"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The barrels help color it. It is clear, when first made.

You see and learn all this on the tours they give at the distillery. If you ask for tour guides Sammy or David Roper. They are quite some characters. I probably got a picture or two of David around somewhere.

This is David in the overalls.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Funny I found this post because I know a thing or two about Bourbon Whiskey.

To be considered a bourbon there are rules.

Bourbon cannot be blended with other batches of the same whiskey, only with limestone filtered water to make 'proof'. This is why Jack Daniels is not a bourbon but just a 'sour mash whiskey'. All Bourbon whiskey are sour mash but not all sour mash whiskey is bourbon. Jack Daniels mixes batches to maintain a flavor consistency. True bourbons will vary in flavor depending on the heat of the summer and cold of the winter where ever they are stored while aging and how long they are aged.

Bourbons are made mostly from corm although I have first hand experience that they do use some rice in the recipe. Cheaper Whiskies use lots more rice than corn.

Bourbon must be aged in a charred oak barrel and usually bunged with popular.

Most or possibly all corn whiskeys are charcoal filtered to remove an oil that is created in the whiskey that could be dangerous if ingested.

You can not use a bourbon barrel more than one time to age whiskey.

All bourbons are not made in Kentucky although many of them are, in Bourbon County near Bardstown KY. The state sits on a limestone slab which offers a perfect water supply.

It has been a couple of years since visiting the distilleries in Ky but these factoids are what I was told. I was told by the Distillers at Wild Turkey that the old barrel where sent to Scotland to make Scotch. I have no proof of this and he may have been pulling my leg.

There is also some history with how it is spelled - Whiskey or Whisky but my memory fails me.

Hope this helps clear up things a little,
Bryan

Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

yep, Jack Daniels does the same with their barrels. After the whisky has been bottled, they send the used barrels to the scotch makers, make furniture, or wood chunks from the barrels.

The wood chunks are great to use grilling and smoking. Has a faint JD taste. We love to use the chunks on steaks and hamburgers.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine
The wood chunks are great to use grilling and smoking. Has a faint JD taste. We love to use the chunks on steaks and hamburgers.

Where do you get them? Probably not available up here, eh?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

You will probably have to call the General store in Lynchburg TN. Make sure they know it is the chunks, and not the chips.

They were given to all the teams competing in the contest, when we were there.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to nytxn Send a message via MSN to nytxn
I think I've seen the chunks in Walmart and the local grocery store near the grilling stuff. I could be wrong.

I have a bag of JD chips at home, but not the chunks.

Ron
aka: nytxn
nytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

I see the chips on the internet but maybe I'll call the store and see about chunks.

Tnx!