"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

for whites, pinot grigio delle venezie here too! i've tried a few other whites, but they weren't the same imo.

for red, the selection is wider depending on the dish. sometimes you want fruit and acid on the light side, so a young beaujolais works. other dishes require a hearty burgundy or dry chianti.

and i almost never spend more than 7 or 8 bucks on the bottle if i'm using half or all of it for cooking.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #22
Head Chef

I use Julia Childs' good ole white vermouth. Sometimes pinot grigio if I have a bottle open.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I do not use expensive for cooking either - and usually stick to chardonnay. I am a red wine drinker - I have never thought of wine in the box.

What I have found, though, is individual bottles of wine - and on sale, they are only $1! They measure out to be 1 cup exactly. I can't remember the brands, sutter home is one, they are brands you would recognize. Have any of you ever used these?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Usually, quality in white wines is not so important in cooking, except that for dishes in which the wine is raw over the food, as champagne risotto, f.i.
So, I use cheap wines, usually.
It's in some way different for red wines. The taste that remaines after you have cooked is very different between one and another, so may be correct to spend some money more for a good wine. I can't do a comparison about prices, but here an all-day wine is from 2 to 4 euro a bottle, a decent wine is about 8-10 euro and a really good wine is about 15-20, or more. (The limit is the sky, we say....)
Ok, to cook with a decent wine I can spend....let'say...10 euros? 12? (of course, if I use just a bit of wine, I use the same I'll drink with the food)
Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't drink wine, but I love to marinate my chicken in sherry (dry or cream, but never cooking sherry), along with some parsley, then oven roast it or cook it in my rotisserie oven. I do game hens the same way. It is SO good!

Barbara
Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
aaaaaaaaaaa!! mm, friends don't let friends drink sutter home. that stuff is awful, something about their bulk-tank fermentation gives every one of their wines a particularly nasty ethanol/methanol harsh aftertaste.

my rule of thumb is that if i wouldn't enjoy drinking it, i won't cook with it. probably, in part, because i'm sipping on that first glass *while* cooking. but also, if you cook with what you plan on serving with the meal, the food and wine are magically matched up just perfect.

red wines tend to be in heavy sauces, like marinara, so careful selection of exactly what type not so important, and the same decent middle-of-the-road red could be used in everything from pasta to steak marinade. white wines, though, i find dramatic differences in using a riesling vs a pinot grigio in the same chicken recipe. sydfan, just try experimenting in broad sweeps, like using a sweet wine one time and a drier one the next, until you find what you like best.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Fireweaver, thanks for the info on sutter home. i don't normally drink white, so i just open and dump. Maybe I should be more careful on choosing a brand.

Now.....red wine is a different story. RDG - didn't know that about red wine - interesting. Usually I open a big bottle of red wine (750 ml) so I can, as some have said here, partake first then share with this dish!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
wow i have never thought of using boxed wines! what a great idea.

i usualy use pino griego when i need a white wine, and sometimes chardoney. i end up getting the $2 buck chuck at trader joe's and that works just fine for me.

i drink a lot of red wine mostly barberra, or barolo's, so i'll use those when i need a red wine since i always have an open bottle on hand. ;-)
Old 03-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Fireweaver, this is an interesting point of wew... You consider the white wines more characterizing than red ones...Interestin, true. Can you explain better? TIA.

"my rule of thumb is that if i wouldn't enjoy drinking it, i won't cook with it" This is, normally, the correct position. But sometimes, this happens to be a little...expensive I say... Next year I'be sixty, and I have in mind to open a particular bottle I have. A wonderful Barolo 1976 of a particular good cellar. I'll drink it with a couple of friends, an no else. I think we'll eat just some bites of something, together, but this is because I want appreciate the wine. And to cook with a bottle of 250 is a little too much. Even to drink, but, once in a life.... ( I don't think to arrive 120....). Surely it's a fault of mine's, but I find enormous differences between different red wines, over all in the very old ones, and I dont feel nothing particular in the whites. Of course they have, but non so important, if you understand what I mean....
Old 03-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #30
Master Chef

I love to cook with nice dry Reislings. Alsatian chicken comes to mind. Mmmmm.

Remember that you can FREEZE LEFTOVER WINE. So it really never has to go to waste. Portion it and put it in a ziplock. It won't freeze solid but will get slushy. Thaw it completely and it'll be good for cooking.