Whew.. bourbon should almost be illegal..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I seldom drink enough at home to catch buzz.. Tonight was an exception.

I am definitely buzzing... all from bourbon... I have been taste testing different bourbons( I love good bourbon).

All I can say if you haven't tried the various bourbons you haven't experienced the wonderful and varied flavors(thank goodness for spell check tonight!!)...

I had 3 partial bottles of different types..Jim Beam black label, Makers Mark(always a favorite) and Walthens... a single barrel special...

The beam black label... Very nice, good edge to it, perhaps a bit sweet at times...

Makers Mark.. as always, nicely smoky, not too sweet, very smooth.

Walthens... interesting. Not my favorite single barrel unblended but still very nice. It has a unique edge to it, but lacks a bit of depth.

If you haven't tried single barrel unblended bourbons.. You should give a few different ones a try. Totally different drinks than blended bourbons or other whiskies....

:)I have detected a slight vanilla flavor to the Makers Mark.
Wait for Uncle Bob he knows a thing or two about bourbon:angel:.

Since we live in Kentucky, well, we HAVE to drink bourbon. It's a tough job, but someone has to to it.:rolleyes:

We like Maker's Mark, but you might try Woodford Reserve, too.

Love bourbon. As a matter of fact, Buck and I are going to have some mint juleps at cocktail time today.

Since we live in Kentucky, well, we HAVE to drink bourbon. It's a tough job, but someone has to to it.:rolleyes:

We like Maker's Mark, but you might try Woodford Reserve, too.

Love bourbon. As a matter of fact, Buck and I are going to have some mint juleps at cocktail time today.

I have had many bottles of Woodford.. along with Knob Creek, Bakers, Elijah Craig(12 and 18yo), Blanton's, etc. I am kind of a bourbon nut..

Its still interesting taking the time to do side by side comparisons...

When doing comparisons have a plan of sorts....maybe try three different bourbons from one distillery or...You might taste Old Charter, which has a very high corn 86% in it's mashbill, thus a low percent of rye. Then Old Grand Dad with a higher than normal rye content... about 27% Then maybe Evan Williams which has about 13% Rye in it's mashbill...So the tasting order would be OC-EW-OGD...see if you can taste the increasing rye influence, or you could do it in reverse to see if you can detect the rye going away, and the increasing influence of the corn...Or do a blind taste test to see if you can ID them from the rye influence....A fouth item would be to have a simple straight rye on hand...Old Overholt. .....Three or four is all I would do at a tasting...Use good palate cleansing between samples...room temperature water, bread, or unsalted crackers will work....If tasting samples with wide proof content, don't hesitate to to dilute the higher proof selection down to the lower ones. If you don't do this you will mostly just be tasting the difference between 80..90...and 100 proof bourbon...

Or maybe do a blind taste between....EC 12 & 18....or Knob Creek & Beam Black label...See if your wife can trick you....Say giving you two samples of the same bourbon.
or being really sneaky, and slipping one in that's not on the table...Anyway just have plan of what you are doing....Enjoy moderation and....

Have Fun!!

yum....... I went for years thinking I didn't care for Bourbon. Then my friend Lynne Talley, the great grandniece of Jack Daniel, introduced me to Single Barrel Jack! ooooo weee Baby! :cool:

next came the Woodford Reserve. I liked it so much the barrel master gave me six glasses!

just don't mix my Bourbon with any Coke! :wacko:

ChefJune said:
just don't mix my Bourbon with any Coke! :wacko:

Truer words have nver been spoken.........

Miss June if you liked the Single Barrel Jack...next time try some George Dickel Barrel Select. Of the two Tenneessee Whiskeys (not bourbons) The Dickel is pure nectar...You'll be pouring the JD on fire ant hills...:LOL:

Cheers...

Just a little bit longer till Cocktail hour....;)

Truer words have nver been spoken.........

Miss June if you liked the Single Barrel Jack...next time try some George Dickel Barrel Select. Of the two Tenneessee Whiskeys (not bourbons) The Dickel is pure nectar...You'll be pouring the JD on fire ant hills...:LOL:

Cheers...

Just a little bit longer till Cocktail hour....;)

Lookin' forward to trying the G. Dickel, but cannot imagine ever pouring out the Single Barrel Jack! :ohmy:

I do believe you may all be guilty of P.W.I.....
(posting while intoxicated)
:angel::angel::angel:

Pappy Van Winkle and Bookers are particular favourites up here in Jersey:angel:

:ohmy:

I am *SO* checking the liquor cabinet when I get home to make sure you didn't get my bottle of Bookers! :-p

And pay no attention to that even older bottle of Woodruff right next to it. Or the Eagle Rare. :wacko:

Personally, I like most all of them. Just finished off a bottle of Bulleit this past weekend. Next up, I think, is a bottle of Evan Williams.

Just getting into bourbon now. Had Woodford, but I must say about 1/2 of it went into my BBQ sauces. :angel:

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek, which I find has a very nice aroma but is a tad harsh on the palatte.
img_615212_0_a7a936d079f8bb6d956bb5f98787430d.gif

Just getting into bourbon now. Had Woodford, but I must say about 1/2 of it went into my BBQ sauces. :angel:

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek, which I find has a very nice aroma but is a tad harsh on the palatte.
img_615269_0_a7a936d079f8bb6d956bb5f98787430d.gif

The secret to Knob creek is a tablespoon of water...
It really tames the edges and brings out the flavor..

Back
Top Bottom