Who Likes Beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very true. I did not quite focus on that part of your post.

I'm going to guess that a double is what it takes to wet his/her willie, then only a single to maintain the flavor...salt is salt afterall and too much is ick.
;)

Adding tomato juice to a beer is for people who aren't drinking beer to drink beer. If you have to flavor your beer, don't drink beer. Drink Vodka. IMO.

My question then changed to why 2 in the first, but 1 for the refills?

Because cold beer doesn't quite dissolve the salt all the way. Two on the first generally keep a little at the bottom when the beer is finished, when you refill off the pitcher, adding 2 more each time accumulates and if the beer gets warm at any point, more will dissolve, taking it from slightly salty to almost sea water.

If its a fresh pint glass every time (like if we take a break at the bar) then its 2 packets.

Also, lime+salt is a hispanic thing, I learned this growing up in Indiana, far removed from hispanic influence. Its actually really common around the midwest to add a bit of salt.

I've heard lots of old wive's tales surrounding it, everything from increasing alcohol absorption to preventing alcohol absorption to all forms of luck, both good and bad. Personally, I prefer the taste. (None of my friends do, though they all tried it... all agree salt ruins it. On the upside, I never worry about them taking mine by mistake!)

Here's a good writeup I found.... http://beeradvocate.com/articles/557
Kinda fits... I more salt the lighter the beer... less salt the more full bodied... the q&a more or less says one of the real reasons was prohibition beer used cheap ingriedients and salt was used as a mask for the flavor. Kinda fits with my use. As per workers and cramping... I used to have it at lunch when I was 13 (only 1 or 2) and it always was salted... when I had my first job detassling corn, which fits with the other real use mentioned.

I've heard lots of old wive's tales surrounding it, everything from increasing alcohol absorption to preventing alcohol absorption to all forms of luck, both good and bad. Personally, I prefer the taste. (None of my friends do, though they all tried it... all agree salt ruins it. On the upside, I never worry about them taking mine by mistake!)

Just like in your Margaritas.....they gotta have salt. Gotta.

We were just talking about salting beer in our Bar & Beverage class yesterday. The salt aids in the release of the CO2, or something like that, aids the foam.
The lime in a Corona is NOT a Hispanic thing, it started as a bet between bartenders to see if they could get a fad started.

The lime in a Corona is NOT a Hispanic thing, it started as a bet between bartenders to see if they could get a fad started.
I have actually heard that the lime was to cover the taste of skunked beer. Since Corona is in a clear bottle there is much more of a chance of it skunking. If that happens, lime helps disguise the bad taste.

I have actually heard that the lime was to cover the taste of skunked beer. Since Corona is in a clear bottle there is much more of a chance of it skunking. If that happens, lime helps disguise the bad taste.

Lime will do wonders for all sorts of nasty light beers.... I am a big fan of lime or lemon in beer in the summer...especially cheap light beers which I really dont like otherwise...

... and wheat beer with w slice of lemon or orange is really nice

Check this out.

I wouldn't necessarily trust either of our links as the be all end all although I probably would trust yours a little more than mine because we all know Wikipedia is not always the best source. That being said though, I think the truth is very possibly a combination of things and that the tradition was not started just in one location. I think numerous people were doing it for different reasons without even knowing others were doing it. That is just my take on it.

I'm having a hard time with this whole "skunky" thing. What makes a beer skunky? Tell me a beer that more than two people call skunky so that I can go buy some and see for myself. I don't get it. I don't.

The only "skunky" thing I know of is rolled between a piece of paper.

Lime will do wonders for all sorts of nasty light beers.... I am a big fan of lime or lemon in beer in the summer...especially cheap light beers which I really dont like otherwise...

... and wheat beer with w slice of lemon or orange is really nice

Blue Moon is fabulous with an orange. Fabulous.

Back to the if a "nasty light beer must have lime in order to be consumed".... don't drink it.

You wouldn't add sugar to a glass of wine, would you?

I'm having a hard time with this whole "skunky" thing. What makes a beer skunky? Tell me a beer that more than two people call skunky so that I can go buy some and see for myself. I don't get it. I don't.

The only "skunky" thing I know of is rolled between a piece of paper.

beer is not made to taste skunky... it skunks when it has been improperly stored handled etc... you want skunk go to a frat house at your local university on Monday and tap into Saturday's keg....or stick that loosie beer from your trunk... the one that escaped the cooler... back on ice the next day and take a swig,

Heineken.. always seems a bit skunkish to me... but that is part of its charm

Blue Moon is fabulous with an orange. Fabulous.

Back to the if a "nasty light beer must have lime in order to be consumed".... don't drink it.

You wouldn't add sugar to a glass of wine, would you?

um...sometimes that's all we got.. some of the bars in my hood not really known for selection or discriminating drinkers.... and sugar alone no.... but I would make sangria with an otherwise undrinkable bottle of wine.... also usually the problem with bad wine is too much sugar so sugar not going to help.... with a bad white... the only way to go is a spritzer.

Beer is like wine, I can alway find the right flavor for the mood I'm in. My friends like beer too, so I alway have the cheap stuff around for them.

I thought they were from California, down in Mexico for a surfing vacation...
but hey, what do I know?
: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom