"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #351
Senior Cook

What exactly does the "best before" date on a bottle mean, exactly?

My local liquor store, which is really not in an area well traveled so I don't imagine their stock moves that quickly, has three times now sold me a bottle six months past its "BBD".

Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #352
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
"Best Before" was established mainly as a marketing strategy to show the beer was fresh. Beer does not age well like a scotch or a bourbon. The sad fact is that most beers that display this "Born On" or "Best Before" date are hardly worth drinking. Sort of like needing a label that changes color so you know the label is cold.

If you ever get a chance to look at a Makers Mark bourbon bottle, check out the nicks in the side of the label. From these nicks they can tell what batch etc the actual whisky came from. Pretty cool.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #353
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox View Post
The sad fact is that most beers that display this "Born On" or "Best Before" date are hardly worth drinking. Sort of like needing a label that changes color so you know the label is cold.
It was on a Fat Tire and also a St Paulies. And they were both Best Before December 08, two different occurrences.

Also, what about beer stored on the shelf in markets...not the cooler with or without exceeding the "BBD"?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #354
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Now, most beers use this tactic as they feel the need to keep up with trends developed by competitors and their marketers. I think it bites them all the butt as a store is not going to send back a pallet of St Paulies because people think its old. Also, if bought, people who check the date and see it expired may have a poor feeling going into the experience of using such a product. In fact they have been drinking beer that was just as old in the past they just did not know it. Just my 2 cents.