What is your favourite cocktail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I love cocktails - not every day, but from time to time. I really enjoy the ritual watching an experienced barman display his showmanship as he prepares it - it makes it that much more special! My absolute favourite is a Negroni.

Originally devised for a well-known bon viveur, Count Camillo Negroni, it's a sophistacted cocktail - but go easy! it's quite alcoholic. I tasted my very first Negroni when I was in Rome with my parents, in 1967. We stayed at the Grand Hotel on the Via Veneto - Rome's glitterati hot spot, and our evening always started with a Negroni. Here's how to make it:

A crystal 9cl tumbler
ice
1/3 gin
1/3 Campari
1/3 Martini Rosso
ice
Orange peel and half a slice of orange.

Put the ice and the orange slice into the tumbler, then gin, Campari and Martini. Stir. Then take the piece of orange zest and, squeezing the zest between finger and thumb, you will see the orange oil on the surface. Stir once, and serve to your guests with a flourish. The flourish somehow makes your guests feel special! It's nice with canapès.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I don't have one favourite. Like so many ! Prefer vodka based cocktails and something sour added. Vodka, lime and and cranberry juice is delish.

I don't have one favourite. Like so many ! Prefer vodka based cocktails and something sour added. Vodka, lime and and cranberry juice is delish.
Snip, add some triple sec and you'll have a Cosmopolitan, one of my favorites! I also like a nice margarita, on the rocks, with salt. And Lemon Drops, yum.

Snip, add some triple sec and you'll have a Cosmopolitan, one of my favorites! I also like a nice margarita, on the rocks, with salt. And Lemon Drops, yum.

Love all of the above and another one I make myself with vodka, lime cordial and blue curacao shaken with ice. So yummy! Perhaps a good thing that I am not rich. Would live on cocktails lol.

I love cocktails - not every day, but from time to time. I really enjoy the ritual watching an experienced barman display his showmanship as he prepares it - it makes it that much more special! My absolute favourite is a Negroni.

Originally devised for a well-known bon viveur, Count Camillo Negroni, it's a sophistacted cocktail - but go easy! it's quite alcoholic. I tasted my very first Negroni when I was in Rome with my parents, in 1967. We stayed at the Grand Hotel on the Via Veneto - Rome's glitterati hot spot, and our evening always started with a Negroni. Here's how to make it:

A crystal 9cl tumbler
ice
1/3 gin
1/3 Campari
1/3 Martini Rosso
ice
Orange peel and half a slice of orange.

Put the ice and the orange slice into the tumbler, then gin, Campari and Martini. Stir. Then take the piece of orange zest and, squeezing the zest between finger and thumb, you will see the orange oil on the surface. Stir once, and serve to your guests with a flourish. The flourish somehow makes your guests feel special! It's nice with canapès.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

No matter how many times I've tried it, I just can't get around that bitter, cough medicine taste.:(

I'm more of a rum & coke (diet, because I can't take the sugary taste of real coke) guy. Beer is also more my style. A Planters Punch every now and then is a great break away.;)

Last edited:
Vodka does have a taste. I have a very sensitive palate. I like some brandies and whiskey as well. Just not gin. If you want a neutral spirit to get drunk on I would say cane.

I'm a wine drinker, first and foremost, but I do like an occasional cocktail. For years I drank Gin & Tonics or Brandy Old Fashioneds (a Wisconsin thing, or so I'm told).

Over the holiday period last year, I was reintroduced to White Russians. For a while it became my drink of choice when going out for cocktails with friends. Soon, those friends began calling me "Dude," after the Jeff Bridges character in "The Big Lebowski," who enjoys his White Russians. It probably doesn't help that, like that character, I also have a bushy salt and pepper beard and look a little like an aging hippie. ;)

Lately, I've had to taper off on them because, while tasty, they definitely contribute to an expanding waistline.

TheDude_WhiteRussian.jpg

I'm generally a white wine kinda gal, but for the occasional cocktail I prefer Gin, Rum or Bourbon. I really detest Scotch and Tequilla. Shudder....:w00t2:

I guess my favorite is the old fashioned "Old Fashion". I like the Angostura bitters in it.

I am a gin, tequila, and scotch whiskey guy when it comes to my cocktails so my favorites are the martini, margarita, old fashioned, gin fizz, whiskey sour, Manhattan, vesper martini, tequila sunrise, and Tom Collins lol just to name a few :)

I enjoy wine and good wine ..

And it is common living in the Mediterranean to have a glass or 2 with lunch and dinner .. At this time of year, I particulary like Rosés or Provençal Blushes, Cava and Prosecco or when in France, Champagne ..

Cocktails: Campari, a splash of Gin & Club Soda with a slice of lemon ..

I also enjoy a Bio naturally made boutique small produced Gin called "Mare" from Minorca with a splash of Tonic ..

I had a marvelous Mojito, one evening with Cuban Rum .. It was very refreshing ..

I am not a grand enthisast of anything too too sweet ..

Depends where I am and the season ..

Have a lovely day ..
Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
I enjoy wine and good wine ..

And it is common living in the Mediterranean to have a glass or 2 with lunch and dinner .. At this time of year, I particulary like Rosés or Provençal Blushes, Cava and Prosecco or when in France, Champagne ..

Cocktails: Campari, a splash of Gin & Club Soda with a slice of lemon ..

I also enjoy a Bio naturally made boutique small produced Gin called "Mare" from Minorca with a splash of Tonic ..

I had a marvelous Mojito, one evening with Cuban Rum .. It was very refreshing ..

I am not a grand enthisast of anything too too sweet ..

Depends where I am and the season ..

Have a lovely day ..
Thank you for posting.
I also love wines and champagnes. I am in France and Hungary yearly so I drink my fair share of the good stuff. Still, I am completely ignorant when it comes to fine wines and I always appreciate a good recommendation if you have any.

I love Campari, but I don't use it in mixed drinks. For me, an on-the-rocks glass with one ice cube, enough Campari to cover, and a little squirt of fresh lime (drop the lime into the glass after squeezine) is a perfect way to relax on a hot day.

For a mixed drink, Himself and I enjoy a decadent Painkiller on occasion. We've adjusted the ingredients list a bit to more closely resemble the version we enjoy at Bahama Breeze restaurants, but we think it goes down very smooooothly. An equally delicious mixed drink, and much easier to put together, is a Dark and Stormy.

And now after talking drinks and liquors, I'm more in the mood for day-drinking than my necessary grocery shopping...in the rain. Shop now, maybe drink later. :LOL:

Neither DH nor myself are drinkers, well, I do have my glass (or three) of dry White Wine in the evening and the odd lunch out.
Now, if we're out having Italian food, I order a glass of Sangiovese or Chianti. As far as for cocktails, I use to drink Vodka. I'd mix it with grapefruit juice, Cranberry Juice or Collins mix.
Most recently though Mrs. Dear Friend has gotten me hooked on a good Margarita. There's this Mexican Restaurant in our quad-city area that makes a mean Skinny Rita with all fresh ingredients, no sugar, shaken-no salt please, served in a large Martini glass.
I want to try a Mojito.

I usually don't have Margaritas when I'm out, because I don't like "Margarita mix". We do have them frequently at home and we don't add any sugar. I also like a dry, gin martini, a brandy Alexander, a rusty nail, and loads of other cocktails, but tend towards the ones that aren't sweet. I once tried an experiment. A rusty nail is Scotch whisky and Drambuie, which is a liqueur based on Scotch. So, I figured I would try bourbon and Southern Comfort, which is a liqueur based on bourbon whiskey. Oh my! That was hideous. I later found out that it's called a diesel, a very appropriate name.

I don't think I've ever had a margarita made with sugar. The restaurant where I order it doesn't use margarita mix. They specialize in tequila - you can get a flight for tasting - so they make them from all fresh ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom