"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #251
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Geez. This morning the NEWS said beer is going up as much as 40%!
There's a hopps shortage!
First water, then gas, then money, now hopps!
What's next???????????????
I thought they said it would only affect some brews because others grow their own hops. I can hope, can't I.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #252
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Geez. This morning the NEWS said beer is going up as much as 40%!
There's a hopps shortage!
First water, then gas, then money, now hopps!
What's next???????????????

Theres been a hop shortage dating back to late 2006. The harvest of 2008 actually was a higher yield than last year. The real reason prices have gone up is the price of malt and other cheap adjuncts used by some brewers (corn, rice, etc) has risen.

I don't anticipate it to get too out of hand, if it does, Ill just grow my hops and home brew, which i do anyway, minus the hop farm.
__________________

__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #253
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Yuengling is brewed in Pennsylvania with a little help from Tampa. Our beer here in NC comes from the PA plant which I'm sure is where Tennessee gets theirs too. Of course, because it's my father's beer of choice, and the fact that I can't say the name, I don't drink it but I know it's been here since I moved to NC.

I got a few cans in my fridge.

Yuengling is the classic lager. I don't imagine the Tampa plant does too much in regards to the orginal plant, the PA plant is huge. Could be wrong though.
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #254
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Anybody tried Budweiser Ale? Is it as watery as their lager? Ballentine use to make a passable Pale Ale.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #255
Cooking Links Contest Winner
 
shannon in KS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wamego, KS
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
wooohooo the pumpkin ales are starting to filter into the liquor stores!!!!! I got Saranac's tonight, not sure if I will try it this evening or not though.. funny how a drink sounds good all day when I am at work, then I get to the store in the evening craving gone! LOL!
__________________
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #256
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
My friend and I went in on a case. Its not offensive. Some hops and some weak malt. A bit watery. Not nearly as terrible as any AB product I've tried. Its passable to the average beer drinker, a craft beer drinker may think otherwise. I understand both sides, I would say its merely decent. For AB thats saying something though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Anybody tried Budweiser Ale? Is it as watery as their lager? Ballentine use to make a passable Pale Ale.
My formal review.....

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | drink: 3
rDev: -6.1%
a. 12 oz bottle poured into my Church Brew Works pint glass. Orangish in color with a soapy off white head that provides a good amount of lace.

s. Fairly scant in the nose department but I am picking up some malt and maybe slight hops. the budweiser yeast strain has a familiar scent too.

t. Starts out with a fairly pronounced hop character of floral hops. A slightly weak malt backing makes the hops stand out more than some reds. A nice buttery note and a bit of roasted grain. The beer does roll off the palate quickly and only leaves a residual muted hop bitterness. Overall..Not bad. Not very good either.

m. For a red, it is very crisp and light bodied. Bordering on medium bodied, for a budweiser product that is commendable.

d. This is a good session beer from budweiser. There I said it. Not breaking the bank, got the case for 25$. Not a world beater either, in fact not even close to many reds on the market. Would be happy with this at places where only BMC are available.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 10-04-2008 16:07:16
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #257
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS View Post
wooohooo the pumpkin ales are starting to filter into the liquor stores!!!!! I got Saranac's tonight, not sure if I will try it this evening or not though.. funny how a drink sounds good all day when I am at work, then I get to the store in the evening craving gone! LOL!
This year Ive had the

South Hampton Pumpkin
New Holland Pumpkin
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
Southern Tier Pumking Imperial Pumpkin
Harvest Moon
Dogfish Head Punkin


the liquor

Out of all of them, id say that the Southern Tier Pumking is the best, creamy pumpkin pie style pumpkin beer Ive had. The dogfish head punkin is a close 2nd.
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #258
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
I managed to try the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. I couldn't really discern a definite "pumpkin" flavor. I will admit that: A) I usually ate something strongly-flavored before I'd down one of those, and ruin my palate for something subtle. B) My Beer palate is practically non-existant.

I have begun buying some of the different beers out there. What I really need to do is go to a liquor store and get something decent, instead of that 3.2 swill they sell at the grocery store. Since this is OK, that may require a trip to MO or KS.
__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #259
Cooking Links Contest Winner
 
shannon in KS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wamego, KS
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I managed to try the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale. I couldn't really discern a definite "pumpkin" flavor. I will admit that: A) I usually ate something strongly-flavored before I'd down one of those, and ruin my palate for something subtle. B) My Beer palate is practically non-existant.

I have begun buying some of the different beers out there. What I really need to do is go to a liquor store and get something decent, instead of that 3.2 swill they sell at the grocery store. Since this is OK, that may require a trip to MO or KS.
I wasnt impressed with the Harvest Moon either. A little too "stout" for me, and I like dark beer. Just not a pleasant taste. Something called Jacks Wicked Pumpkin Spice was my fav last year, hands down. I didnt get around to trying the Saranac tonight... maybe tomorrow. Wow, scheduling when to have a beer... that's a serious problem, eh!!?? haha!
__________________
~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #260
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
d. This is a good session beer from budweiser. There I said it. Not breaking the bank, got the case for 25$. Not a world beater either, in fact not even close to many reds on the market. Would be happy with this at places where only BMC are available.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 10-04-2008 16:07:16
Was that a 24 bottle case?
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.