators....you'll have no bl**dy arms to paddle with let alone down a brewdog or twelve:ohmy::LOL:!

Gators ain't too common in these parts, although I keep hearing there is a gator in Merchant's Millpond down the road a piece, but I haven't been out there to see. I have eaten gator and it's pretty good. Likely farm raised though.
I reckon I won't be wrasslin' any gators. I can shoot center and I ain't gonna be caught without a gun if I go into gator country. :brows:

The quality of the Pilsner Urquell available in my area seems to have declined since it was taken over by SABMiller.
Duh, slap my self on the forhead. That is exactly what is going on, I could not figure out what was happening, thank you for pointing that out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom