Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gererally speaking I am leery of beers that do not come in brown bottles.

When I first moved to WI my roommate and I would buy Leine's Original in heavy brown returnable bottles. It was good beer, and we could buy it for $12 a case as long as we returned the bottles...

A couple years later they discontinued the returnable bottles due to costs and increase in popularity of recycling. It's still good beer, and it still comes in brown bottles, but they are the regular thickness...

I don't drink beer because I have never gotten used to the taste. And as for wine, unless it is a wine cooler that tastes like a sweet juice I don't care for it either unless I cook with it.

I have a 3/4 bottle of Boone's Farm strawberry something or other in the fridge that has been there since last summer.

I like lemonade, iced tea, and gasp -- cherry koolaid!

I think I love you! Blue chimay is in my top 10 all time faves. Can be an acquired taste for the uninitiated, but oh my, heaven in a proper Chimay gourmet (goblet).

Have you had Red and White? Red really didn't taste all that fabulous, to me. White was eh. Nothing tops a blue. And what's this....a Doree? Hmmmmm.

I had a Fat Tire for the first time tonight and let me tell you.....YUM. YUUUUUUUUUUUUM.

Yum.

Have you had Red and White? Red really didn't taste all that fabulous, to me. White was eh. Nothing tops a blue. And what's this....a Doree? Hmmmmm.

I had a Fat Tire for the first time tonight and let me tell you.....YUM. YUUUUUUUUUUUUM.

Yum.

Been drinking fat tire for about 5 years, very nice well rounded "in stock" beer. Colorado has had some MORE then acceptable fine micros out for a while now, and besides Brooklyn Breweries, might have had more to do with the enlightening of palates then any other micro.....of course, just my opinion.

I don't imagine the Tampa plant does too much in regards to the orginal plant, the PA plant is huge. Could be wrong though.

You'd be surprised. The Tampa plant is the former Stroh's plant and it's monstrous. Reminds me of the Bud brewery in Houston that we used to visit as kids.

Green bottles to me typically mean skunky beer.

Oooh no! Have you had a St Paulies??? Green bottle, no skunky taste. I promise. Same with Rolling Rocks. No skunk that I've noticed. XX...no skunk. Heinies, heavens no, no skunk.

Have ya tried a Mickeys? Yum.

I have to post in this historic thread again. St Paulie Dark or Regular beer is another of my favs.

Oooh no! Have you had a St Paulies??? Green bottle, no skunky taste. I promise. Same with Rolling Rocks. No skunk that I've noticed. XX...no skunk. Heinies, heavens no, no skunk.

Have ya tried a Mickeys? Yum.

Ugh. Skunk, skunk, skunk and skunk. Take a big whiff. :sick: Even my beloved Yuengling Lager is a smidge skunky.

As with wine beer buying here is PA is strangely limited... we have lots of distributors where you have to buy a case.. this makes it hard to try new beers and some fancy beer while good I dont want a whole case of.

Otherwise beer can be bought "to-go" from a bar. Selection is usually pretty limited and prices can be high.... the best choice at my corner bar is High-Life

In spite of this we have alot of good breweries around. I am partial to Phildadelphia Brewing Company because its down the street and the owners do alot for the hood. Also the beer is quite tasty. We have alot of gastro-pubs with excellent taps.

I really like the Slyfox and Troegs products as well. I am not a fan of Yards.

In Philly Yuengling is sort of the default... orderd simply as "lager"

I will not drink Rolling Rock anymore since it is not brewed in Latrobe any longer.

I really really miss Shiner Bock... sadly unavailable here.

Might as well chime in..

When out at the pool hall for hours, I'll do two pitchers of Coors Light. I'll put two salt packets in the first pint out of the pitcher, and add a salt packet every time I refill.

When hanging out with friends, I'll either drink whatever is available, or get a 'make your own six pack' from the grocery store, which usually contains 6 different ones, and I try to get ones I've never had before.

When at a good bar, with a wide selection, I usually go for darker German flavors. I used to get one from my favorite place that was called a 'hacker' (The real name was hachersomethingorother).

Picking a favorite comes down to situation. Hanging out for hours with friends, I go for something light on the pallet. With good red-meat food, I prefer darker and full bodied. For casual drinking when I don't feel like participating in mixed drinks (usually when I'm designated driver), I'll go for a few 'fruity' types (they are like beer, but with either fruit in the brew, or juice or something). Regarding drinking as designated driver, my limit as designated is 1 bottle or pint per hour.

Whenever drinking a not-fruity brew, I usually add a dash of salt to each serving, unless I'm consuming with something salty being eaten.

I'll put two salt packets in the first pint out of the pitcher, and add a salt packet every time I refill.
My initial question to this was why, but then I answered that myself. Obviously it is because it tastes better that way to you. My question then changed to why 2 in the first, but 1 for the refills?

My initial question to this was why, but then I answered that myself. Obviously it is because it tastes better that way to you. My question then changed to why 2 in the first, but 1 for the refills?

Same reason people add salt and lime to a Corona 12 oz. It's common among hispanic/latino beer drinkers. I like it. It does good things to beers. Some beers.

I have seen lime added, but never salt. Regardless, I do not think you read my question jennifer75. I realized it was simply for taste. My question was why does he put two packets of salt in the first drink, but one in every one after that? If it was for taste, as I am sure it is, then why would subsequent drinks require less salt than the first? You would think each would require the same amount.

Back
Top Bottom