Wine pairing suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MimiCooks

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I have to take a dessert to a wine pairing event on Saturday. Does anyone have any suggestions for something really great to pair with Raspberry Creme Brulee?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Mimi

Wilson Creek vineyards in California makes a chocolate port. I think it would pair wonderfully with a raspberry creme brulee.

John

I think a champagne would be too dry for the sweetness in the brulee. But I like the sparkling wine idea. I would suggest a demi-sec or sparkling rosé or rosato.

You could also get a late harvest riesling or even a muscat.

I like to drink ports but not with custard or other egg based desserts. I find that the port and custards can sometimes bring out an unpleasant flavor when paired together.

We tried Gancia Gran Dessert Royal Spumante for ringing in the new year, to go with various sweets. It was gorgeous, had a brilliant aroma and flavour of muscat grape and delicately sweet, one of the best dessert wines I had. It didn't cost much at all, either.

another vote for a sparkling rose, late harvest Rieslling, or a Mostcato d'Asti - all would be very nice with the raspberries and the brulee.

1. Whatever tastes good to you!

I drink very few wines with alcohol levels above 11-12%. I like German Rieslings and sweet reds that have a lot of fruit like "Love my Goat Red" from Bully Hill orchards. About the only exception would be creamy seafood dishes (which I enjoy with a dry white).

A fruity red would complement the raspberries very well, and provide a little edge to cut the cream some between bites. It's richness over a white would also complement the richness of the cream at the same time. The red I listed above has an alcohol content of 11% and is about $10/bottle.

I actually had someone over for ribeye the other night. Dessert was small rounds of pan-fried dough drizzled with a raspberry cream sauce. Not exactly creme brulee, but similar ingredients in the sauce, and we drank a bottle of Love My Goat with the whole meal.

By the way, here is their wesite if you want to check it out...
http://www.bullyhill.com/

Back
Top Bottom