"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Beer is how God shows us he loves us....

Later

Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

rofl run-out!!!! that is great, i can't wait to use that one in the pub. thanks.

umm, elfie, tell him bucky went to ireland. he should look there.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #53
Head Chef

The actual quote is a Ben Franklin quote: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #54
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
This has been fun to read!

I'm a beer guy, but Mrs. Big Dog won't let me drink. I sneak one or two once in a while if I can get away with it, which isn't often.

As I think about it, I've tried more then I thought I had.

Sam Adams: I haven't tried much of theirs, but all we seem to get out here is their regular stuff, and Sam Light. They used to make (still do?) a Honey Porter that I loved. Any of you New Englanders know if they still do?

Leinenkugels (sp?): Heaven forbid I spelled it wrong, but I've not had a beer that they make that I don't like.

Anything made by Miller. Can't stand Budweiser, though they sponsor a heck of a driver in NASCAR. Not thrilled with Kurt Busch taking over the Blue Deuce, but I digress.

Michelob is decent. Mich Golden and Mich Ultra is all I'e tried. I see the new Mich Ultra Amber, which I want to try.

Coors Light is decent too, but towards the bottom of my preferred drinking beers.

Corona with lime. Need I say more?

Summit is a local beer made here in MN. I like some of their stuff, but they tend to lean towards darker beers. I prefer light to medium/amber.

I tried a Jamaican beer, Red Label or Red something, I don't recall. Different, that's for sure.

Another beer I've had, but haven't seen for some time is Red Wolf. T'was over 10 years ago that I had that.

I'll give most anything a go at least once. Tried Guinness, and decided I don't like chewing my beer.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is decent too. Oh, and when I first moved to Minnesota, the girl I was dating at the time, her old man drank Schmit's Beer like it was water. That was/is a beer to get drunk with. No other purpose. Not a beer you drink to enjoy.

I think that covers 'em all for me.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #55
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog

I tried a Jamaican beer, Red Label or Red something, I don't recall. Different, that's for sure.
This would be Red Stripe. That is the only beer I had on my honeymoon in Jamaica.

There was also a bar near my house when I was in my early 20's. The bar used to offer just a few types of beers, but decided to expand their offering to always have 100 different beers. Well Red Stripe was not one they wanted to offer anymore so they needed to get rid of it to make room for the rest of the inventory. My buddy and I enjoyed it and would "help them out" by ordering it. They in turn helped us out by only charging us 25 cents per beer. Boy were those good times
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

geebs and BigDog: when HH and I lived in Tampa/St Pete we discovered Red Stripe. Down there it cost about the same as your regular U.S. stuff, but we liked the RS taste better and got it all the time.

Moved to Virginny, where it's considered exotic (I guess) and costs about $8.50 a six-pack.

So I switched to wine. But reading this thread has made me think of re-thinking that approach.........
Old 03-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

$8.50 for a 6 of RS...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

I know, geebs. Ridiculous. I think we used to get it for about the price of a 6 of Bud or something else inferior.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #59
Assistant Cook

For me it's Bitburger or bust. It's funny because I lived in Germany for 3 years, and walked past the Bitburger brewery about 20 times. After experiencing the smell that came out of that place I had refused to drink their beer. It was worse than any brewery I've ever been to. But now that I'm back in the States I won't drink anything else. I even have my very own Bitburger beer stein!
Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #60
Hospitality Queen

There's a Miller Plant about 10 miles away from me, so I can always smell it as I drive by. I don't mind it at all - reminds me of baking bread.

Apparently, the beer is manufactured at basement level (or so a longtime employee has told me), but there are big, giant, 3-story high drums for all to see as they pass on the freeway.
They clean the big giant drums with soapy water, and every so often, gallons and gallons of suds will spill out the top.

Everytime it happens, their phone lines are filled with "good samaritans" who are calling to say: 1. You're beer is leaking out! Quick! Stop it! and 2. Since I helped, can I get a few free cases?
You also can see people who've stopped on the side of the freeway, taking pictures with their cell phones. And they wonder why Los Angeles has such a traffic problem...