What's your wine budget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlpineOeno

Assistant Cook
So, I was in a discussion with a friend tonight and I need a little "market research" to decide a disagreement we were having? If you would be so kind, I have two questions to poll.

1. What is the average price you pay for your everyday wine?

2. What is the most you have ever paid for a bottle of wine? (and, what was it.......just for some extra fun)

I will tell you what the discussion was about tomorrow because i don't want to influence the results.

Average purchase $9-15 per bottle, $Cdn funds, based on standard 750 ml bottle, again depending if its a Cdn or off shore product..

Most paid is more difficult to recall!

Maybe about $25 $Cdn in '73 for a really, really good bottle of Mumm's in Rheims...

A "split" of Veuve Cliquot a year ago New Years was $28 $Cdn, now up to $31 $Cdn....(bought it a year ago, settled on a very nice local this year, yes the French was much drier and "snappier", but did my "world" revolve around the wine...NO!

Lifter

(PS Look forward to your followup, and no I've not "cheated" by looking for other responses!)

Wine Budget? Don't have one.... :shock:

Probably $15-$30 range per bottle

Most, I dunno, $70 or so?

John

How much does wine cost in the States now?

We pay around 4.00 euro's for everyday wine and 6 or 7 for company. The cheap wine is also very drinkable.

You could substitute euro for dollar

We have a bottle of 15 euro wine that was given to us by our son. We are saving it for a special occasion.
Pam

Hi Pam,

Well, wine here in the US can range from the (in)famous "two buck Chuck" (Which I've only seen for three dollars - doesn't make sense!!) and it goes up as high as you like from there.

The "average" table/drinking wine is probably in the $10-$20 range per bottle.

John

i spend about $7 to $10 USD for myself at home, $15 if dw's drinkin it with me at home, $20 for byo restaurants, and $20 to $40 in the restaurant.
the most i've ever spent was on a bottle of champagne as a gift for the person who got me my job. it was about $200 for a decorated (hand painted) bottle of tattingers.

Generally I pay $5 (Sutter Home) to $25 (Mondavi Cab 2002)

Restaurants: it varies, depending on the mood - I prefer to bring my own and pay the corkage fee. (Because they jack up the prices so furiously!)

Most paid - maybe $32 for wine, but I know that my husband bought some Dom Perignon when our old dog knocked over my crystal vase....

SORRY, SORRY, SOOOY to all. I had a hectic few days at work, and didn't have time to give part two, but here it is...

So, a little background on the two of us who were having the conversation. We are best friends, who have wine cellars that we have combined and become buying partners. I have been in the wine industry until recently, and my friend still is. We both are avid oenophiles, or as i like to speak in plain english, we're wine geeks. The only place we differ is that i strive to take any hint of snobbery out of the wine world and my friends one achilles heel is that he is a bonafide wine snob. Ok, that is enough of a rant to give you the picture.

Our argument consisted of his opinion that if you had developed your pallet and had been introduced to "fine" wines (lets say $50+ just to pick a random number) that you would need to spend at least $25-30 on your daily drinker, or your mouth would revolt. I on the other hand claimed he was crazy, and proposed that a developed pallet enables you to find those great wines under $10 that are truly outstanding among the multitude in that price range that are better left for vinegar production. We agreed to disagree, and i felt the need to pose the question as i did.

To answer my own question, my everyday drinkers are mindblowing wines that average a mere $6-$9. As for the most i've ever paid, that gets tricky. I haven't purchased much at retail prices in quite a while. At the ripe old age of 25 I'm sitting on a cellar bulging at about 2500 bottles, the most expensive probablt topping out at about $1500. I have had the very fortunate opportunity to taste a few wines that would probably retail at about $5000. And, yes, after all that the $6 bottle still tastes like some damn good juice!!!

AlpineOeno,

Interesting conversation. My husband's best friend is a wine collector. He rents space in a wine cellar. He always has something nice to share when we are visiting. He is not a snob. When he visits here he also enjoys our wine.

We don't spend a lot of money on wine because we don't want to. You CAN buy inexpensive wine that is nice.

If wine is your hobby or your passion, go for it. There are inexpensive wines that I consider plonk. It really is a matter of taste. It all goes back to the supertaster theory. Perhaps your friend has super taste buds?

Pam

We follow the famous wine axiom - "Like what you drink, Drink what you like". If I like that $12 bottle of Michigan Chardonay, then that's what I'll stock up on.

Of course, beeing homebrewers and vinters, we also never pass up an opportunity to try something new..

(As a side note - I held out the 'home vinted' wines from the pricing discussion, since I have the cost of those down at about $3 - not bad for a 6 gallon production scale...)

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom