What's your favourite gin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott-180

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I've been a gin lover for ages so I thought I would see if you have any recommendations. Here are mine:

My number one gin which has stayed at my top spot for the last 5 years is Citadel Gin. It is from Spain and comes in a beautiful blue bottle. It's made with orange peel and cinnamon which really come through when served with good tonic (Fever-tree obviously). I was served it at a hotel in Barcelona and it has been my favourite ever since. It is priced at just over £30 ($39) which I think is the maximum you should have to pay for gin.

My joint second favourites are 6 o'clock gin and Silent Pool. 6 o'clock is from Bristol and is actually very similar in many ways to Citadel and about the same price. I find that anything that has orange peel in the ingredients is usually very nice. Silent Pool seems to be very popular here in the UK at the moment, and for good reason. It is beautifully light with a subtle sweet flavour to it that, I find lends its self to summer evenings in the garden. I hope it has made it's way across the pond for my American friends on here. If not then make sure you get some if you visit the UK.

But my 'go to' gin which is half the price of these and you just can not go wrong with is the good old Beefeater. It is delicious, available almost everywhere and very reasonably priced at £15 ($19). They have also recently brought out a strawberry version which is absolutely out of this world; provided you like strawberries, and who doesn't?!!

Also good are: Brokers, Little Bird, Warner Edwards and King of Soho.

I hope everyone finds this helpful :)

Last edited:
Edinburgh gin, they had one last year that didnt use citrus peel in the process, I am allergic to the oil of citrus peel, so gin gives me hives.

Edinburgh gin, they had one last year that didnt use citrus peel in the process, I am allergic to the oil of citrus peel, so gin gives me hives.

Ah, probably not a good idea to follow my recommendations then. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you having a reaction! :(

I rather like Bombay Sapphire but there is a bar near me that claims to sell 80 different varieties of gin. You name a flavour, they have a gin with it.

Whilst I enjoy the occasional G&T I limit my consumption to one, or at most, two pub-sized measures an evening, otherwise I'd be under the table weeping into my glass. I find gin very depressing!

Incidentally, if you happen to be in Menorca, try a local gin. Quite interesting. There are several brands but beware the bottles in night clubs as they don't always contain what the label says! We were there for a few years and I'm trying to spring clean the attic of my mind to remember the name of the gin we liked best. Oddly enough, I didn't find Menorcan gin depressing.

Last edited:
The mention of Tanqueray brings back fond memories of Sunday morning gin mary's.... We thought it was a cure for the previous nights partying..

It wasn't of course but, it was fun.. ;)

I both miss and rue those days.. :wacko:

Ross

Greenhook, by far. But its hard to find in Boston.

Second place is Bombay Sapphire

0becaa65d0e74c0d4d627092fbca307febab95b6_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I rarely drink anything except white wine, but the mention of a good spicy Tanqueray Bloody Mary has me thinking this morning. The food in them is fun too.

I’ve never been a gin drinker. The only gin cocktail I ever really enjoyed was called an “orange blossom,” basically a screwdriver with gin instead of vodka.

I must say though, a Bloody Mary made with gin sounds very tempting. Needs a new name, though. A tequila Bloody Mary is a Bloody Maria.

Oh I had blood Mary with tequila named sangriento maria ( I am not sure of the spelling) and with gin, it called Bloody Molly and one with rum called Bloody Polly ( Polly is Victorian nickname for Mary).

Oh I had blood Mary with tequila named sangriento maria ( I am not sure of the spelling) and with gin, it called Bloody Molly and one with rum called Bloody Polly ( Polly is Victorian nickname for Mary).
I never really got why a vodka and Clamato is called a Bloody Caesar. Did one of the Caesars like clam juice?

Do any of you cook with gin? I googled it; there are a few recipes that caught my eye. Gin and grapefruit granita topped oysters, and gin marinated wings were two that really made me sit up and go hmmmmm...

Love to hear some of your ideas and/or successes!

Oh and Dead parrot is a bloody mary with rum with ghost pepper, at least at this summer bar.

I'm not a big gin drinker, so I haven't tried many. I like Bombay Sapphire. I'm not too picky about which gin goes in a dry martini. The gin bloody Mary sounds interesting. I don't drink g&t, because I detest tonic. It's bitter AND too sweet for my taste.

I have my gin with lemon cubes from my squeezed lemons from my trees. And water. Gotta watch the calories,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom