What's Fermenting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ronjohn55 said:
Actually, the safety part isn't just about the cuts. After all, distilling will not create any more, or any less of a substance that is not already IN the mash you are heating..

The safety issues also stem from 1) People thinking they can clean out a used raditor to use as a condenser, and 2) How to put this delicately.... Having someone who would qualify as a "not so bright bulb" working with alcohol vapors and open flames..... :mrgreen:

Here in the states, most times I read about an unlicensed distilling operation (home, bootleg, etc.) getting busted, it's usually because the police are there investigating an explosion.

John

Yeah - but why should we be legislating peoples stupidity? Let the idiots kill themselves... Or is that too harsh?
My still has 3 electric elements to take care of the explosion problem :chef: I didn't want to risk an explosion even though with proper precautions and distilling correctly you'll be fine.

And people use car radiators? Never heard of that before! Copper Tube isn't that expensive! Bloody lazy dumb people ruining it for everyone. Over here the cops don't seem to mind as long as we aren't selling it. Australia has a website and forum set up for it so if the cops really didn't like it they could bust a load of us easily :pig:

I have a 5 Litre Biochemical "soup" fermenting at the moment, it`s simply water glucose and all the required nutrients with a little yeast and nothing else.
the plan isn`t to drink the Alcohol, but rather to breed the yeast and hopefully get plenty of it.
from there I`m going to Try to make Yeast Extract like Marmite/Vegamite.
the alc is just the waste product and I no intention of doing this: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/still.jpg with it :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom