"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's your favourite gin?

Hi everyone,

I've been a gin lover for ages so I thought I would see if you have any recommendations. Here are mine:

My number one gin which has stayed at my top spot for the last 5 years is Citadel Gin. It is from Spain and comes in a beautiful blue bottle. It's made with orange peel and cinnamon which really come through when served with good tonic (Fever-tree obviously). I was served it at a hotel in Barcelona and it has been my favourite ever since. It is priced at just over £30 ($39) which I think is the maximum you should have to pay for gin.

My joint second favourites are 6 o'clock gin and Silent Pool. 6 o'clock is from Bristol and is actually very similar in many ways to Citadel and about the same price. I find that anything that has orange peel in the ingredients is usually very nice. Silent Pool seems to be very popular here in the UK at the moment, and for good reason. It is beautifully light with a subtle sweet flavour to it that, I find lends its self to summer evenings in the garden. I hope it has made it's way across the pond for my American friends on here. If not then make sure you get some if you visit the UK.

But my 'go to' gin which is half the price of these and you just can not go wrong with is the good old Beefeater. It is delicious, available almost everywhere and very reasonably priced at £15 ($19). They have also recently brought out a strawberry version which is absolutely out of this world; provided you like strawberries, and who doesn't?!!

Also good are: Brokers, Little Bird, Warner Edwards and King of Soho.

I hope everyone finds this helpful

Scott-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Head Chef

Edinburgh gin, they had one last year that didnt use citrus peel in the process, I am allergic to the oil of citrus peel, so gin gives me hives.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Edinburgh gin, they had one last year that didnt use citrus peel in the process, I am allergic to the oil of citrus peel, so gin gives me hives.
Ah, probably not a good idea to follow my recommendations then. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you having a reaction!
Scott-180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Master Chef

I rather like Bombay Sapphire but there is a bar near me that claims to sell 80 different varieties of gin. You name a flavour, they have a gin with it.

Whilst I enjoy the occasional G&T I limit my consumption to one, or at most, two pub-sized measures an evening, otherwise I'd be under the table weeping into my glass. I find gin very depressing!

Incidentally, if you happen to be in Menorca, try a local gin. Quite interesting. There are several brands but beware the bottles in night clubs as they don't always contain what the label says! We were there for a few years and I'm trying to spring clean the attic of my mind to remember the name of the gin we liked best. Oddly enough, I didn't find Menorcan gin depressing.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used to prefer Tanqueray, but I no longer imbibe.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Cook

St. George is my favorite but I drink Kirkland Gin by the gallon. I need to stop buying it.
Smokeydoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I used to prefer Tanqueray, but I no longer imbibe.
Thanks, OF for the correct spelling. Now I don't have to look it up.

That's my favorite too. Usually just in gin and tonics and usually just in the warm weather.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Executive Chef

The mention of Tanqueray brings back fond memories of Sunday morning gin mary's.... We thought it was a cure for the previous nights partying..

It wasn't of course but, it was fun..

I both miss and rue those days..

Ross
Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

None!

CD
Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

Greenhook, by far. But its hard to find in Boston.

Second place is Bombay Sapphire