Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yuengling has been making a big push in the market. I guess they finally got the Tampa brewery up to speed enough that it can get outside Florida. It's even available here in Tennessee. :mrgreen:

I need to do another inventory of the beer in my beer fridge for everybody's edification. It's almost full again, and seeing as I'm not drinking nearly as much as I used to, it's bound to stay that way.

Hey GB! Places like whole foods and trader Joe's usually carry lambic beer in single bottles for sale. It's usually about 4 bucks a bottle though :LOL:

And RonJohn! Have you ever judgd at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I did it for a few years. We may have met before...

Hey GB! Places like whole foods and trader Joe's usually carry lambic beer in single bottles for sale. It's usually about 4 bucks a bottle though :LOL:

And RonJohn! Have you ever judgd at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver? I did it for a few years. We may have met before...

Actually, I've never even been to the GABF yet. :( There always seems to be some sort of scheduling conflict that prevents me from attending.

Geez. This morning the NEWS said beer is going up as much as 40%!
There's a hopps shortage!
First water, then gas, then money, now hopps!
What's next??????????????? :-p

Yuengling has been making a big push in the market. I guess they finally got the Tampa brewery up to speed enough that it can get outside Florida. It's even available here in Tennessee. :mrgreen:
Yuengling is brewed in Pennsylvania with a little help from Tampa. Our beer here in NC comes from the PA plant which I'm sure is where Tennessee gets theirs too. Of course, because it's my father's beer of choice, and the fact that I can't say the name, I don't drink it but I know it's been here since I moved to NC.

Geez. This morning the NEWS said beer is going up as much as 40%!
There's a hopps shortage!
First water, then gas, then money, now hopps!
What's next??????????????? :-p

Theres been a hop shortage dating back to late 2006. The harvest of 2008 actually was a higher yield than last year. The real reason prices have gone up is the price of malt and other cheap adjuncts used by some brewers (corn, rice, etc) has risen.

I don't anticipate it to get too out of hand, if it does, Ill just grow my hops and home brew, which i do anyway, minus the hop farm.

Yuengling is brewed in Pennsylvania with a little help from Tampa. Our beer here in NC comes from the PA plant which I'm sure is where Tennessee gets theirs too. Of course, because it's my father's beer of choice, and the fact that I can't say the name, I don't drink it but I know it's been here since I moved to NC.

I got a few cans in my fridge.

Yuengling is the classic lager. I don't imagine the Tampa plant does too much in regards to the orginal plant, the PA plant is huge. Could be wrong though.

wooohooo the pumpkin ales are starting to filter into the liquor stores!!!!! I got Saranac's tonight, not sure if I will try it this evening or not though.. funny how a drink sounds good all day when I am at work, then I get to the store in the evening craving gone! LOL!

My friend and I went in on a case. Its not offensive. Some hops and some weak malt. A bit watery. Not nearly as terrible as any AB product I've tried. Its passable to the average beer drinker, a craft beer drinker may think otherwise. I understand both sides, I would say its merely decent. For AB thats saying something though.

Anybody tried Budweiser Ale? Is it as watery as their lager? Ballentine use to make a passable Pale Ale.

My formal review.....

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | drink: 3
rDev: -6.1%
a. 12 oz bottle poured into my Church Brew Works pint glass. Orangish in color with a soapy off white head that provides a good amount of lace.

s. Fairly scant in the nose department but I am picking up some malt and maybe slight hops. the budweiser yeast strain has a familiar scent too.

t. Starts out with a fairly pronounced hop character of floral hops. A slightly weak malt backing makes the hops stand out more than some reds. A nice buttery note and a bit of roasted grain. The beer does roll off the palate quickly and only leaves a residual muted hop bitterness. Overall..Not bad. Not very good either.

m. For a red, it is very crisp and light bodied. Bordering on medium bodied, for a budweiser product that is commendable.

d. This is a good session beer from budweiser. There I said it. Not breaking the bank, got the case for 25$. Not a world beater either, in fact not even close to many reds on the market. Would be happy with this at places where only BMC are available.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 10-04-2008 16:07:16

wooohooo the pumpkin ales are starting to filter into the liquor stores!!!!! I got Saranac's tonight, not sure if I will try it this evening or not though.. funny how a drink sounds good all day when I am at work, then I get to the store in the evening craving gone! LOL!

This year Ive had the

South Hampton Pumpkin
New Holland Pumpkin
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin
Harvest Moon
Dogfish Head Punkin

the liquor

Out of all of them, id say that the Southern Tier Pumking is the best, creamy pumpkin pie style pumpkin beer Ive had. The dogfish head punkin is a close 2nd.

I managed to try the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. I couldn't really discern a definite "pumpkin" flavor. I will admit that: A) I usually ate something strongly-flavored before I'd down one of those, and ruin my palate for something subtle. B) My Beer palate is practically non-existant.

I have begun buying some of the different beers out there. What I really need to do is go to a liquor store and get something decent, instead of that 3.2 swill they sell at the grocery store. Since this is OK, that may require a trip to MO or KS.

I managed to try the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. I couldn't really discern a definite "pumpkin" flavor. I will admit that: A) I usually ate something strongly-flavored before I'd down one of those, and ruin my palate for something subtle. B) My Beer palate is practically non-existant.

I have begun buying some of the different beers out there. What I really need to do is go to a liquor store and get something decent, instead of that 3.2 swill they sell at the grocery store. Since this is OK, that may require a trip to MO or KS.

I wasnt impressed with the Harvest Moon either. A little too "stout" for me, and I like dark beer. Just not a pleasant taste. Something called Jacks Wicked Pumpkin Spice was my fav last year, hands down. I didnt get around to trying the Saranac tonight... maybe tomorrow. Wow, scheduling when to have a beer... that's a serious problem, eh!!?? haha!

d. This is a good session beer from budweiser. There I said it. Not breaking the bank, got the case for 25$. Not a world beater either, in fact not even close to many reds on the market. Would be happy with this at places where only BMC are available.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 10-04-2008 16:07:16
Was that a 24 bottle case?

Back
Top Bottom