What's in Your Eggnog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
How do you make your G-rated eggnog X-rated? Personally, I like rum in mine. But, I wouldn't run from eggnog spiked with vodka, brandy, or bourbon, either!

What about you?

My favortie, is rum, but my favorite holiday drink is a tom and jerry with cream and the best brandy topped with fresh ground nutmeg..
kadesma:-p

kadesma said:
My favortie, is rum, but my favorite holiday drink is a tom and jerry with cream and the best brandy topped with fresh ground nutmeg..
kadesma:-p

It's just cream and brandy??? mm mm, sounds like dessert!

SizzlininIN said:
In all my 40 years I still have yet to taste this stuff..............maybe this will be the year.

It's very thick and sweet if you buy it ready made in a store. Never having made it from scratch, I understand homemade is thinner. Either way, it's wonderful but surely could use a hand from a friendly rum bottle.

VeraBlue said:
It's just cream and brandy??? mm mm, sounds like dessert!
Vera, yes he used cream, he would mix eggs,bar sugar, beat it til it was smooth as glass, then add the hot cream pouring it into and over the batter in hot heavy cups, then we stir in a jigger of brandy.
kadesma

If I make homemade eggnog, I use good brandy. I think the store bought overwhelms the brandy, so I then go with bourbon or rum.

Rye whiskey, brandy and light rum. That's for the homemade stuff. If I buy a carton of the stuff at the store I like to add Capt. Morgan's spiced rum.

Fraidy

Educator's Eggnog

I think you'll enjoy this recipe.

1 dozen eggs
1 quart whip cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup brandy

Separate egg yolks and whites. Whip egg whites until stiff. Add 3/4 cup of sugar to yolks and beat.

Combine yolks and whites. Add bourbon to egg mixture.

Whip cream.

Fold whipped cream alternately to egg mixture with brandy and rum.

Optional:
Sprinkle individual servings with nutmeg.

You can add 1/2 gin, if you wish, but I don't think it's necessary

Used to love to make our own eggnog, before the Salmonella ado.

Would make a giant punch bowl on Christmas eve, and keep it filled.

Now most folks don't want to know about raw eggs.

So these days, sadly, just buy it in the store. Have a pretty good one available here, but not as good as the homemade.

Usually drink it without booze because it is so good, I tend to overuse it a bit when it is laced. Like a good Bloody Mary mix.

Will add cognac, a mild bourbon, but rarely a rum, am not a fan of rum.

Have never had one I liked, and have tried most of the readily available brands. Just a personal preference.

Enjoy.

VeraBlue said:
It's very thick and sweet if you buy it ready made in a store. Never having made it from scratch, I understand homemade is thinner. Either way, it's wonderful but surely could use a hand from a friendly rum bottle.

My home made isn't thinner. You fold in the egg whites and it's lighter, but not thinner. Here's my favorite recipe for holiday eggnog:

CHRISTMAS EGGNOG

8 extra large eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup Cognac (I suggest using "good stuff," but not too good)
1/2 cup heavy cream
nutmeg

Put egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and lemon-colored.

Gradually add the Cognac, beating on low.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.

In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until stiff but not dry. Fold into eggnog.

Serve in goblets with fresh nutmeg grated on top.

Chefjune, Yours is almost identical to mine, except I add an extra 1/4 C each of Cognac and cream. I suspect yours will hold it's body longer, but I've never had it last that long! :angel:

ChefJune said:
My home made isn't thinner. You fold in the egg whites and it's lighter, but not thinner. Here's my favorite recipe for holiday eggnog:

CHRISTMAS EGGNOG

8 extra large eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup Cognac (I suggest using "good stuff," but not too good)
1/2 cup heavy cream
nutmeg

Put egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and lemon-colored.

Gradually add the Cognac, beating on low.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.

In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until stiff but not dry. Fold into eggnog.

Serve in goblets with fresh nutmeg grated on top.

Thanks! You're right, lighter is a much better adjective for what I was thinking. I think I'm going to follow your recipe for Christmas Eve. I would consider a refrigerator shelf life of three days for this....would you agree?

Back
Top Bottom