What is your vodka of choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They did a story about this on 20/20 last season. They asked a lot of people what their favorite vodkas were. Most of them said Grey Goose, and quite a few said some of the other higher priced vodkas. Then they did a blind taste test with these same people. Most of them liked the less expensive ones just as well, and most of the people who said they prefered Grey Goose liked it least in the taste test. What this particular 20/20 was about was how we allow our perceptions of things affect what we think we like. Marketing people know this, and that is why a lot of vodka (and other drinks) bottles are actually designed by architects.

There were some other interesting things in that study. They gave people yogurt that had no strawberries in it (I think it had chocolate, but I know there were no berries of any kind), but was given to them in cartons that were labeled strawberry yogurt. They were asked which had the better strawberry flavor. They definitely tasted strawberry in the yogurt. They expected it, so they tasted it.

;) Barbara

I did not see that 20/20 episode, but I have seen at least two other vodka studies like that Barbara and both of them came to the same conclusion that your 20/20 story did. Grey Goose was the vodka of choice before the test, but after it was in last place. I think Absolute came in first after the blind taste tests for most people.

I would be interested in trying that test myself. I am fairly confident that I would still pick GG, but then again that is what most of the test subjects said as well.

There was another thing I have seen (online) where they take a cheap vodka and run it through a Brita filter about 5 times. After the filtration process, supposedly the cheap vodka was as good as a premium vodka.

There was another thing I have seen (online) where they take a cheap vodka and run it through a Brita filter about 5 times. After the filtration process, supposedly the cheap vodka was as good as a premium vodka.

That was on an episode of Mythbusters. I think they pronounced it busted. If I recal, they found some merit to it, but for the cost and effort you could have bought the top shelf stuff.

When they did a blind taste test, a professional taster still picked out the good stuff from the filtered vodka.

John

If I remember correctly, and i very possibly do not, they said it was plausible, but said it would take too long. I think they said if you could take some PVC piping and put the five filters in line and have it tall enough that you could just pour the bottle in once and let it filter all at once then it might be kind of worth it maybe possibly.

Of course I could just be making that all up. you never know.

Vodka in the cheap - but OK

Any vodka that is charcoal filtered. I save my fancy money for Scotch and Rye and Bourbon. ;)

100 proof - is 25% more alcohol than 80 proof and not 25% more expensive.

Just be sure that the vodka is charcoal filtered. The stuff I buy in our ABC store claims it is twice charcoal filtered. Tastes fine with diet tonic.

There are lots of pretty decent beer recipes and ingredients on the web. Wine too. Legal and can be very good if you have the time.

I can't stand Grey Goose. The nose is strongly reminiscent of moth balls, to me. I love Skyy vodka, personally. The plain and citrus versions.

I never drink any of it straight.

I like Grey Goose, Belvedere or Ketel One in a vodka martini or a sake-tini .

I don't care what brand of vodka is in a Bloody Mary, Cape Codder, or Sea Breeze.

Lee

Free! I don't drink vodka unless it's offered as a drink. I'm 43 and have never had a martini and the only vodka I drink that I pay for is in Purple Hooter Shooters and an occasional bloody mary (maybe all of six in 10 years). But if it's free I'll drink it. I drank a lot of Schmirnoff and Red Bull three or four New Years' ago.

Back
Top Bottom