"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #231
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Your statement still does not make sense to me though.
Makes perfect sense to me. A lot of people say, "I don't like beer." My best friend's wife says this. My response is, "You haven't tried the right beer."

There are more types of beer than there are types of wine. I've had people say, "I hate beer" and then turn around and drink a Smirnoff Ice. Ummmm... That's *beer.* It's a malt beverage. It's produced in a beer brewery. It starts out as *beer.*

I've turned wine people on to lambics. I've turned liquor fans on to such high grav beers as barleywine. If somebody has a taste for alcohol, and they say they don't like beer, they usually haven't tried the right beer yet.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #232
Chief Eating Officer

The thing that does not makes sense about the statement though phinz is that SixSix210 is saying that so many people do

Here is what does not make sense about the statement though phinz. SixSix210 is saying that so many people on this thread answered that they like bud, coors, etc. SixSix210 then said that no wonder so many people do not like beer when the first beers they drank were bud, coors, etc. The problem I have with the statement is that these people are saying they like beer, not that they do not like it. Not to mention that bud, coors and the like are some of the highest selling beers in the US. People obviously like them or they would not outsell all the other beers out there.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #233
Senior Cook

Unhappy Don't like the bitter taste!

I don't like the bitter taste of beer.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #234
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
I don't like the bitter taste of beer.
Ahhh... but not all beer is bitter.

As Phinz correctly pointed out, there are far more styles of beer than there are wine. Some are extremely bitter, some (most) aim for a degree of balance, and some are more malty/sweet than bitter. And then there are other styles that are more "roasty" featuring flavors closer to a coffee or chocolate, as well as some that feature next to no bitterness in favor of a sweet/sour balance (kinda like a sweet tart).

Of course, not liking beer is completely acceptable too. Some people just don't like it.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
Ahhh... but not all beer is bitter.

As Phinz correctly pointed out, there are far more styles of beer than there are wine. Some are extremely bitter, some (most) aim for a degree of balance, and some are more malty/sweet than bitter. And then there are other styles that are more "roasty" featuring flavors closer to a coffee or chocolate, as well as some that feature next to no bitterness in favor of a sweet/sour balance (kinda like a sweet tart).

Of course, not liking beer is completely acceptable too. Some people just don't like it.
In which case they should start a thread; Who doesn't like beer?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #236
Master Chef

If it is icy cold, I can usually tolerate a beer. I prefer mexican varieties of beer, but normally don't drink it. I cook with it more than anything.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #237
Senior Cook

I love New Castle Brown Ale.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #238
Executive Chef

New Castle Brown is great but sometimes Sam Adams is easier to come by.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #239
Head Chef

My Dad has a new (old) favorite beer again.

A recent return to the brewing scene....

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #240
Master Chef

Speaking of beer - after approximately 5 years of mysteriously disappearing from the shelves of every single market & beverage center in my area, my hands-down favorite - "Yuengling Porter" - has made a sudden & much-welcomed reappearance all over the place. Even in markets that never carried it to begin with. Go figure.