Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A girl who really does love beer

I never thought I'd say it, but I do love beer. My boyfriend converted me a few years back. We both had just come of age, and he, being a world traveler already, was intent on finding lots of different beers to try. We lucked out when a Total Wines opened with a significant beer selection and a "build-your-own-six-pack" option. We have tried SO many beers!

I'm not a fan of most domestic beers. They're so light they taste like water. Same thing for most "light" beers. One that I do like a LOT is brewed in Athens, Georgia. It's called Terrapin Rye Pale Ale. It has a light, crisp, refreshing taste, with a sort of citrus-y acidity. Not too hoppy, either. The package features a turtle playing a banjo...:)

I also love love love porters. That rich, dark, coffee-y/chocolate-y goodness is hard to beat! I've been searching high and low for the Yeungling Porter, since I'm a Pennsylvanian who loves her Yuengling...very difficult to find. My favorite porter so far is St. Peter's Old Style Porter, which is an import and somewhat hard to find....try a specialty store!

I am so glad I've discovered the variety of beers! I also love wine, so it's like having two substantial hobbies. I'm virtually guaranteed to always be able to try something new and to always have something to drink with dinner (as long as these hobbies don't drive me to the poor house!).

Last edited:
A turtle playing banjo unmuzzleme? Was this Grateful Dead beer? Were colors more vibrant and did you have a supreme feeling of oneness with the universe thereafter? ;)

As I'm sure a few of you know, I just recently joined the club :)

Just a few hours ago I had a Sam Adams Brown Ale and Hefeweizen...sooo good. Sam Adams black lager is really really good too. New Castle! holy cats that is some good beer.

I was at Old Chicago a while ago with my brother and father and ordered a Mai-ur-Bock by Einbecker, made in Einbeck Germany, where I later found out was the supposed birthplace of Bock beers; This beer was so great I was just speechless the entire time on how good it was. The mai bock was basically wine caliber...the flavors were so complex, it was unreal.

Ugh life is too short...

brad

Last edited:
I love Czech beers, BreezyCooking. Can't stand American Bud (sorry - smells too much like violet scented eau de toilette to me) but love Czech Budweiser Budvar. Just as well it's difficult to get hold of here in Spain. Last time I went back to the department store here that sells specialty beers, I especially went to look for Pilsner Urquell, but none on the shelves... Boo hoo.

The local version of a shandy is popular here - half beer (lager/blonde beer) and half bitter lemon or similar (not clear lemonade). Great in the summer.

Pubs in the UK smell weird to me nowadays - most Brit pub-goers I know seem to be inured to the particular niff but I've got out of the pub habit now - but I love a good bitter, so much so that when I go back to the UK to see my parents, even my Dad now buys me a most unladylike pint rather than a half to save having to go back to the bar so often...

I kinda consider myself a bourgening beer-o-phile. I try new and different beers every chance I get. Recently I tried a local, yet nationally known beer made by Three Floyds Brewing Company here in Munster, IN. It's called "Alpha King". It's a lager of sorts. It's got a great bite with a mellow aftertaste. It has instantly become my mew favorite beer.

Persoanlly, I can't stand beers like Miller Lite, Coors, Bud, etc. I prefer Sam Adams Boston Lager, Modelo Negra, and other darker beers that I can actually taste. Although, on the same notion, I can't stand Guinness or any other beer that's simply Too Dark.

Gosh. I hope there's an Irish DC member to put in a good word for Guinness. I've had glasses of Guinness that have been sublime, and that's outside Ireland, where it's said to taste even better.

kitchen elf, do you mind sharing where in NC that store is located? You can answer me privatley if you'd like at joosbornenc@yahoo.com I'm sure sure my hubby and son would love to visit there if it isn't to far from us. We love to cook with beer and I have a wonderful recipe for a most delicious Guinness Brownie. My son also makes a mean spicy mustard sausage with beer and boiled shrimp is much better boiled in beer. I don't drink much beer but do like to try different and local ones when out and beer's always good with pizza.

Snoop Puss - as I said before, I LOVE Guinness, although here in hot & humid summer VA, it's not my beer of choice. I prefer it during the cooler days.

One more that I really liked, but unfortunately don't recall the name of, was a Thai beer that I had at our local fairly new Thai restaurant. It was quite "beery", but light & refreshing at the same time. Was an absolutely perfect accompaniment to the hot & spicy Thai food & the hot & humid weather.

alcohol is great in moderation! (until college. or until you are 25, like me, & you're like, D***!!!!!!!! i oughta get drunk later!) until you're like this-:blink: & later like this-:wacko:/:sick:/:sleep:/:mellow: ('where's my purse & what city is this?'.)

Beer can be fantastic, it can also be utter rubbish (case in point; american beers (sorry but it's beer-flavoured water), and a few of the mass produced beers here in Australia).

If you can, try to get your hands on a Belgium beer called Duvel Puurs. Quite different, but very good. I'm currently working my way through the Weihenstephan range (in particular the few Hefeweissbier ones). Delicious.

Haggis said:
Beer can be fantastic, it can also be utter rubbish (case in point; american beers (sorry but it's beer-flavoured water), and a few of the mass produced beers here in Australia).

If you can, try to get your hands on a Belgium beer called Duvel Puurs. Quite different, but very good. I'm currently working my way through the Weihenstephan range (in particular the few Hefeweissbier ones). Delicious.

I agree whole heartedly...sorry, AMERICAN BEER(Majority)=Weasle pee
Now before I get flamed, there ARE some great american MICRO brews; Searia Nevada, voodoo, petes...

Try Dunkenweizel, oranjeboom, duval, corsen donk, all belgian hefewiezens...

Phantom of the Kitchen said:
A turtle playing banjo unmuzzleme? Was this Grateful Dead beer? Were colors more vibrant and did you have a supreme feeling of oneness with the universe thereafter? ;)

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Check out the artwork here. It's actually fairly new (introduced 2002), and award-winning already...but a bit post-GD. :punk: And colors start to swim together after a six-pack...:brows::dizzy:

I recently tried a brand called Alpha King, which was recommended to me by a good friend. If you like a good hoppy beer, give that one a shot!

Any beer imported into the U.S. has to be pasteurized, and the alcohol content is controlled. I HATE that! I've had Canadian beer in Canada, and Mexican beer in Mexico, and it is so much better than the swill they export.

I wished I could find a beer that I actually like, with most beers, I end up turning it into a 'red' beer by adding tomato juice for I can not tolerate the after taste. Corona (I know I know... ) is about the only beer that I can consume without tomato juice (although it is good). But it must be ice cold... warm beer just does not go well.

I recently tried SA Summer Ale.... it was ok at first, then I quickly got bored with it. That is it, I get bored with the flavor of beer after the first few drinks!

So anyone any suggestions as to a zesty full bodied beer that will keep me interested?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom