Why do you cook with wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, most is not cooked off or evaporated. Do a Google search on "alcohol cookoff chart" to see. You will be very surprised.

When I deglaze with any alcohol, stock and or water, I always reduce the liquid.
So it does evaporate. I did not mean i was removing any alcohol. ( I did assume I was, but that was not the reason for deglazing) I meant I was reducing or evaporating most of the liquid in the pan.

In fact if alcohol does remain and I assume your link will prove that, that makes me even happier to be deglazing these dishes! I'm after flavor and could care less if alcohol remains or not.

Last edited:
Our daughter got tipsy on some onion soup while on a high school trip to France. Our penne alla vodka has a nice kick to it. Of course using vodka as a condiment is probably why.;)

My former boss's grandmother made a friendship cake whenever it was someone's birthday or another celebration. She soaked it with either hazelnut liqueur or Bailey's Irish cream before baking. She thought the baking cooked off the alcohol, but no, we could feel it. One new staff member who was a recovering alcoholic actually called her sponsor after the first time she had it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom