"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Mackeson is my favorite.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #32
Head Chef

Mackeson! Isn't that the stuff only sold in the Whitbred Pub? I've had some -- completely redefines the term "stout"!

Welcome, by the way. Heck of an entrance there!

Old 10-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I like Corona...with a lime wedge please, and some chips and guacamole or anything Mexican.

:D

It's lunch time...I'm hungry!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:34 PM   #34

Pity to read the entire column without a single reference to Canadian beer...

With our 5-7% alcohol content, ours tstes quite different from USA brands, even if Bud and Coors (locally known as "Girl's Light", or worse, "Queer's Light", but I digress) have been licensed over to Labatts and Molsons, the two brewing giants of the North...

The third largest makes about the best, in my own opinion, that being Sleemans Brewery of Guelph, using the local natural spring water in the process...

Most North American brews are aimed at "Joe Six Pack", who will consume any number, and whose first taste determines brand loyalty for life...and "tastes less filling" is a subconcious twist that you should drink more than just one...or two...you get the point...

Sleemans runs counter to this, their various ales and excellent lagers make you feel relatively "full"...

They make a honey brown lager and a dark beer besides...

The Sleeman family logo was "borrowed" by the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) back in the 1800's, and remains in use, amicably, by both to this day...

You can get this easily in Ontario and British Columbia, less easily in other provinces, but if any of you manage to travel to the Great White North, it'd be worth your while to give it a try!

There's only so much water in those springs, so I must doubt it will ever go broad band in marketing, and we Canucks are a little fussy on sending the "good" water south of the line, so you'll have to come up here to try it out...

On that note we also have a Vodka that is, obviously, pure grain alcohol mixed with glacial water from icebergs, which the millenia has leached the salts from (a curious thing, the Inuit have about 50 words to describe the various qualities of ice; the salt free stuff is sort of a blue colour)(and is water formed hundreds of thousands of years ago)...
Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 AM   #35
Head Chef

Yuengling or Sam Adams. :)
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, fair enuff lifter, but how many beaches ya gott??????????? huh? i'll take an impoted kootenay while i bask in the forida sun.....

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:53 PM   #37

A quick look at the map, Buckytom, will show you that we have more lakes, rivers and coastline space than any other nation on earth... the beach where we holiday (check out www.hawk-lake.com) (we have a number of family cottages there, great source for new recipes and trying them out on each other!) is pure quartz sand...but I kinda prefer the dock, a cold beer, a book, a fishing rod, a bobber and live bait, waiting for the smallmouth, Lake Trout or Northern Pike, according to season (my Dad was fishing like this and caught a 13.5 and a 14.5 lb pike ther this summer, in much this fashion)

Try THAT, if you will, on a USA beach!

LOL!

Lifter
Old 10-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

so when are you inviting us up, lifter? i love canada, and canadians. i love fresh water fishing, and i love canadian beer. holy poopie did i find out the hard way that it has a higher alcohol content. i'm usually good for about 6 or 8 imperial pints of bass ale or guinness to get my sails set, but i pounded a few cold ones of something called black tusk ale, i don't know who was the brewer, in whistler/blackcomb once. i was demolished. could hardly ski the next day...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #39

I think its our foreign policy that US$ are always welcome!

You might find it easier to access Bras D'Or beer from Quebec, that'll give you a pretty good kick in the head with either 6% or 6.5% alcohol content...aside from which, its pretty good beer!

If you are big on skiing, you might want to try western Newfoundland, incredibly cheap, incredible snow, and a lot closer to NJ and NY, with all sorts of truly weird and wonderful local recipes...

Lifter
Old 10-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #40
Certified Executive Chef

You will probably now know this brand as it is made in Bend, Oregon by the Deschutes Brewing Company and it is a micro brew named Mirror Pond and it is a ale, similar to Corona but better. There is another one which I cannot find in a bottle made by a local restaurant chain simply called Ruby and it is another ale seasoned with raspberries. They also use it to make the most wonderful cheesecake.