Which of these wines work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Tomorrow my wife and I are going out for a special dinner. I am ordering the New York Sirloin au Poivre. Can someone look at the wine list at this place and let me know which wine you would choose to go with the steak? I am pretty clueless when it comes to pairing wines with food. Just click on the menu button on the left and then choose wine list. TIA!!!

I'd recommend wither the Chateauneuf Du Pape or the second and third red zinfandels. They handle the spice of the peppercorns as well as compliment the flavor of the beef.

Beyond that, pick your favorite cab or ask the sommolier for a recommendation.

I hope your meal is memorable (in a good way). Fill us in on how it goes.

Again, Happy Anniversary!

Happy Anniversary:) I am not familiar with the wines on that list, but I would have recommended a beaujolis (sp?) which is a very light red wine, which I think would go great with your steak without leaving you feeling too full from a heavy red wine. Personally I like white wine with anything.

By glass most likely although I might be able to talk the wife into a bottle if it is not too expensive, but I doubt it.

I'm allergic to reds, but seem to know a bit about them from others and the h who drinks only red. I'd complement your dinner with this Cabernet Sauvignon:

2001 Kendall-Jackson "Vinter's Reserve" (Napa)
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sharp full-bodied with oak cedar scents[/font]

happy anniversary gb!!!! regards to mrs.b (and a kiss for little rb :) )

i'd go with the '01 rodney strong merlot. ok, so i'm a little behind the times. i'm still into merlot, but i think anything too full bodied or tanin-ey will bury the flavor of the meat.

If you're going by the glass, then I would suggest:

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]001 Echelon Syrah (Central Coast)[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Robust yet elegant this wine is bursting with flavor[/font]7.50

or

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]002 Cline Zinfandel (Sonoma)[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lush currant and plum with cherry oak[/font]7.75
[/font]
If you're going for a bottle, and if your wife get's a steak too, then:

2000 Chateau La Bastide De Dauzac (Margaux)
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
Medium body jammy with berry fruit red currant enhanced by the taste of new oak rich in tannins
[/font]

or

2001 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Smooth and rich with lush currant and plum with cherry and oak overtones[/font]

If your wife get's a dish other than steak, then:

2[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]003 Frei Brothers Pinot Noir (Santa Cruz)
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beautiful regal color, a full rich bouquet ample body and subtle wood overtone[/font][/font]

or

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]002 Fife Redhead Zinfandel (Sonoma)[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full and rich with chewy fruit and smooth finish[/font] [/font]

amber said:
Happy Anniversary:) I am not familiar with the wines on that list, but I would have recommended a beaujolis (sp?) which is a very light red wine, which I think would go great with your steak without leaving you feeling too full from a heavy red wine. Personally I like white wine with anything.

I know very little about wines except how I want them to taste. I have finally found that I like a white chardoney, but have been looking for a light red wine...perhaps a beaujolais is what I've been looking for. I will talk to my wine advisor at the liquor store, and see what they have. She's always pushing Merlot, and I don't like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom